Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you play one game at a time or dip in and out of numerous games?

Options
  • 11-02-2015 5:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

Just curious to see if anyone else here plays a load of games rather than finishing one before moving onto the next.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If I don't play only the one game, or a console/PC game and handheld one for bed, then those games never get finished or else I end up having to start them again. It's a vicious cycle, best to keep to one game but sometimes the temptation to double/triple/quadruple... etc. dip gets too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Recently I have made an effort to go back and play games that I got maybe 6 months ago or more. I usually just played my most recent game. Now I dip in and out of BF4, Resogun, Diablo, GTA V, Far Cry, Dragon Age, Destiny and The Last of Us(factions). I started to realise how much I enjoy all of these games and each for different reasons so I'm glad I did make the effort to go back and do it that way. I used to burn out on my 'main' game and my enjoyment levels dropped but by going into my older games I feel like I'm getting more enjoyment out of playing my PS4 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I definitely play a few at once but not multiple games of the the same genre. The time of the week and tiredness levels definitely dictate what I play.

I'm currently balls deep in Mass Effect 2 but that's strictly for weekends due to how easy it is to lose hours upon hours playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I envy people who can stick to one game. I usually play 4-5 games and then get bored half way and move on to another 4-5 games.

Playing games like Wot and Space engineers does not help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Got a PS4 at Xmas. Have managed to stick to one game so far. Finished The Last of Us and then Far Cry 4. Still have GTAV sitting in its wrapping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

I am a one game man, then maybe a few games of online fifa or cod.

Getting platinum on farcrybwas was a hard hard slog, just finished rogue I still have unity, shadow of morder, Metro last light and evil within waiting to be played.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I try very hard but I always have a couple of game going on the go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm a dipper :(
    Meaning I have a vast quantity of games and no hippie whatsoever of finishing a double digit percentage of them all.
    Bugger...

I do, on occasion, manage to focus my troubled mind on one but this is rare.
    I start with good intentions but some new shiny thing cones along and distracts me.
    Bugger....

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

It really depends - am I enjoying the current game? If I am, I'm focused (more than I should be) on that game and, pretty much all I do is play that game. If I'm not into it... I'll do anything to avoid playing it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I try and stick to the one at a time as I feel guilty if I have abandoned another game for something shiny and new.
    Too many games sit there looking at me saying finish me that I want to finish but I know I will have moved on and they are left there in the dark crying into their virtual tissues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

I can never just stick to just one game at a time.. I usually play 2-3 games at a time maybe playing a level / mission from each per night.
    Then I get bored of them and move onto another 3-4 games.. vicious circle..
    On the odd occasion I may go back and think about finishing one, this rarely happens. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I stick with one game at a time, but I tend to get to the last bits and kinda get bored and just stop playin. I think about finishing it while looking at what I'll play next then just move on, not a great way to finish games, if I ever get to the end.

I will change this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The OCD in me means sometimes I can't put a game down even if I'm not enjoying it. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Fallout New Vegas but did not like the DLC at all and really should have just stopped playing them instead of spending another 20 hours on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I have a main game and then some palate cleansers. I couldn't focus on multiple story driven games at once. I think it's because of that horrible feeling of coming back to a game mid way through after not playing it for a couple of months and then completely forgetting the controls. Would be great if devs incorporated a system to check the timestamp of your last save and be like, "hey, you haven't played in awhile, would you like us to turn on some on screen prompts even though your half way through our game?"

Main game at the moment is Halo TMCC, finally onto Halo 4.

The Palate Cleansers;
    GTA Online
    Dance Central: Spotlight
    Titanfall

now fallout new vegas presented me with an issue. i love my games to be story driven but not too much choice or customisation, perfect example would be the bioshock series. I have no issues with games like assassin creed having loads of collectables or side missions.

But in fallout when i got to new vegas i was given a number of different choices to advance the story. now obviously this is the point were the replayability comes into it, but i couldnt make the choice i simply put the game down never to return as i knew i wouldnt play out all the scenarios

bit strange but its happened a few times.

recyclops wrote: »
    now fallout new vegas presented me with an issue. i love my games to be story driven but not too much choice or customisation, perfect example would be the bioshock series. I have no issues with games like assassin creed having loads of collectables or side missions.

But in fallout when i got to new vegas i was given a number of different choices to advance the story. now obviously this is the point were the replayability comes into it, but i couldnt make the choice i simply put the game down never to return as i knew i wouldnt play out all the scenarios

I was like that as well for a while until it finally clicked with me, these are 'role playing' games, as in you play the role of the character. Western RPGs are direct descendents of Tabletop role playing which is all about making choices and living with the consequences. So you choose the choices the as the character you have choosen to play would make them and see how the game plays out. The best thing about New Vegas I thought was how tough the decisions were to make unlike stuff like Mass Effect, Bioshock or Dragon Age where the decisions are really stupidly divided between be a goody two shoes are a complete dick. It's the shades of grey (ooh err!) that make New Vegas, and Obsidian's, games so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

For me it really depends on the games out at the time. When I got the PS4 it was to play The Last of Us, fantastic game. Moved on to Thief after that but failed to finish due to the release of Destiny, I'll keep Thief on standby for when my internet connection drops. Just before xmas I picked up GTA5 and had a few hours mooching around but just had to get back to Destiny so when I finally play GTA again I'd be as well to start from the beginning. For this reason I generally try to stick to one at a time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

recyclops wrote: »

I was the same , I didn't enjoy the after that point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

My news years resolution (which i'm amazingly sticking to) was to finish out a game at a time if I was enjoying it before starting something new. I've also kicked the destiny habit, as whilst enjoyable, it's essentially meaningless, and a waste of my precious gaming time.

I made a spreadsheet and listed the games I currently have and the ones I intend on buying over the year. I checked the website howlongtobeat.com to see what the average playtimes are, then arranged them in such a way that I wont be totally bogged down in fps after fps. And I've allowed for dabbling in diablo 3 and Forza horizon 2 as palate cleansers on an ongoing basis

So far, for january I've completed Wolfenstein and Far Cry 4 (I know that contradicts my previous sentence, so sue me :) )

my list / schedule is as follows

Dying light
    Tomb Raider
    Mirrors Edge
    Shadow of Mordor

That lot should see me sorted till the end of april I reckon.

I was the same , I didn't enjoy the after that point

You got to let go man, let the game take you on a journey. Knowing you're missing out on stuff is part of what makes those decisions so meaning full.

I admit I was the same as well but playing some tabletop RPGs for the first time really opened my eyes and I realised I didn't get Western RPGs because I was playing them wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You got to let go man, let the game take you on a journey. Knowing you're missing out on stuff is part of what makes those decisions so meaning full.

I admit I was the same as well but playing some tabletop RPGs for the first time really opened my eyes and I realised I didn't get Western RPGs because I was playing them wrong.

I do get annoyed by games that limit you to one save, so if theres a very clear game changing decision, the only way to experience the alternative is to replay the entire game. - I'm looking at you, wolfenstein.
    Sorry Far Cry 4, I'll never know how sabals story differs from amitas, or what happens if I pull the trigger at a certain point either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

One game at a time, man.

Play it to death, obsess about it - then never play it again!

Currently in Destinyville. But the fugue state is starting to dissipate.

Have Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC and Game of Thrones Episode 1 waiting.

I do get annoyed by games that limit you to one save, so if theres a very clear game changing decision, the only way to experience the alternative is to replay the entire game. - I'm looking at you, wolfenstein.
    Sorry Far Cry 4, I'll never know how sabals story differs from amitas, or what happens if I pull the trigger at a certain point either.

Well something like Bioshock or Wolfenstein the single binary choice makes so little difference there's no need to play each one either.

As for a big 40+ hour game like Farcry or Fallout New Vegas, so you really need to playthrough it again and will you even enjoy it the second time. People need to let go and enjoy the experience the game offers, you don't need to see everything or get every achievement. There's also too many other games out there worth playing to be doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

At the moment I'm currently playing:
    PES 2015
    Titanfall
    Resident Evil
    Battlefield 4
    and I still have to play episode 2 of Game of Thrones!

my list is

metro last light,
    evil within
    shadow of mordor,
    ass creed unity

i may put something else in between the last two to mix it up but i will play some cod and fifa in between online

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I play one game at a time. Used to get through a steady stream of them every year until Destiny came out last September. Haven't played any other game since.

The new Arkham game will get a play through and I have everything crossed that a new Fallout is on the horizon. Then Destiny might get a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Single player games, one at a time... for multiplayer I switch in between whatever I'm in the mood for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm all over the place these days. There's only a handful of games that I actually keep going back to to either clear or keep getting fun out of and that's Black Mirror, a really f'ing good point n' click imo and Warframe for action that I just can't seem to find in other games right now.

I honestly just don't think games are as good as they used to be (KIDS_THESE_DAYS.exe) but sometimes things still hook me and I play them through to the end like the good ole days... Killer Is Dead managed to get me like that and I expect The Witcher 3 might be the same deal.

But even with these great games I still hop between them. I think I'd only sit down and play 1 game without changing to another if it was from a series I really loved and was a proper addition to it. Like... Devil May Cry 5 or Silent Hill 5 made by original dev teams... that'd probably stop my game hopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

Generally speaking, I dip in and out of games. Sometimes when I get a new game, I finish it quickly like Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Batman: Arkham City. I got them as Christmas presents (different years) and completed them over the Christmas break. But they are unusual examples.

Often I get a game, play a little to get the feel of it and then get distracted by something else. Last year however, I got obsessed over Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning and spent most of last year going through it.

Games I go back to again and again are Bioshock and games in the Borderlands series. I got Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for Christmas and almost finished on one character class but have now decided to alternate all the other classes so I think I'll be down that rabbit hole for a while. After that, I'm sure I'll be back to my usual random play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I usually play one game at a time, but I'd have a constent stress relief game (usually an online game of some sort) under it.

So I might say for example be playing the campaign of Grey Goo, but when I get frustrated with it or need a break from RTS I have war thunder that'll I'll pop open for a few matches before going back to grey goo.

Advertisement