Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Broadband with Sky TV

• 11-02-2015 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Anyone using a combo of UPC Broadband and Sky TV.
    Any issues or do they work ok together.
    Are Sky downloads working through UPC BB.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

hitbit wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Anyone using a combo of UPC Broadband and Sky TV.
    Any issues or do they work ok together.
    Are Sky downloads working through UPC BB.

Thanks.

They will work perfectly alongside each other but will cost a lot more...

Sky have launched the fibre to some areas so mite be worth a look as a bundle deal..

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Hi Steveon,

Thanks

Hitbit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

steveon wrote: »
    They will work perfectly alongside each other but will cost a lot more...

Sky have not launched the fibre to some areas so mite be worth a look as a bundle deal..

I pay €43.99 for broadband/phone 120megs unlimited broadband with no phone line

I pay sky €29 for original bundle

no issues for upc broadband and sky tv working together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

ftakeith wrote: »
    I pay €43.99 for broadband/phone 120megs unlimited broadband with no phone line

I pay sky €29 for original bundle

no issues for upc broadband and sky tv working together

I think its €65 for sky fibre and tv bundle...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

steveon wrote: »
    Sky have launched the fibre to some areas so mite be worth a look as a bundle deal..

No, it isn't, it is more expensive while offering substantially less.

Why would anyone sign up to Sky Broadband while in the best case it scenario it is 2.4 times slower and can be up to 48 times slower!! *

Also it doesn't include free mobile calls like UPC does.

* Sky unlike UPC is only "upto" 100Mb/s, but it depends on how far you are from the cabinet, it can be as low as 5Mb/s!!!
    I think its €65 for sky fibre and tv bundle...

Sky don't actually have bundles as such.

It is €50 + €29 for a total of €79

Which is actually more expensive then having the superior UPC Broadband €45 + Sky TV €29 for €74 !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I made the switch to SKY yesterday.

Was on with UPC TV Select + and 120mb broadband.

UPC were offering me 6months half price (€40 /mth) and 6 months full (€80 /mth) total year cost of €720

SKY offered me Variety + HD and 80mb approx broadband
    €56 for first 6months and remaining 6months at €76.
    Total =€792 but I then got €60 cash back for new customer + €50 cash back for saying my dad (who has SKY recommended it) so €682.
    If I want Sports or movies during the year I can get them half price too as part of the deal.

Neither the internet speed or phone matter to me (purposely never even got a handset off UPC in case we ran up bills on the side)

I'll now get the dish installed and will be putting freesat into the other rooms in the future. Depending on how I find the freesat I may even drop the TV side of things next year. Overall the switch is perfect for me and I was actually surprised I could save myself money by making the switch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

pippip, once your 12 month contract runs out with Sky it would probably be worth switching back to UPC for broadband.

UPC's normal broadband cost is €5 per month cheaper then Sky (€45 versus €50) and 3 times faster. Also when you return to UPC they will probably offer you a "new customer" deal of half price for a few months saving even more money.

It is really worth reviewing your options once a year and at the very least call them and threaten to leave to get a reduction, if not switch all together. Nice savings to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

@ BK

Yeh thats my plan. Its only really that I'm a new customer that they can beat UPC and with my particular setup. In fairness the woman from SKY even said ring us again in 12 months to see what deals we can offer then.

Advertisement