Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisy timer clock-replace with digital?

• 11-02-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Posted this in Plumbing&Heating,maybe its better posted here-
    Old time clock broke a few months ago and we got it replaced with a similar one. This one is much noisier than the other one.Our hot press is in sitting room right beside the TV and the constant ticking is very annoying!
    So,can I just get a digital one and swap it?Not good with electrics so I'd have to get an electrician.Only thing is,I'm not sure a digital clock will fit in the space/footprint.I've attached a pic so maybe someone can advise me before I contact a spark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Can't offer advice but would be very interested in the answer.

We have the same type switches (one for upstairs heating, one for downstairs, one for water) and it's very irritating that we can't set heat to come on, for example: upstairs Monday - Friday instead of it coming on every day.

If they could be switched to digital handy enough then I would def change over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

Easy job for an electrician. Wouldn't advise you to do it if you're not competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

meercat wrote: »
    Easy job for an electrician. Wouldn't advise you to do it if you're not competent.
    Nah,I'll not risk it. Would a digital clock fit in that space in the picture?Also how much for a digital clock and what would an electrician charge?

heldel00 wrote: »
    Can't offer advice but would be very interested in the answer.

We have the same type switches (one for upstairs heating, one for downstairs, one for water) and it's very irritating that we can't set heat to come on, for example: upstairs Monday - Friday instead of it coming on every day.

If they could be switched to digital handy enough then I would def change over.

http://cefltd.ie/catalogue/products/930069-horstmann-three-channel-programmer

toby2111 wrote: »
    Nah,I'll not risk it. Would a digital clock fit in that space in the picture?Also how much for a digital clock and what would an electrician charge?

http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/Product/Sangamo-Programmable-Immersion-Time-Switch-with-Boost-Control/1159/100

€30-€50 to call and fit

• Advertisement

I dont have zones or anything like that. My system is very basic. I just turn down the themostat in the hallway when warm weather comes in-this just heats the water. Then turn it up,I hear a click and it heats rads and water. Would that time switch work OK with my system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I dont have zones or anything like that. My system is very basic. I just turn down the themostat in the hallway when warm weather comes in-this just heats the water. Then turn it up,I hear a click and it heats rads and water. Would that time switch work OK with my system?

That Sangamo switch that meercat gave you a link to simply controls the electric feed to the immersion heater element - it has nothing to do with your central heating system. You can get a switch with the same on/off cycles every day (PSD) or the model the link points to (PSW) which allows you to set different cycles at the weekend.

www.sangamo.co.uk

This would suit better

http://cefltd.ie/catalogue/products/111174-one-channel-digital-timeswitch?section=109

coylemj wrote: »
    That Sangamo switch that meercat gave you a link to simply controls the electric feed to the immersion heater element - it has nothing to do with your central heating system. You can get a switch with the same on/off cycles every day (PSD) or the model the link points to (PSW) which allows you to set different cycles at the weekend.

www.sangamo.co.uk

Cheers. Thought it was an immersion alright.

Great,thanks. And would there be any problem fitting that timeswitch were my old one is?

• Advertisement

Great,thanks. And would there be any problem fitting that timeswitch were my old one is?

Won't fit exactly there. Have to move it(screws underneath to attatch to baseplate)not major job.

That looks like an odd shape, the Sangamo PSW will do the same function and fit into a 1-gang box so it looks like it could simply replace the OP's existing timer.

coylemj wrote: »
    That looks like an odd shape, the Sangamo PSW will do the same function and fit into a 1-gang box so it looks like it could simply replace the OP's existing timer.
    Will that Sangamo heat the rads and water?

Will that Sangamo heat the rads and water?

No, it's just for controlling the feed to the electric element in the immersion.

This model can do both, observe the radiator icon on the left (above the buttons) and the tap on the right .....

Choice-PR2n.png

http://sangamo.co.uk/choice/pr2n/

Weres the best place to buy these?

Weres the best place to buy these?

Do you currently have a timer for the heating and is that in the same space as the immersion? If so then that two channel timer should do the job.

You can buy direct from Sangamo, click the link under the photo in my previous post and click on 'Buy Now'.

But I'd caution you to talk to a central heating person to make sure that it will operate as expected in your environment.

I posted a picture in my original post. It's not an immersion switch, it's just a basic 24 hour clock timer(we live in an old bungalow, think the central heating system is a bit basic!) . I don't know anything about central heating but I pull out the little teeth on this clock for the heating to come on at certain times. It currently heats water and radiators. During the summer I turn down the thermostat in the hallway, I hear a little click and then it only heats the water which is fine.
    Maybe I'll get the plumber out to check it out first.

A single channel clock should be straight replacement and turn off your stat as you currently do

A 2 channel clock may require changing some wiring to accommodate heating Nd hot water.

An electrician can advise you when he sees the installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Be careful of a lot of those digital ones. What you'll gain in being able to set Saturday different from Thursday, you'll lose in the amount of times you can set it in a day. Most will only allow 3 ON/OFF cycles in 24 hours, whereas the tabs are very flexible.
    Is there one you would recommend? My parents have one which has 1 hour boost button which is handy.

• Advertisement

Is there one you would recommend? My parents have one which has 1 hour boost button which is handy.

I think he's telling that the old style clock timer is more flexible and there's no denying it but as you already know, they can make a lot of noise.

Given your setup, as meercat says above, you appear to only need a one channel switch. You could consider a Sangamo timer, I have one to control the immersion heater, it has a boost button on the outside (the big button below the display in the picture below) which you can press up to three times to add 30 mins, one hour or two hours regardless of what the timer is set to. If you change your mind, you can press it again until the light goes out and it goes back to the timer cycle(s).

Powersaver-PS.png

But I thought that Sangomo doesnt heat water and radiators???Which is what I'm looking for....

But I thought that Sangomo doesnt heat water and radiators???Which is what I'm looking for....

No, you're looking for a one-channel switch - something which switches a circuit on or off. That's all your existing timer is doing - you said that with the thermostat turned down, the timer controls when the water is heated and when the thermostat is turned up and the timer cuts in, the radiators and water are heated.

Yeh, that sounds about right. I'll get an electrician out so to have a look.

Advertisement