Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission Meath

Options
  • 11-02-2015 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks,
    Anybody got experience with planning in meath? I'm from the area which i intend to seek planning however I am only purchasing the land to build a house.I'm not quite sure how to really qualify for local needs. I am looking at build a dormer however having done a small bit of research i'm told typical dormers are frowned upon by planners. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Gafman83 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Anybody got experience with planning in meath? I'm from the area which i intend to seek planning however I am only purchasing the land to build a house.I'm not quite sure how to really qualify for local needs. I am looking at build a dormer however having done a small bit of research i'm told typical dormers are frowned upon by planners. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You will most likely not get permission for a typical dormer in Meath.
    Meath Co Co have a guide on their website that outlines what type of houses they want to see on their area.

However, you need to get in touch with a local architect, technician or somebody competent enough to act as your agent and deal with the council as meeting their needs requirements is quite a process.

Have a look at recently granted applications in the area and pick out a row of the architects/agents and see which one you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Steve Martyn

Hi All,

I have lived in Navan for just over 12 years and own my 4 bed house. I want to move to the country i.e. no neighbours, kids, dogs, parties next door etc. I am told that 'local needs' will prevent this. Can someone please explain in plain english what this is because it seems to vary wildly depending on who you ask. Thanks.

Hi All,

I have lived in Navan for just over 12 years and own my 4 bed house but originally from Dublin. I want to move to the country i.e. no neighbours, kids, dogs, parties next door etc. I am told that 'local needs' will prevent this. Can someone please explain in plain english what this is because it seems to vary wildly depending on who you ask. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 lunatic_dancer

meath is a more difficult county to get planning anywhere you choose , local needs can mean a number of things but among them are usually the following

did you grow up in the area

do you already own a house in the area

do you live or work in the area

meath is a more difficult county to get planning anywhere you choose , local needs can mean a number of things but among them are usually the following

did you grow up in the area

do you already own a house in the area

do you live or work in the area

Hi There - I did not grow up in the area. I own my house in the area for 12 years and I both live and work in the area as I am self employed Musician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 AislingMeath

Hi Gafman83, have you gotten any further with the plans since you posted this?
    I am looking to start planning permission also but "local needs" are extremely strict in Meath! I wouldn't be worried about the style of house just yet more so if you 'qualify'. Meath county council website has the local needs form on it and if you have a look that will give you an idea of what they are looking for.
    I tick a lot of the boxed but not them all so its still unsure..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 seanie17berry

Hi guys.. im new to this also, anyone have any info on this, im looking to seek planning permission on a family site, but only read on the conditions of my grannys planning which was 19 years ago that the condition was their be no sub division on the site??? Any1 no if their is away around this??
    Cheers sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

@Aisling and seanie, seek a pre-planning meeting with the Council to get their opinion on your respective situations, it's free.

Yes getting ready to do that but need to be very careful as you have to fill out a form first AND a local needs form just to get a meeting and I would imagine they already have made pre judgments on what they are going to say to you before they even meet you etc!
    If anyone has any 'tips' on what can boost your local needs form that would be great!

You will need to find out what rural area type the site is in, e.g. 'under strong urban influence'. The Council policies are on page 246-251 of this document re rural housing
    https://meathcountydevelopmentplan.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/meath-development-plan-volume-1-written-statement_lowres.pdf

The more information you give, in accordance with the policies that it contains the better. Whether pre-planning advice or a planning application, the information you supply gets to decide whether or not you satisfy rural housing policy. If you give very little information, then you're wasting everyone's time.

• Advertisement

Going to study this with a fine tooth comb!!!! I'm sure they have every angle covered though!

Good luck with it, be honest with them and even if a no, ask about where you could get planning permission, i.e. a rural area under less pressure for development.

One more question, the site in questions has had planning applications before (1 was approved and 1 was refused) will this affect my application?? (All applications were by my family members)

Advertisement