Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important traffic problem - City of Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

jbehrens94 wrote: »
    What are the most important traffic problems in Limerick (city)?

What do you mean by "most important"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jbehrens94

Most important as in: most disrupting, most annoying, longlasting.

Could be anything: trains, cars, bikes..

Corbally Road is a nightmare.

The Parkway Roundabout is a bit of a bottleneck at peak times.

And what about public transport? Are there huge troubles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Dock road outbound.
    The general disregard of parking restrictions on Parnell street, I've never seen a street anywhere else that double parking seems so prevalent, twice in the past year I've been blocked in by somebody in the chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Shortsightedness of Limerick Council to place traffic lights(sur' they love em) at the junction of the Dublin road and Annacotty Ind Estate/Murroe meaning a large tailback every weekday on the Newport Roundabout.

All they needed was to build a roundabout set back from the road as the land is certainly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

The crazy placing of Pedestrian crossings on the Shannon Bridge and at Groody roundabout and at the Chawkes roundabout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Any chance of a google maps link to show exactly where you're talking about??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Dublin road outbound in the evening looks disastrous.
    Dock road outbound in evening has gotten very bad.

The merging of traffic from O'Connell St etc onto Mallow street is a farce along with the lights and trying to get onto the roundabout at shannon bridge from the Mallow St side.

Was caught in peak traffic going out Corbally once - I think I'd eat my steering wheel with frustration if I had to do it everyday.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Any chance of a google maps link to show exactly where you're talking about??

Me?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

At everyone generally, I think I know Limerick fairly well but wouldn't be that familar with some of the names of places, having a map link would just make it easier. No hassle if it's too much hassle

At everyone generally, I think I know Limerick fairly well but wouldn't be that familar with some of the names of places, having a map link would just make it easier. No hassle if it's too much hassle

Hopefully ye can see this

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z3MKowx5s470.k5K0-kyhKFx8

cronin_j wrote: »

Try when you are in maps to click on the gears icon and then Embed/Share, that should give you a share-able link https://goo.gl/maps/dgYul

Try when you are in maps to click on the gears icon and then Embed/Share, that should give you a share-able link https://goo.gl/maps/dgYul

try now https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z3MKowx5s470.k5K0-kyhKFx8

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Here's Groody roundabout before the renovations. There are now ramps at each pedestrian crossing
    And here is Kilmurry roundabout.
    The pedestrian crossings aren't too bad when joining the roundabout, but can be a nightmare when leaving, as they can cause traffic backlogs on the roundabout.

Fair play, nice tracking of most of the issues on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Dock road outbound.
    The general disregard of parking restrictions on Parnell street, I've never seen a street anywhere else that double parking seems so prevalent, twice in the past year I've been blocked in by somebody in the chipper.

I have to say the absolute worst is William Street. Parnell street is bad but at least wide enough that cars can go around them (unless some idiot blocks in a parked car). William Street though is disgraceful. I can't for the life of me understand how people actually think the right lane the whole way up is for parking in. It is one of the main roads through the city centre and has double yellow lines the whole way up. Abandoned cars nearly everyday of the week with Sunday being th e worst. The sooner they start towing cars away the sooner people will learn their lesson.

Fair play, nice tracking of most of the issues on here.

Could add alot more. I may be cynical, but they placed so many lights, pedestrian crossings etc along the main roads to frustrate traffic, its like they want you to use the tunnel. No surprise its loosing a fortune for the NRA

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I find Henry street's lane layout a bit of a mess, especially if you're heading for Arthur's quay.

Turning onto lwr mallow from either side O'Connell street is similar, people nearly always are crossing over lanes to go to henry St/Shannon bridge.

Been a while since I had to use it but parkway roundabout a bit mad. Roundabout at crescent shopping centre used to be mental in the mornings as well, up to 4 lanes coming in to one heading in to town.

On phone so no links, sorry.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    I have to say the absolute worst is William Street. Parnell street is bad but at least wide enough that cars can go around them (unless some idiot blocks in a parked car). William Street though is disgraceful. I can't for the life of me understand how people actually think the right lane the whole way up is for parking in. It is one of the main roads through the city centre and has double yellow lines the whole way up. Abandoned cars nearly everyday of the week with Sunday being th e worst. The sooner they start towing cars away the sooner people will learn their lesson.

8-9.30 its full of trucks, when they do go its full of cabs parked along there blocking the whole place. The Traffic Corps should be there every day. The other one is coming from castletroy towards the parkway roundabout, people drive up the wrong lane and cut in, causing a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

The positioning of the traffic lights at UL main entrance, the ones on public road are placed such that if you enter the "yellow box" area you can't see the lights.

Normally there are two sets of lights facing oncoming traffic one at their side of the "yellow box" and one as you exit the "yellow box" area. For some unknown reason both sets at the junction are as you enter the "yellow box" area.

Also, remove the lumps of concrete on the right hand lane on Henry St between Cecil St and Shannon St, then allow the three lanes from this section enter the three corresponding lanes in front of the Savoy hotel.

Allow both lanes of traffic coming in over Sarsfield Bridge continue up Sarsfield St and then onto William St or O'Connell St. It would help ease the back logging out over the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

double parking, parking on yellow lines, parking on William Street in the driving right hand lane, double parking on Roches Street and Shannon Street, the way lanes just randomly disappear and you have to merge right or left (coming down Henry Street towards the Savoy, the lanes just move). People not knowing which lane to use on roundabouts. Dock Road outbound - people not understanding the merge rule. Pedestrian crossings on the Shannon Bridge roundabout.

phog wrote: »
    The positioning of the traffic lights at UL main entrance, the ones on public road are placed such that if you enter the "yellow box" area you can't see the lights.

Normally there are two sets of lights facing oncoming traffic one at their side of the "yellow box" and one as you exit the "yellow box" area. For some unknown reason both sets at the junction are as you enter the "yellow box" area.

Also, remove the lumps of concrete on the right hand lane on Henry St between Cecil St and Shannon St, then allow the three lanes from this section enter the three corresponding lanes in front of the Savoy hotel.

Allow both lanes of traffic coming in over Sarsfield Bridge continue up Sarsfield St and then onto William St or O'Connell St. It would help ease the back logging out over the bridge.

Speaking of Cecil street, if your on lower Cecil street and you want to go straight over up towards Jerry Flannerys pub, you cant see all of O'connell street on your left as the signage and street furniture outside AIB is in the way

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Speaking of Cecil street, if your on lower Cecil street and you want to go straight over up towards Jerry Flannerys pub, you cant see all of O'connell street on your left as the signage and street furniture outside AIB is in the way

Yes, the placing of some signage and street furniture is poorly thought out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's worse in the summer when they put one of the giant flower pots at that corner. You literally have to drive onto O'Connell St. to see if there's any traffic coming! How the keep putting it there year after year I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

The speed limit on the condell road...should be 80.
    How 4 lanes of toll barrier changes to 2 lanes without any set priority.
    Roundabout at the radisson where people go in the wrong lane and seem shocked when i beep the hell out of them.
    Actually make that most roundabouts in limerick!

The two lanes at the end of sexton street do my head in as well. Left lane is ONLY for Parnell Street. Right lane for Roches and Wickham Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The bottom of Shannon street turning onto Henry street. It's two lanes, and continuously people go in the right hand lane, turn the bend and cut across the traffic on their left to get into the far lane to head towards the Ennis Rd. Most do it cause they are too lazy to wait in the left hand lane to go around in the correct lane. I've seen people do it to try skip one car. It causes near misses nearly every day.

And worse again I've had two near misses as I am in the left lane turning onto Henry street and the car in the lane next to me decides to go straight on down the side of dunnes even though the lane is right turn only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I would say that maybe the MODs should alert the Boards.ie chief engineer , I've a feeling this will be a very big and busy thread :D

Advertisement