Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Correct procedure for sending off an old tax book?

Options
  • 11-02-2015 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I sold a car about a month ago - it had a brown tax book. Anyway, the buyer filled his details into the free slot and then we sent it off to Shannon, but a month later the book hasn't showed up and when I put the details into the vehicle transaction query on motortax.ie I just get a message back saying;
    VLC information is missing for this vehicle. Your online transaction cannot be processed

In the interest of preserving the car's originality the new owners (and me) really want to keep the original book with it. The buyers are really sound guys and I really would like to resolve this.

Anyone give me help with this?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it's on the old brown tax book, and therefore isn't on the computer system would be my opinion. Need to talk to a human methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

corktina wrote: »
    it's on the old brown tax book, and therefore isn't on the computer system would be my opinion. Need to talk to a human methinks.

Ah, hadn't thought of that. I'll give Shannon a ring in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Doesn't the change of ownership using the brown book go through your local motor tax office, not Shannon?

Blue850 wrote: »
    Doesn't the change of ownership using the brown book go through your local motor tax office, not Shannon?

Ah no way, so Shannon should have probably sent it back to me then no?s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

I don't know but the same thing happened to me in 2000 when I got the Fiat 850, bought a Dublin owned car of a man in Kildare( not the registered owner) who I thought sent the book to the motor tax office, he sent it to Shannon by mistake. He didn't get the book back.

Motor tax in Galway wouldn't give me a duplicate book as it wasn't in my name, after two weeks I had to ring Motor tax in Kildare and Dublin and Dept of Environment in Shannon, no one had the book but it turned up in the post the next day in my name. I could never make out the postmark on the envelope to see where it came from.

Ring Shannon in the morning, it must be there somewhere

• Advertisement

Blue850 wrote: »
    I don't know but the same thing happened to me in 2000 when I got the Fiat 850, bought a Dublin owned car of a man in Kildare( not the registered owner) who I thought sent the book to the motor tax office, he sent it to Shannon by mistake. He didn't get the book back.

Motor tax in Galway wouldn't give me a duplicate book as it wasn't in my name, after two weeks I had to ring Motor tax in Kildare and Dublin and Dept of Environment in Shannon, no one had the book but it turned up in the post the next day in my name. I could never make out the postmark on the envelope to see where it came from.

Ring Shannon in the morning, it must be there somewhere

Cheers, I will do. Really want to sort this hassle-free as the new owner is really sound and I don't want to lose the original book.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Sending to Shannon: schoolboy error. RF200 and Motor Tax office job.

Pray it doesn't go walkabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I would never send off a brown tax book in the post now. Local motortax office by hand and that's as far as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Duke, on my walkabout this morning, I called into the Dept, of Trans. here in Shannon and enquired about what happens if they received a brown tax book. If it is with a RF200 they would send it to the Motor Tax office of the new owner. If they just got the tax book with no RF200, they would send it to the tax office of the council where it is registered. I think this information is correct, as she went away and enquired. She wanted the Reg, No. which I did not have. I hope this helps. If you wish to Txt me the Reg. No. I make further enquires if you wish. 0868677601

mattroche wrote: »
    Duke, on my walkabout this morning, I called into the Dept, of Trans. here in Shannon and enquired about what happens if they received a brown tax book. If it is with a RF200 they would send it to the Motor Tax office of the new owner. If they just got the tax book with no RF200, they would send it to the tax office of the council where it is registered. I think this information is correct, as she went away and enquired. She wanted the Reg, No. which I did not have. I hope this helps. If you wish to Txt me the Reg. No. I make further enquires if you wish. 0868677601

Christ Matt, cheers for that - do you mean they'll send it back to the tax office up my direction or to the tax office of the new owner (he filled his details into the book)?

Never got a chance to ring them today, I asked my mother if she got the chance but haven't heard from her. Reg is 89 d 1593

Cheers once again and thanks very much for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I would never send off a brown tax book in the post now. Local motortax office by hand and that's as far as it goes.

Even then, it didn't stop them slapping a gi-normous sticky label on the front, nearly gumming the whole book together. :rolleyes: Tried to remove it with kettle steam but gave up as it's delicate enough.

Duke, now that I have the Reg, No. I will go in to-morrow and see if I can get anymore information for you. If you did not fill in a RF 200, it is sent back to the Tax Office where it was last Taxed, at least that is my understanding.

Duke, now that I have the Reg, No. I will go in to-morrow and see if I can get anymore information for you. If you did not fill in a RF 200, it is sent back to the Tax Office where it was last Taxed, at least that is my understanding.

Thats a million Matt, much appreciated!

Duke, called in to Dept of Trans. this AM. The brown Tax Book would have been sent back to the Dublin Motor Tax office. ( 01 222 8000 ). The last registered owner lived in that district. I don't know if it was you or not. When you get it back, fill in a RF200, with the new owners details, and send it to his local motor tax office. I hope this helps. The car has NOT been declared " Off the Road".

Duke, called in to Dept of Trans. this AM. The brown Tax Book would have been sent back to the Dublin Motor Tax office. ( 01 222 8000 ). The last registered owner lived in that district. I don't know if it was you or not. When you get it back, fill in a RF200, with the new owners details, and send it to his local motor tax office. I hope this helps. The car has NOT been declared " Off the Road".

Right so. I'll get up there today and send it off with an RF200.
    I'm sure enough the car was declared off the road until April though? :confused:

Update on this. The logbook arrived in the post today to my address, with an RF200 attached. Filled it out and sent it off for attempt #2 now :pac: - if you're reading this motor tax office, sorry about that..

10991051_1551772608412002_8419284460607420068_n.jpg?oh=a124cfb0caea10f92acdbe43af72ba14&oe=55959273
    10994246_1551772288412034_7728190893053747183_n.jpg?oh=faaf1c35b2f35146d27a9172ffd0aa11&oe=5585A8DC

Advertisement