Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Month Grad Visa

Options
  • 11-02-2015 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I know there's a few threads on this already but I'm looking for some information a bit more specific!

I'm finishing my degree in Accounting and Finance in May and hoping to go on the grad visa to Boston! I'm just wondering if anyone has any feed back on this area, as in getting jobs etc? I've heard Boston is great for the whole Finance area but I've been a bit freaked by the amount of people who couldn't get paid internships! I'm all for the learning experience but I can't see how it's viseable with out some sort of wages! I've a meeting on friday with the careers services in my college so I'm hoping he might have some sort of connevtions and insights but I really want to hear what people taught? And if anyone has been in the same area as Accounting?

Even if anyone could reccomend and area that has maybe better oportunities for this field? Just don't say New York haha

Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Grayce23 wrote: »
    I know there's a few threads on this already but I'm looking for some information a bit more specific!

I'm finishing my degree in Accounting and Finance in May and hoping to go on the grad visa to Boston! I'm just wondering if anyone has any feed back on this area, as in getting jobs etc? I've heard Boston is great for the whole Finance area but I've been a bit freaked by the amount of people who couldn't get paid internships! I'm all for the learning experience but I can't see how it's viseable with out some sort of wages! I've a meeting on friday with the careers services in my college so I'm hoping he might have some sort of connevtions and insights but I really want to hear what people taught? And if anyone has been in the same area as Accounting?

Even if anyone could reccomend and area that has maybe better oportunities for this field? Just don't say New York haha

Thank you :)

I've got two friends that have been on it, both had to have rent paid for by parents, otherwise they would've had to have come home. Both had paid internships, but the wages were so little that it barely covered day to day expenses. Both had the best time ever though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    I've got two friends that have been on it, both had to have rent paid for by parents, otherwise they would've had to have come home. Both had paid internships, but the wages were so little that it barely covered day to day expenses. Both had the best time ever though!

And were they in the Accounting area? I haven't taken money off my parents since I was 18 so I really wouldn't want to be asking them for anything! I figure if I manage to save 5,000 before I go that should subsidise a low wage! But that's easier said then done! And were they in Boston?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lainedog

Hey!

I'm hoping to do the 12 month grad visa as well. However, I've heard that it can be really difficult to find a suitable internship that will pay enough to support yourself. What's the strictness on jobs? Because the visa you get is still a J-1 but a 12 month one? I know they list all "normal" jobs as unskilled and therefore not acceptable but if it supports your stay, I wonder can you get away with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

lainedog wrote: »
    Hey!

I'm hoping to do the 12 month grad visa as well. However, I've heard that it can be really difficult to find a suitable internship that will pay enough to support yourself. What's the strictness on jobs? Because the visa you get is still a J-1 but a 12 month one? I know they list all "normal" jobs as unskilled and therefore not acceptable but if it supports your stay, I wonder can you get away with it?

People have been deported for not staying within the terms of this visa.

http://www.thejournal.ie/iiic-boston-irish-student-j-1-visa-sent-home-924462-May2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

OP if your still interested send me a PM if you get the visa my wife and I both work for finance firms in Boston. As a graduate we should be able to get you an entry level position for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

I sent you a PM there, sorry for the late reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SteelyDan93

Hi Grayce23,

Finished up my degree in Economics and considering Boston too. I'm wondering what your plan is regards accommodation? I went to the states for a summer before but was going over with a few friends, and we managed to get accommodation through craigslist before we arrived. Seems like a daunting prospect going through the process alone!

Advertisement