Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Drop Out!

Options
  • 11-02-2015 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi All!

I've been reading some really lovely back-to-college stories on this forum and I'm hoping that maybe somebody may be able to give me a little advice on my situation...

I dropped out of college in year 3 of a 4 year level 8 (they don't offer a Level 7) degree. Now, I would love to go back to college to get a career that is worth getting up for, but how do I do this without...paying full fees for repeating an undergrad?
    Would I have to repeat the Leaving cert to be able to re-apply to the CAO or do full fees apply now that I would be considered a mature student?

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed! :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I think there has to be a 5 year gap between dropping out of your studies and restarting again on a course.

There isn't really a way of getting back in without paying full fees until you wait the time out.

The fact that you're a mature student has nothing to do with fees (apart from independently living can get you more of a grant).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

However, students who already hold a Level 6 or a Level 7 qualification and are progressing to a Level 8 qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications without having received an exemption from the normal duration of the course may be deemed eligible for free fees. Also, you may be eligible for Free Fees, if you attend a course but did not complete it and are returning following a break of at least five years to pursue an approved course at the same level.
    From http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/fees.html

I've underlined one part that might be applicable in your situation. In failing that you might as jay suggests have to wait the 5 years; in either case I'm not really sure how you go about finding out exactly how to proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AOIFERW

I dropped out in 2012... so 2 more years?! :) If that is the case, it's definitely worth waiting for! Do I just re-apply to the CAO?
    Oh, and I am living independently...so that's something! Do you have to go through jobseekers to get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

In a similar situation. Is there any way of finding out if you would get any kind of grant, first, before going through the full application and committing to it. I'd have no problem paying fees if I knew in advance I'd have say a 75% maintenance grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AOIFERW

I think ...don't quote me on this... but I think you'd have to apply first, then get your back-to-education grant, which I'm assuming is assessed on yours means; then finally I think there is a cooling off period after you enter a specific course to back out. But like I said this is just me spouting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

In a similar situation. Is there any way of finding out if you would get any kind of grant, first, before going through the full application and committing to it. I'd have no problem paying fees if I knew in advance I'd have say a 75% maintenance grant.

Regarding the maintenance grant and the student contribution grant you can email your situation to SUSI and they will give you some idea of whether or not you may be eligible.

Regarding eligibility for the BTEA from social welfare you can talk to your local DSP office.

Bear in mind you wont get the BTEA and the maintenance grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Your going to have the wait the 5 years to get free fees I am afraid. It is 5 years from the date you de-registered from your last course as far as I remember.

Step 1: Decide on the course you want to do.

Step 2: Find out exactly every piece of information SUSI need to know about during the grant application process, make sure you have satisfied all of these by the time you need to apply for the grant. (Same goes for BTEA)

Step 3: Find out what you will be studying over the 4 years of the course. Get your hands on course notes where possible. Start studying now. When your time comes around you'll be cruising through your course.

That is my advice anyway. Hope it works out for you

Advertisement