Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used Bit defender Anti-Virus in a business environment?

• 11-02-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭

Anyone used Bit defender Anti-Virus in a business environment?. Or if not does anyone have any good Anti Virus solutions for a medium sized business they can recommend from first hand experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

There are over ninety platforms to choose from, more to the point what type of environment are you protecting , Hybrid on prem off prem virtual or physical ? How many nodes or endpoints ?

I have used mostly symantec , Trend micro, Eset nod, Mcaffee and many others over my career . There are so many choices, I guess the environment and type of modelling will best draw you closer to an actual nominated solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

Hi Dbit
    Thanks for the response.
    I suppose Hybrid on and off premises with around 50 users (mobile users) as a test environment. Basically i want to build a new OS image for the users and put on a decent AV solution. Using Endpoint protection at the moment and it is pants to be honest. I hope that is a bit clearer.

Being that they are mobile you are most likely going to have to opt for agent based as in they cannot all report back to an agentless solution unless that solution sits in the public domain (Not recommended)

I work myself for Trend micro in the cloud technology space. So the decision would be factored around cost - features and real world functionality . I do not want to sound like a sales person as i do not sell the products, I never have done that's not something I concern myself with but on your side it all counts.

Something i have been very impressed since joining them, is the deep security product , its extremely feature rich with anti malware, AV , ips and dps firewalling and my favorite feature is the ability to block OS vulnerability lists before the vulnerable vendor patches them selves . (IPS intrusion prevention system)

IF light weight foot print is of the utmost then Nod32 wins but agentless would trump that if possible, in terms of resource consumption client side.

Deep sec also has a feature to monitor all the OS files as well as sys dirs and you can set a baseline machine template with auto approvals to model all the rest upon . (Set one apply to all)

Symantec do have nice little client options as well in relation to resource's used to love the un-managed lightweight client they had.

Office scan is a basic enough solution but with the deep sec you have a total strangle hold on the entire functions of remote mobile users from URL's accessed, sys changes, intrusion , Firewalling and anti malware it uses then the cloud for all clients to be able pull the whitelists and so on for the roaming users.

hope that's of some use . its all down to what feature sets and budget you have for it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6 Vangel

Sounds a little strange as it isn't really a full AV but Malware Bytes is a very good choice in my opinion.

It's pretty much always the first to detect threats and deal with them.

Vangel wrote: »
    Sounds a little strange as it isn't really a full AV but Malware Bytes is a very good choice in my opinion.

It's pretty much always the first to detect threats and deal with them.

Have always loved and used malwarebytes over the years .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭gitane007

HI Lads

Thanks for your responses. Yeah , i have found myself needing to use malwarebytes to sort out a lot of issues that the current AV we use can't seem to detect. Have any of you guys been using malwarebytes are a primary AV solution for your OS images?.....anyone and idea of costs?.

gitane007 wrote: »
    HI Lads

Thanks for your responses. Yeah , i have found myself needing to use malwarebytes to sort out a lot of issues that the current AV we use can't seem to detect. Have any of you guys been using malwarebytes are a primary AV solution for your OS images?.....anyone and idea of costs?.

Its not an av client only malware and.pup detector it will sense various av associated files buts its not a full dedicated av suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

dbit wrote: »
    Being that they are mobile you are most likely going to have to opt for agent based as in they cannot all report back to an agentless solution unless that solution sits in the public domain (Not recommended)

I work myself for Trend micro in the cloud technology space. So the decision would be factored around cost - features and real world functionality . I do not want to sound like a sales person as i do not sell the products, I never have done that's not something I concern myself with but on your side it all counts.

Something i have been very impressed since joining them, is the deep security product , its extremely feature rich with anti malware, AV , ips and dps firewalling and my favorite feature is the ability to block OS vulnerability lists before the vulnerable vendor patches them selves . (IPS intrusion prevention system)

IF light weight foot print is of the utmost then Nod32 wins but agentless would trump that if possible, in terms of resource consumption client side.

Deep sec also has a feature to monitor all the OS files as well as sys dirs and you can set a baseline machine template with auto approvals to model all the rest upon . (Set one apply to all)

Symantec do have nice little client options as well in relation to resource's used to love the un-managed lightweight client they had.

Office scan is a basic enough solution but with the deep sec you have a total strangle hold on the entire functions of remote mobile users from URL's accessed, sys changes, intrusion , Firewalling and anti malware it uses then the cloud for all clients to be able pull the whitelists and so on for the roaming users.

hope that's of some use . its all down to what feature sets and budget you have for it .
    Hello ,

Given that you work in the industry you might be able to help me.

I was also looking into getting bitdefender for a small business with less s than 10 pcs in my accountancy office. However due to the costs associated with this and due to the fact it is a small business I am curious to know would free antivirus be a suitable option? If so who would you recommend?

dakid wrote: »
    Hello ,

Given that you work in the industry you might be able to help me.

I was also looking into getting bitdefender for a small business with less s than 10 pcs in my accountancy office. However due to the costs associated with this and due to the fact it is a small business I am curious to know would free antivirus be a suitable option? If so who would you recommend?

AVG and other houses offer nice free platforms , also offering paid for solutions with actual support if needed. As to the success rates of detection that's not something i hold information on personally nor have i bench marked, (for the free apps). Possibly other forum members can come up with a better guide to the free platforms and they're effectiveness .

Only suggesting this but in my experience of chattering with fellow techies no one would encourage that you run corporate enterprise on free solutions even if they are SME. I guess if you have time to be ruthless and vigilant monitoring the free platfrom you may find that certain feature sets are not there as this si why the paid for solutions surpass the free ones they are more feature rich and can sometimes or more often than not catch vulnerabilities before the free platform , WHY ??? well the free platforms will not have the engineer base that the paid for solution does .

ITs a good question and possibly requires a new thread ???? to gain a pool of info from all and the quirkes found in each case for the free tiers ?

As you have said its for an office my response would have to be do not use a free tier , but thats only my opinion .

IF slipstreaming into a build or OS for auto deploy (OR all apps embedded) I would look to the nod32 space they're software has a tiny footprint on the machine and is as good as any other paid for solution. Per seat licensing from them is comparable also to any other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

dbit wrote: »
    AVG and other houses offer nice free platforms , also offering paid for solutions with actual support if needed. As to the success rates of detection that's not something i hold information on personally nor have i bench marked, (for the free apps). Possibly other forum members can come up with a better guide to the free platforms and they're effectiveness .

Only suggesting this but in my experience of chattering with fellow techies no one would encourage that you run corporate enterprise on free solutions even if they are SME. I guess if you have time to be ruthless and vigilant monitoring the free platfrom you may find that certain feature sets are not there as this si why the paid for solutions surpass the free ones they are more feature rich and can sometimes or more often than not catch vulnerabilities before the free platform , WHY ??? well the free platforms will not have the engineer base that the paid for solution does .

ITs a good question and possibly requires a new thread ???? to gain a pool of info from all and the quirkes found in each case for the free tiers ?

As you have said its for an office my response would have to be do not use a free tier , but thats only my opinion .
    Thank you for this information I now think I am better off going for the paid version of anti virus.

Advertisement