Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torn tights.

• 11-02-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Got a little tear on my bibtights this am which seems to be spreading.any ideas how to stop it getting bigger?cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Stitch them or stop wearing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Needle and thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Patch first, with some interlining or fusing first, the black one has a bit of movement in it then stitch. DO not stitch Lycra without facing/patch or it will just continue to rip in the outside stitch and the hole will just keep growing eventually.

Just be careful with the patching. The area you patch isn't going to be as flexible as the fabric around it obviously so it it's on the front of the knee you could be in significant bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Nail varnish if you are really stuck will stop the tear but cleaning it up is pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Duct tape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Orion wrote: »
    Duct tape
    You must've got your 50 shades cinema set early !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

DO not stitch Lycra without facing/patch or it will just continue to rip in the outside stitch and the hole will just keep growing eventually.

I repair cuts / rips in lycra with double overlock stitch on my wife's cheapo Singer machine - no patches are necessary as long as edges come together easily (there is no fabric missing). It creates a flat seam that holds elasticity of lycra very well.

Its the one under the lower "G" http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/media/products/singer/3321/3321_sewing_machine_stitch_patterns.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

I've recently used some iron on neoprene patches for repairing holes in lycra. Not cheap but very easy and effective. Only comes in black though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Ironmend-Neoprene-Repair-Patch/dp/B000GT471S/ref=pd_sim_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1P9AKND1TXCHK646CRV4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

thanks for all your advice.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yep Alex that's the kind of stitch I use but I use facing or interlining first. It lasts much longer and you can be neater with it.

Where are to based bazzermac? If you're south county Dublin region I could have a look for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

MugMugs wrote: »
    You must've got your 50 shades cinema set early !

It's the scout in me. Duct tape fixes everything except stupid :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

gadetra wrote: »
    Yep Alex that's the kind of stitch I use but I use facing or interlining first. It lasts much longer and you can be neater with it.

Where are to based bazzermac? If you're south county Dublin region I could have a look for you?

pm sent

Advertisement