Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you play one game at a time or dip in and out of numerous games?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I dip in a lot. I try to avoid this as much as possible though but doesn't always work. On occasion I put hours into one game. Watch Dogs and GTA V were two recent big games that I only made time for.

Playstation Plus has a lot of content and downloading 4 games (2 on PS3, 2 on PS4) causes me to dip in and out and given the varied choice and genres, it's easy to become distracted and dive into multiple titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Two games max for me. One serious I'm working through and one I just tipping away at. Cant handle more than that - keep getting mixed up with the buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm awful at sticking with big, story driven games these days as I haven't the time, so I tend to play things that only need a few minutes at a time.

A race or two in GT6, a few levels of Mario, few games of Street Fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

If that game is good enough then ill just stick with the one until its complete. On that onte years ago i was about 1/2 way through the sands of time went on holiday for 3 weeks came back and never finished it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I try to stick to one singleplayer game and one indie type game that i know would be short. But then i have other multiplayer and somewhat unending games, like Warframe, League of Legends, Diablo, Terraria, Hearthstone, Call of Duty that just ruin everything.

Tough life being a gamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I dip in and out of games - there is a few staples with hundreds or thousands of hours in my Steam library, but vast majority of the time I buy a game, play a few hours, and come back a few weeks later or not at all.

I'm inordinately impressed with myself for completing Max Payne 3, because I almost never complete games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You got to let go man, let the game take you on a journey. Knowing you're missing out on stuff is part of what makes those decisions so meaning full.

I admit I was the same as well but playing some tabletop RPGs for the first time really opened my eyes and I realised I didn't get Western RPGs because I was playing them wrong.

That's very interesting, which tabletop RPGs did you play?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've just got to focus more.
    I have two Etrian Odyssey games there and barely gotten past the tutorial on both!
    It's like I bought them because they are stone cold classics and I should love them but, now I have them, I can't find the passion to play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've just got to focus more.
    I have two Etrian Odyssey games there and barely gotten past the tutorial on both!
    It's like I bought them because they are stone cold classics and I should love them but, now I have them, I can't find the passion to play them.

Trust me or not, it's pretty common thing with older games. You'll die to play them again until you don't actually purchase them and install. From that moment on you'll be struggling to play them and you'll hate yourself.
    Been there, done that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nesf wrote: »
    That's very interesting, which tabletop RPGs did you play?

Well it's been a while. It was mostly Pathfinder with a group that a friend introduced me to. Had to move away for work so couldn't attend anymore and then the guy that ran them died suddenly from cancer so that put a spanner in the works :(

But yeah I think anyone interested in games and how the mechanics have evolved should play some D&D considering how much it has influenced videogames from the very beginning. It's amazing to see just how much D&D roots are still in many games, even in genres you wouldn't expect it. Board games as well. I'd even say it's essential for game designers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I used to be a one game man and up until Destiny, and the huge backlog that Games with Gold has created for me, I was. I'm finding that harder and harder to do now though.

Destiny has been a crazy obsession of a game. Yes it's pointless but when I start playing it the hours just slip by. Afterwards you realise you only progressed such a ridiculously small fraction for a character who is nearly already maxed out that you decide to do it all again with a new character. Never has a game gotten under my skin like this.

So because of that, I've now got 4-5 games I'm chipping my way through on 360 and another 3-4 I'm splitting my non Destiny time between on XB1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I gave up on Destiny. I realised once I hit the light point farming phase that I was playing it for hours for little game and it was a complete waste of time. I've too many other better games to play than to be playing the same missions over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The thing about Destiny is that everyone that plays it knows its flaws, but it's still very rewarding. Co-ordinating a team of people to take down some of the harder content for the first time is some of the best fun I've had in a game in ages. I love games that have a strong social aspect, even if Bungie didn't exactly set the world alight with how they got people to interact.

If they can minimise the grind, which they have done quite a bit since launch with various patches, and get more content out this game will be one of the best of its generation. Unfortunately when you are involved with a Big Gaming publisher like Activision, stuff gets stripped out and drip fed in DLC to bleed nore money out of you. The guy that buys GOTY edition Destiny in a year's time for 50 quid, with all the balancing having been completed and all the dLc released, will be getting one hell of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

At least the lull in Destiny content from about no until HoW expansion will allow me to catch up on the ridiculous backlog I've accumulated.... Which is embarrassing.... so so many great games going unplayed right now :-/

At least I can play Destiny mouldy drunk and talking $hite about grenade types and PvP maps though :D

I'd say after next week I'll be reducing my Destiny playing in a big way though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Cormac... wrote: »
    At least the lull in Destiny content from about no until HoW expansion will allow me to catch up on the ridiculous backlog I've accumulated.... Which is embarrassing.... so so many great games going unplayed right now :-/

At least I can play Destiny mouldy drunk and talking $hite about grenade types and PvP maps though :D

I'd say after next week I'll be reducing my Destiny playing in a big way though

I've been one of the most frequent moaners / decryers of the flaws of destiny, but jaysus there's some sort of magic formula in there that keeps tempting me to go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i bought evil within and ass creed rogue in the PS sales. Dipped in and out of tehm both as just sticking with Evil within would have driven me insane with the load times! Now I have finished teh story mode in rogue(at 49% completion, a new low record for me even) and evil I am on only chapter 3....will get there eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I got to Chapter 3 aswell with Evil Within and put it down too.
    Reason being I was drunk most of the christmas break and it was too intense and unforgiving.
    So I just played Shadow of Mordor instead :)
    Keep meaning to go back and Finish Far Cry 4 too, which I started around that time.
    Got about 25% of the way through and I'm like "meh" when I think of throwing it on.
    It's a great game, but seems a bit elongated in the wrong ways

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well it's been a while. It was mostly Pathfinder with a group that a friend introduced me to. Had to move away for work so couldn't attend anymore and then the guy that ran them died suddenly from cancer so that put a spanner in the works :(

But yeah I think anyone interested in games and how the mechanics have evolved should play some D&D considering how much it has influenced videogames from the very beginning. It's amazing to see just how much D&D roots are still in many games, even in genres you wouldn't expect it. Board games as well. I'd even say it's essential for game designers.

Yeah, it's fairly interesting to play D&D and see all these links you didn't know existed, like just how damage, attack etc are modeled in many, many Western RPGs. Then you can read about how D&D had its roots in minature wargaming and the early phase of Western Fantasy novels and see even more stuff in a game released in 2014 that is clearly tied to ideas written down in the 70s. You see the same thing with many wargaming systems (both minature and computer) that have core ideas that clearly came from the likes of Advanced Squad Leader and similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

My backlog is becoming insane, thanks mostly to Steam sales. Over 100 unplayed games. I started AC Unity on PS4 last night, really enjoying it so far but feeling guilty for starting yet another game!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 samc36

I used to play tonnes of stuff, not enough time now. I've got to get through AC Black Flag, Rogue, have to get and play Unity, newest grid, and a heap of other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I dip in and out the whole time.

There used to be a time where I would not buy a game until I finished the previous one. But then loads of good games arrived in quick succession, so the buying madness begun.

I still switch from AC:BF, to JC2 and the final missions of Starcraft 2. Sure just tonight I played a bit of swtor, haven't played in months. Am hoping to play some more Rome II at the weekend and an hour of C&C Generals. Play as the Isis (GLA)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I dip in and out the whole time.

There used to be a time where I would not buy a game until I finished the previous one. But then loads of good games arrived in quick succession, so the buying madness begun.

I still switch from AC:BF, to JC2 and the final missions of Starcraft 2. Sure just tonight I played a bit of swtor, haven't played in months. Am hoping to play some more Rome II at the weekend and an hour of C&C Generals. Play as the Isis (GLA)

Just be thankful the real life terrorists don't have the GLA's rocket buggy....or we'd all be f*cked! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I'm fairly monogamous when it comes to console games. I start a game, play it to the end and can happily start again from scratch or carry over my character on a tougher level. If I'm really enjoying a game I get withdrawal symptoms afterwards and desperately look around for a similar type of game to replace it. It's rare that I'll abandon a game before finishing it but usually do so when something about the game annoys or frustrates me so I'm only playing it out of a (misplaced) sense of duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

For a story driven game i'll usually have about three to four that i'll cycle through. I'll only put one on the back burner if a particular part is too frustrating or if i get fatigued. For instance, when i got the MGS: HD collection, I blew through Sons of Liberty and Snake eater, (then blew through Portable Ops) but somewhere near the beginning of Peace Walker, i realized i'd been metal geared out and left it alone for a few months.
    If I'm really enjoying a game I get withdrawal symptoms afterwards and desperately look around for a similar type of game to replace it.
    This happened to me after Deus Ex: HR and Mass Effect 3 :(

• Steam Sales are a nightmare. Buying to many games some of which you never play. I have restricted myself now to playing 1 - 2 games max at any one time until completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just one, but two as an absolute max.

I like if I get frustrated by one, to be able to dip into another and make some progress to feel like I haven't completely wasted my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Dippity doo da, dippity day. I'm not gonna finish any omy games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just one at a time, unless travelling, if I played more than one at a time I would never get anything finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I tend to focus on a sub game for a few months at a time and dip in and out of others. So at the moment I'm back in a World of Tanks phase and dipping in and out of Shadows of Mordor, Tomb Raider and Dragon Age Origins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Kirby wrote: »
    Just be thankful the real life terrorists don't have the GLA's rocket buggy....or we'd all be f*cked! :p

What's worrying is how similar GLA are to Isis, both have suicide bombers, rebels, rpg, angry mob, snipers, Iraqi apc, Toyota pick ups, bomb trucks, etc

They might have rocket buggies or toxic tractors!!

Advertisement