Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC makes weird chirps

Options
  • 11-02-2015 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

PC has made a sporadic high pitch chirp for a while, It happens a couple times an hour any have an idea what it could be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

PCSharkey wrote: »
    PC has made a sporadic high pitch chirp for a while, It happens a couple times an hour any have an idea what it could be?

Is it a laptop, or a desktop?

Any more of a description of the sound? Are the speakers on when it happens?

If its not coming through the speakers there's only a few things that actually move inside a computer, mainly you'd be looking at the Fans and the Hard disks.

There is a chance that the motherboard is making such noises, but I would think it unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

First guess would be hard drive issue. Back it up as soon as you can. At least then you won't lose anything. Run licensecrawler or similar to get a backup of all the software licenses you will need for a reinstall with a new HDD, if the current one is about to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Chirp to me sounds like the fan bearings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Could be a bird trapped in the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Could also be the PSU ? Switched mode PSUs run at normally inaudable frequencies but an unusual load or loose inductor could cause a chirping noise.

My money is on PropJoe10's suggestion though and I'll go one further and suggest it's a Robin . . . .

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PCSharkey

Thanks for the response, its a custom built desktop, it's hard to describe it sounds electronic, it's not coming from my headphones definitely the PC, I have a xfx 750w PSU and I recently switched to a ssd and I don't have anything but games on so I don't need to back up. I have one stock fan left the other one's ballbearing wore out in october and it sounded like a drill compared to this high pitch squeak. Could it be the optical drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭dmc17

My laptop was randomly chirping for a while too but it seems to have stopped now (the bird inside must have died!). I posted about it here including a sound clip if you want to compare.

Advertisement