Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling club north dublin

Options
  • 11-02-2015 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Probably done to bits so I apologise in advance!

Can anyone reccomend a cycling club in North Dublin for beginners/intermediates?

I've done a good bit of cycling before but I've been off the bike for a while so would need to start from scratch. I'm in the glasnevin area.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Also Dublin wheelers ,they meet at santry cross,afaik they have groups for various ability http://www.dublinwheelers.com/news.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Cheers lads.

Swords may be a tad far away from me. I'd be adding on an extra 40km per cycle getting to and from the meeting point.

I mailed Dublin wheelers while back but they never got back to me. Wasnt sure if it was still in operation or what was going on. No harm in trying again I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

thehamo wrote: »
    Cheers lads.

Swords may be a tad far away from me. I'd be adding on an extra 40km per cycle getting to and from the meeting point.

I mailed Dublin wheelers while back but they never got back to me. Wasnt sure if it was still in operation or what was going on. No harm in trying again I suppose!

Dublin Wheelers are definitely still in operation. As for cycling 40km getting to/from the meeting point, well the whole point of cycling is to cycle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Ash Burners Cycle Club in Ashbourne?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Swords may be a tad far away from me. I'd be adding on an extra 40km per cycle getting to and from the meeting point....
    It's hardly 20k from Glasnevin to Swords! :confused: I'm 15k from the meeting point which gives an opportunity to warm up on the way.

I'm begining to wonder if anyone in McNSCC is actually from Swords. All seem to be from Malahide, Portmarnock, Baldoyle, Donaghmeade, Santry, Artane, Coolock, Glasnevin, Oldtown, Ballyboughal, Garristown, Ashbourne, Donabate, Portrane, Lusk, Rush, Skerries, Balbriggan etc.

It's hardly 20k from Glasnevin to Swords! :confused: I'm 15k from the meeting point which gives an opportunity to warm up on the way.

I'm begining to wonder if anyone in McNSCC is actually from Swords. All seem to be from Malahide, Portmarnock, Baldoyle, Donaghmeade, Santry, Artane, Coolock, Glasnevin, Oldtown, Ballyboughal, Garristown, Ashbourne, Donabate, Portrane, Lusk, Rush, Skerries, Balbriggan etc.

One lad lives in Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    One lad lives in Munich.

He's not a member anymore. I didn't pay his fee this year! Don't tell him!

Midnight64 wrote: »
    Ash Burners Cycle Club in Ashbourne?

Not in Meath any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Ha. suppose it depends on which way you go! As for the whole point of cycling is to cycle, id like to be able to cycle without collapsing at the end of it. As I say ive not been on the bike in a good while. The club spin would be enough for the time being! When I get the miles back into my legs I can go for the longer cycles, but slowly slowly catchy monkey for the time being!

• Advertisement

Ha. suppose it depends on which way you go! As for the whole point of cycling is to cycle, id like to be able to cycle without collapsing at the end of it. As I say ive not been on the bike in a good while. The club spin would be enough for the time being! When I get the miles back into my legs I can go for the longer cycles, but slowly slowly catchy monkey for the time being!

Collapsing at the end just means that you have done a good spin. You will be surprised at how quickly you might adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

Blanch Wheelies?

Meeting point is the Strawberry Hall on Sundays at 9:30am

10/11km from Glasnevin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Few Swords guys in Finglas/Glasnevin who do the Sat spin and catch monkeys with poisonous darts. When you're cycling with others you wouldn't notice the spin out to Blakes X. Also on returning they go around the airport so you're close to home. Probably 20k (not 40) on top of whatever is done on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭db76

Theres always http://www.clontarfcycling.com/ , meet at Clontarf GAA 09:00 Sundays - very welcoming for beginners. Beginners group usually do 50 - 70 kms with coffee stop about half way.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Don't forget the Drogheda member!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Not in Meath any more?

Don't be a stranger!!

Midnight64 wrote: »
    Don't be a stranger!!

I won't but it still doesn't move Ashbourne from Meath to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭paddylast

Living in Naul and am thinking of joining a club. Cycling approx 26Km per hour and looking to get out more and get the speed/Distances up.

Done quite a few of the sportives and the Ironman 70.3 Dublin.

I see there are a few clubs close by:

Velo Club Balrothery
    Balbriggan Cycling Club
    Stamullen Road Club

Any particular one that would suit? - looking for long group cycles as Im thinking along the lines of Marmotte next year or 2017.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,446 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

McNally Swords Saturday spin goes through the Naul (and has a few more regular spins if that does not take your fancy - check out their website - www.swordscc.com)

(.... and you get the chance to race on some reasonably local roads if you join up)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You'll have to take the Tri Bars off, and lets hope your bike handling skills are better than Richie Portes........ ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

paddylast wrote: »
    Living in Naul and am thinking of joining a club. Cycling approx 26Km per hour and looking to get out more and get the speed/Distances up.

Done quite a few of the sportives and the Ironman 70.3 Dublin.

I see there are a few clubs close by:

Velo Club Balrothery
    Balbriggan Cycling Club
    Stamullen Road Club

Any particular one that would suit? - looking for long group cycles as Im thinking along the lines of Marmotte next year or 2017.

VCB go through Naul sat am at about 0900 or just after and Swords cc about 20-30 mins after.
    You're welcome to tag on to VCB if you like, I'd suggest trying spins with a club to see if you like them first.
    Stamullen more racing orientated and prob not for you and Balbriggan not that active re spins at least.
    VCB or Swords would be your best bet IMO.
    If you fancy the VCB in the morning I'll be the bearded one on a Kuota...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RobFowl wrote: »
    ...If you fancy the VCB in the morning I'll be the beared one on a Kuota...
    The duelling banjos scene in Deliverance has just come into my head! :eek:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,446 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jaysus! Can you two keep your fantasies to yourselves and don't put off prospective new members with such images ....

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Didn't want to start a new thread as this is very suitable.

Want to join a club in North Dublin and the three I'm looking to get feedback on are Dublin Wheelers, Clontarf and Swords.

I'm based in Fairview so swords might be pushing it a bit but heard it's a great club. I emailed Dublin Wheelers a few months back but heard nothing back. Don't know too much about Clontarf, from the little I've read it seems a little smaller then the other two. In my 30's so if there's a few younger members in these clubs that would be great.

From Fairview, Clontarf is your local/nearest club. All 3clubs have regular spins on weekends so really depends on what you want from the club.

I can answer any questions you have about Swordscc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

golfer555 wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread as this is very suitable.

Want to join a club in North Dublin and the three I'm looking to get feedback on are Dublin Wheelers, Clontarf and Swords.

I'm based in Fairview so swords might be pushing it a bit but heard it's a great club. I emailed Dublin Wheelers a few months back but heard nothing back. Don't know too much about Clontarf, from the little I've read it seems a little smaller then the other two. In my 30's so if there's a few younger members in these clubs that would be great.

Clontarf would have a healthy turnout on Sat/Sun and bank holidays. On Sundays there tends to be 20-30 people across 3 groups, much more in warmer months, on saturdays maybe half that number.

Spin times are 8:45am, new joiners can come down on sundays for a couple of spins to check it out.

Age profile varies from 20s to 60s ... don't let the older generation fool ya :D

More details here:
    http://www.clontarfcycling.com/

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I can answer any questions you have about Swordscc

What shade is the blue on the latest jersey?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What shade is the blue on the latest jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

jon1981 wrote: »
    Clontarf would have a healthy turnout on Sat/Sun and bank holidays. On Sundays there tends to be 20-30 people across 3 groups, much more in warmer months, on saturdays maybe half that number.

Spin times are 8:45am, new joiners can come down on sundays for a couple of spins to check it out.

Age profile varies from 20s to 60s ... don't let the older generation fool ya :D

More details here:
    http://www.clontarfcycling.com/

Thanks for this, it's certainly the closest club for convenience sake. What distance are the Sunday touring spins?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm sort of in the same boat myself. I'm right beside Dublin wheelers but happen upon Clontarf and Swords groups when I'm out.

I do like the solitude too however and fear I'd be the person who causes a group to have an incident

Advertisement