Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic conversion

• 11-02-2015 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

Has anyone managed a decent size attic conversion on a 3 bed end house in Charlesland? And if so has anyone managed to get two bedrooms out if it, decent sized ones. I know the two beds were built for the attics to be converted but that some of the 3 beds were not.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 IrishDerbyfan

Yes, we had ours done1 It's okay as a bedroom with an open stairwell and low cave type ceiling and storage in the walls. About €23K. Alternaively the hip and gable can be extended out so that the gable is flush with the front wall of the house. Obviously a much bigger job, but also a fine big room. A few have done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tess2015

Thanks for that, yeah Im thinking hip and gable would probably be the better option just to gain a bit more space as the rooms are already so small.
    Probably a hell of a lot more expensive too!
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tess2015 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, yeah Im thinking hip and gable would probably be the better option just to gain a bit more space as the rooms are already so small.
    Probably a hell of a lot more expensive too!
    Thanks again.

you'd need planning permission as well, and potentially permission from the mgmt company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Why would you need permission from the mgmt co. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There is likely a legal agreement between the homeowner and the Mgmt Co. not to change the external appearance without written consent from the Mgmt Co.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

astrofluff wrote: »
    There is likely a legal agreement between the homeowner and the Mgmt Co. not to change the external appearance without written consent from the Mgmt Co.

Out of interest what would they do if you did. I doubt they could use our money to take legal action against anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tess2015 wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone managed a decent size attic conversion on a 3 bed end house in Charlesland? And if so has anyone managed to get two bedrooms out if it, decent sized ones. I know the two beds were built for the attics to be converted but that some of the 3 beds were not.

Thanks

Working off memory I think you'd only get one room that meets regs in the attics in charlesland. In some of the end houses you wouldn't get that.

I think 2 rooms would be impossible unless you plan on a single bed being the only floor area. I've seen a few good conversions that make an extra open plan room.

It will all depend on your roof line and yes you will need planning if changing the front aspect afaik you can change the rear aspect.

As far as mgt co. I don't think they allow satellite dishes on the front of buildings so I'd imagine they'll have something to say about the changes to the roof line. They will more than likely oppose any planning applications you make if they don't agree to them. The mgt co a are right shower and should be done away with but that's another story.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    As far as mgt co. I don't think they allow satellite dishes on the front of buildings so I'd imagine they'll have something to say about the changes to the roof line.

Clearly the satellite rule is being ignored and is unenforceable.

But as you suggest changes to the roofline are unlikely to be permitted without prior agreement with the management company as well as planning permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Jimjay wrote: »
    Out of interest what would they do if you did. I doubt they could use our money to take legal action against anyone!

The directors of the Management Co. will spend the company's money whichever way they seem fit in the interests of the estate. Sure they might not take any legal action but when the person goes to sell the company won't sign the form which releases the unit for the sale transaction (the one that says are fees are paid up, etc).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    The directors of the Management Co. will spend the company's money whichever way they seem fit in the interests of the estate. Sure they might not take any legal action but when the person goes to sell the company won't sign the form which releases the unit for the sale transaction (the one that says are fees are paid up, etc).

I didnt realise the Directors of the Management company had any money to spend :-)

so that form will say, is the property paid up to date: YES, do we allow the sale of the house: NO?

Someone needs to send a warning to all these houses around me that have built extensions without consulting the management company that they won't be able to sell their houses :-)

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »

As far as mgt co. I don't think they allow satellite dishes on the front of buildings so I'd imagine they'll have something to say about the changes to the roof line. They will more than likely oppose any planning applications you make if they don't agree to them. The mgt co a are right shower and should be done away with but that's another story.

In charlesland wood there are dishes everywhere. they don't look great but i don't see why anyone should dictate what tv you can buy and not all houses can have the dishes on the backs (which also isn't allowed anyway). A few years ago we had regular letters sent out saying dishes will be removed by a private company if they were not taken down by specific dates. that was never done, could you image the uproar if private contractors came on to your property let alone if they damaged anything, i don't know if they still send them but it didnt work.

I have seen at least three houses in the estate that have changed the roofline on end of terrace and i don't think it makes the any difference to the aesthetics of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

We're thinking of getting an attic conversion for our 3 bed end of terrace in Charlesland Wood. I'd love to hear from people who've done similar for recommendations on builders and general advice. A sneaky peek at yours would also be brilliant if possible!

Advertisement