Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB socket has fallen inside an external hard-drive, where is best to get fixed?

Options
  • 11-02-2015 8:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24

One of my older externals recently stopped working when its USB socket fell inside it. Its well outside warranty so I tried opening it myself and it wasnt happening. These things are practically Fort Knox! :)

What I want to do is bring it into someone, preferably in Dublin city, centre and get them to open it and while Im there we can maybe transfer all of its contents onto my new external.

Where could I get such a thing done at a reasonable price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

What model drive is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Webby5

degsie wrote: »
    What model drive is it?

Western Digital.

Q. What car do you drive?
    A. Ford

Meh.

degsie wrote: »
    Q. What car do you drive?
    A. Ford

Meh.

I dont understand?

You wanted more details? I cant see any more than that on its shell.

Webby5 wrote: »
    I dont understand?

You wanted more details? I cant see any more than that on its shell.

Yeah, sorry for being snarky :o. WD has many different types of external drives, so a model number would have been handy. Look for any screws and failing that look for a seem and use something like a guitar pick to force the case apart and work your way around. Haven't come across an enclosure I couldn't eventually open. Check youtube for video guides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

If it has any rubber feet, try checking under them for hidden screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Webby5 wrote: »
    One of my older externals recently stopped working when its USB socket fell inside it. Its well outside warranty so I tried opening it myself and it wasnt happening. These things are practically Fort Knox! :)

What I want to do is bring it into someone, preferably in Dublin city, centre and get them to open it and while Im there we can maybe transfer all of its contents onto my new external.

Where could I get such a thing done at a reasonable price?

A photo of the drive would be helpful - most of WD's external drives have plastic clips and a hidden seam - just need to slip a thin blade into it and work it around the seam, and one side generally comes away. Once you have made the repair you want, the case will just snap back together.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

On some WD hard disks, a Mini USB port is soldered directly to the drive PCB. This will prevent the drive from working via a standard SATA connection

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

yoyo wrote: »
    On some WD hard disks, a Mini USB port is soldered directly to the drive PCB. This will prevent the drive from working via a standard SATA connection

Nick

I don't know if it applies to all WD models either but my partners on fell with the USB cable inside it and it went into the drive, we hacked off the black casing and were able to remove a screw that held the little PCB to the HD, we were able to pop it in a new enclosure then and its working fine since.... :)

Obviously may not apply to all of them, but it may help, sounds like the casing is goosed at this stage anyway....

mike_ie wrote: »
    A photo of the drive would be helpful - most of WD's external drives have plastic clips and a hidden seam - just need to slip a thin blade into it and work it around the seam, and one side generally comes away. Once you have made the repair you want, the case will just snap back together.

Thanks, I will try get a picture up later.

I got all the plastic clips off and then got as far as these tiny little screws Ive never seen before. I showed it to a friend who used to work in IT and he said they need a special screwdriver to get off. A "PC Fixer" would have such a tool but he hadnt.

Id rather just give someone 50 quid to sort it than be messing around with it myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement