Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage unit issue

Options
  • 11-02-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I bought a brand new house in May last year, first one of small-ish new development of circa 20 houses.

The house has an allocated underground car park space and storage unit.

When we were buying the underground car park and storage units were not finished. I was shown a finished unit and was told that mine will be same size.

The issue is that when I got my keys the storage unit turned out to have a 1m tall and 1m wide and 3m long block of concrete in it along one of the walls. I asked the solicitor and I was told that I have very little chance to fight that. Felt hard done by etc.

2 months forward, I found that if I put anything in the storage unit, it will get covered in mould patches. I asked the builder to investigate but they aren't willing to do anything despite me trying many times and providing evidence. There is a high humidity and no ventilation whatsoever plus a manhole with water in it.

Obviously I was expecting a storage unit of normal shape and no damp but looks like this is not going to happen unfortunately.

This whole issue is doing my head in, is there any way to make pressure on the builder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Sounds like you own the unit, probably going to be up to you to dehumidify / insulate the storage space if you want it that way.

I can understand having issue with the block of concrete though. I think I'd push for some form of reimbursement if you were buying the property under the pretense that the storage unit was of X m³ capacity and what you received is X - 3m³. Not sure it'd be worth your time pursuing though but can understand the annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

Well, I own the unit but don't think I can cover the manhole (this is where flood water from the car park etc would go ie through my storage unit), and I don't think I can make vents in the walls due to fire prevention. I asked the builder about it but they didn't bother to come back to me.

The concrete block is taking half the floor space and makes it awkward to organize. In fact, despite doing loads of builder related work in the house I can't come up with sensible storage solution there as all that's left is 3m long 1.40m wide floor space with door in the middle of it. Pathetic.

I came here looking for advice before spending money on questionable court case or fixing the unit myself (sealing the manhole/drain and drilling a vent in the wall) which I don't think is 100% legit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The issue is that when I got my keys the storage unit turned out to have a 1m tall and 1m wide and 3m long block of concrete in it along one of the walls. I asked the solicitor and I was told that I have very little chance to fight that. Felt hard done by etc.
    Does it hum? Also, was it in the plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

the_syco wrote: »
    Does it hum? Also, was it in the plans?

It doesn't make any sound. The house plans didn't include the underground car park and storage units at time of sale. They are included in the contract of sale though.

• Advertisement

They are included in the contract of sale though.
    Does the contract mention "floor space"? Also, check with the owner of the neighbouring storage space to see if there's anything on the other side of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

We might get a slap soon for skirting close to legal territory but it's probably worth your while talking to your solicitor, preferably the same one you used to buy the house.

The storage unit is YOUR property, unless you signed an agreement that you wouldn't make modifications (e.g. installing a vent, moving the man hole) then I don't see how you could be pursued legally for doing so. If there is an agreement not to make such modifications then surely that same agreement will have the dimensions of the storage unit explicitly specified. If these don't match your unit then you can go from there with your solicitor.

Before you move it, find out what it is, in case it's something that shouldn't be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Eldarion wrote: »
    We might get a slap soon for skirting close to legal territory but it's probably worth your while talking to your solicitor, preferably the same one you used to buy the house.

The storage unit is YOUR property, unless you signed an agreement that you wouldn't make modifications (e.g. installing a vent, moving the man hole) then I don't see how you could be pursued legally for doing so. If there is an agreement not to make such modifications then surely that same agreement will have the dimensions of the storage unit explicitly specified. If these don't match your unit then you can go from there with your solicitor.

Unless the OP lives in some strangely organised development the only thing they own is the air inside the storage unit, the MC owns the walls/roof/floor etc. They also don't own any walls, the balcony or attic in their apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

House, the OP has a house from my reading.

OP as you can see you'll get 15 people posting here and 17 opinions. If you really want something done you're going to have to go through your solicitor and likely have to sue.

Even if there was enough detail legal advice can't be given here, we don't even know if the house is freehold/lease hold, what ownership type the OP has ove the unit/space, what covenants are contained etc. etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement