Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

peteeeed wrote: »
    jose can get in his ear now and sit back and watch how he does in the Copa America

Ya, Colombia I think are in Argentinas group in the Copa America.

I wont be watching it but I'll keep an eye on Cuadrado and Falcao ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, Colombia I think are in Argentinas group in the Copa America.

I wont be watching it but I'll keep an eye on Cuadrado and Falcao ;)

i'll watch what i can, columbia and brazil with the chelsea interest

i'll watch what i can, columbia and brazil with the chelsea interest

WEll if we are getting Falcao I hope he scores a few goals in the tournament.

Duncan Castles has said West Ham have not approached Loic Remy. Thats good news anyway.

14 years ago today we signed a player who would go onto become one of Chelseas greatest of all time, he would go on to become Chelseas all time top scorer and all from CM.

Super Frankie Lampard, signed for 11m in 2001, turned out to be a seriously good transfer. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Ha ha fell bad for slagging him at start of last year with his crosses to no one. Rock of a player and hope he is as good next year.

Himself and Terry recovered brilliantly from their respective slumps... There was a good while where Ivan couldn't cross his legs and seemed to lose possession at every opportunity.

TBF to Ivan, hes still pretty poor at crossing or build up play but he has improved from last year and more importantly hes still solid in his defensive duties.

• Advertisement

Cesc with a goal and assist for Spain last night.

Hes pretty magic that lad.

Cesc with a goal and assist for Spain last night.

Hes pretty magic that lad.

Serious build up play in the goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

hots wrote: »
    Serious build up play in the goal!

*Insert IT crowd quote here about walking it in*

Heres the latest rumour...Sergio Ramos :pac:

About as likely as signing Messi.

duploelabs wrote: »
    *Insert IT crowd quote here about walking it in*

It was a ludicrous display last night...

A year ago today, this happened.

Cesc signs for Chelsea

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I've only just caught up on this thread, the young lad isn't giving me much of a chance to get my SF catch-up done so I'm restricted more or less to mod duties for now! I did come across this post in the Liverpool thread, though:
    Who calls him that?

He's already a much better player than Lennon ever was.

His contribution in 13/14 is already forgotten by most, it seems. He was 19, and in the middle of a title challenge he was our best player. Suarez's form dipped at the tail end of the season and Sterling took up the mantle. United away, City home, Arsenal home, Tottenham home and away. World class performances.

Yes, his form dipped badly in the last few months, but i'd imagine his head is all over the place.

last 2 seasons, aged 18/19 and 19/20 he has scored more than 10 goals in each. Let's be honest, if we are looking at replacement wingers for Sterling, we'd be extremely lucky to get one who would score that many goals. He creates as well, his chance-creation stats are excellent (he had no-one to put the ball into the net last season).

He is scoring more than 10 a season at his age. I think it's very likely he will become an extremely prolific attacking midfielder in the class of Hazard.

No idea where the Scott Sinclair comparisons come from. Sinclair was signed by City for free to fill English-quotas.

City will pay 30/40/50 million for Sterling so he can become one of the focal points of their attack as they try to win the PL and Champions League.

One of the silliest comparisons you're ever likely to see.

Anyway, hope we don't sell, even at 50 million. If Sterling's career follows any kind of upward curve we will not replace him with better.

Hope it's ok to repost it here, I'm not doing so to have a go. I just think that the above seems to be a point of view that only Liverpool FC people have - fans, manager, club, pundits etc. Surely, with that in mind, your man Aidy Ward would realise that only LFC places that kind of value on the player and Sterling himself ought to stick with LFC, a club whose stakeholders obviously rate him very highly.

I know the price tag (£50m) has been put on him to ward off suitors but as I've said in the past, £25m is the absolute maximum price you'd be looking at for a player of his age, temperament and current ability. I can see, like the poster above, City forking out £30m but that's because their transfer policy is brutal and they're desperate for HG/English players, having just released one of their few decent English players in Milner. Sterling wouldn't be anything but back-up to City under Pellegrini for next season, certainly. Then the following season they'll probably have a different manager tasked with rejuvenating the ageing squad and they'll buy in some superstar wingers, and Sterling will sit on the bench.

The man needs to be playing football where he's guaranteed to start so that he can develop into the type of player other clubs might be willing to pay the sorts of figures currently being touted. He needs someone who's capable of managing his temperament, which is the other major red flag for me regarding his likely progress from speculative punt into guaranteed starter in any sense. I don't know if Rodgers is that type of manager but at least he has confidence in Sterling's ability that he's not going to enjoy elsewhere. He also needs rid of that Ward lad and I think I saw something about his old man sticking his oar into the debate as well, which seems to be problematic, even if it's well-meant.

Anyway, the reason I quoted the full post above is because, aside from the reasonable dismissal of the comparison to Lennon and Sinclair, the blind defence of Sterling is something else he wouldn't benefit from elsewhere. There are even some dubious statistics thrown in for good measure to back up an argument that somehow at his age, he's already a player of proven ability. I also wanted to give the nod to the Hazard reference. I genuinely don't believe there is any merit whatsoever to a comparison with Hazard at any point. I think even fulfilling his potential to the greatest imaginable extent, Hazard will always be streets ahead of him. (I must caveat that by saying that I have Hazard in the bracket of potentially one of the best AMs in the World after Messi. Note that it's very much only potentially for me. He has a long way to go but has the basics, natural ability and it looks like diligence to become that good.)

Back to Chelsea, I don't know what the game is with Falcao but it looks like the best-substantiated rumour of the summer so far for us. I trust José knows what he's at but I'd be nervous paying him big wages when Remy still starts ahead of him imo. I don't want to see Remy go. I think it would be foolish given what he's shown he can do, for us and for France. Ok, he might be brittle, then again, he might not be. I don't think one injury-wracked season should be the end of his time with us. If that was cross-applicable, we'd be getting shot of Costa in the same breath and that's quite simply not going to happen.

As I said in the CSG forum, I think signing Pogba solves a major gap in our matchday squad. I'm never going to believe anything else but as above, I trust José to spend appropriately to make sure we're in with a good shot of retaining the league and progressing in the UCL. Again, I don't like this idea of only launching a transfer assault if City or Arsenal do. We need to be competing with the types of players Barcelona, RM and PSG are signing. That's why I think we should be in whatever "bidding war" may or may not be happening over Pogba. It's not like we can't compete financially with PSG and Barca for him. We might not be able to sustain the overall transfer budget and wage expenses they do but for the sake of signing one player, I'd happily see the chequebook handed to Pogba himself.

Good post, not going to quote it as its rather large :o

But I agree with plenty of it. Pool are always going to want to ward off someone trying to buy him but if Chelsea were interested I'd seriously be worried if we paid over 30m for him, seeing as City have had a similar bid turned down I cant see us entering the market for Sterling. He'd be a more attacking option than Willian sure but at the price being mentioned its not in our interest to go after him.

I reckon if we sign Falcao he'll actually be 2nd choice CF, remember Drogba started over Remy for a lot of last season, Jose of course trusts Drogba so he played a lot of games that Remy should have played but having Costa, Falcao and Remy would be 3 good options IMO. It would be an upgrade on last season and if between the 3 of them they beat last years total of 31 league goals between 3 of them I'd be happy.

I suppose we'd all love Pogba, everyone would, the price is eye watering however and he may fancy another club over Chelsea, if thats the case so be it but he'd be an excellent foil next to Matic.

Griezmann was sounded out too but it could all be posture for the player himself to get a new contract at Atletico.

Last year we got business done early sp I'm hoping over the next 2 weeks we've got some movement in and out of Chelsea. I also agree that unless others start spending 100m + in the EPL, we're well equipped to retain the title as is, so if people start throwing the cash around we probably will follow suit with our own targets.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

A year ago today, this happened.

Cesc signs for Chelsea

Oh yeah, I've been holding this in for a long time now but since you brought it up... :p

This time last year, I was just back from a few weeks in Barcelona/Catalunya and on my second day there, I was out for dinner with our friends and their family friends. I got talking to one of the lads in a weird Spanglish-y conversation because I've no Catalan but a very little Spanish and he'd very limited English. We were talking football as best we could and naturally enough, there was quite a bit of Messi chats. As it happens, the family I know are originally Argentine so there was added interest.

Anyway, my missus is wont to pipe up with "[hulla]'s a Chelsea fan!" Not sure why she does this. Either because she wants to let people know she knows something football-related or because she thinks it's something I'm somehow ashamed of.

As soon as she shouts this, this lovely woman sitting opposite me says, "oh, Francesc is going there!" It was his aunt!

I nearly exploded but I had to contain myself for the sake of dignity so I wiped the stupid grin off my face and asked if she knew for sure but she was a bit coy and suddenly forgot her English so I couldn't be sure enough to let the cat out of the bag. It was so hard to keep that to myself but I thought it'd only be a day or two before the news broke anyway! Ended up closer to 2 weeks before it was announced. :o

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I've been holding this in for a long time now but since you brought it up... :p

This time last year, I was just back from a few weeks in Barcelona/Catalunya and on my second day there, I was out for dinner with our friends and their family friends. I got talking to one of the lads in a weird Spanglish-y conversation because I've no Catalan but a very little Spanish and he'd very limited English. We were talking football as best we could and naturally enough, there was quite a bit of Messi chats. As it happens, the family I know are originally Argentine so there was added interest.

Anyway, my missus is wont to pipe up with "[hulla]'s a Chelsea fan!" Not sure why she does this. Either because she wants to let people know she knows something football-related or because she thinks it's something I'm somehow ashamed of.

As soon as she shouts this, this lovely woman sitting opposite me says, "oh, Francesc is going there!" It was his aunt!

I nearly exploded but I had to contain myself for the sake of dignity so I wiped the stupid grin off my face and asked if she knew for sure but she was a bit coy and suddenly forgot her English so I couldn't be sure enough to let the cat out of the bag. It was so hard to keep that to myself but I thought it'd only be a day or two before the news broke anyway! Ended up closer to 2 weeks before it was announced. :o

Great story :D

I remember Cesc said that Jose visiting him made up his mind about going to Chelsea. Ya should have spilled the beans. If it hadnt been true, you'd have been lynched by all of us. :P

Liverpool in for Falcao as well apparently, TBH, I'd have no issue if he wasnt signed, I'm pretty meh about the signing. I'd take it or leave TBH.

In more out there news though we've been linked with Alex Song. :eek:

The main reason we wont go after Sterling wont be the transfer fee, we can afford that easily, it will be the wages.

He'll probably be in the region of 120-150k if he signs for someone liek City and hes certainly not worth that money, a bit like Shaw last year.

It would be nice to have him but for the money involved, its just not the right deal for us IMO.

1508952.jpg

Just posted as clickbait by Goal.com but could you imagine!!? :p

Well we only need 3 of them, problem is theyre all French and would cost between them about 150m :pac:

• Advertisement

The one thing that's concerning me slightly (very slightly) is the lack of big names we seem to be targeting (only paper talk I know)... Last year we filled 2 massive holes in the team with 2 massive signings, this year I'm not sure the same is going to happen and other teams will all be making headway on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

The main reason we wont go after Sterling wont be the transfer fee, we can afford that easily, it will be the wages.

He'll probably be in the region of 120-150k if he signs for someone liek City and hes certainly not worth that money, a bit like Shaw last year.

It would be nice to have him but for the money involved, its just not the right deal for us IMO.

This. There is no way Jose can justify paying 10m less for Sterling then what we paid for Costa and Fabregas combined.

hots wrote: »
    The one thing that's concerning me slightly (very slightly) is the lack of big names we seem to be targeting (only paper talk I know)... Last year we filled 2 massive holes in the team with 2 massive signings, this year I'm not sure the same is going to happen and other teams will all be making headway on us.

We still have 4 positions we could do with serious upgrades on but if we got 2 this window and 2 next summer we'd be in an excellent position. What could take longer this year is players are playing Internationals now and will go on holiday, it means we've a longer pre-season which is good but the players will get more rest than they did last year so deals might get pushed out because of it, on the other hand, players might wanna get deals done after international duty before they go on holiday so I reckon we'll have a new signing before June ends, in about the bones of 3weeks.
    TimRiggins wrote: »
    This. There is no way Jose can justify paying 10m less for Sterling then what we paid for Costa and Fabregas combined.

Or consdierably more than what we paid for Hazard. There is serious potential in Sterling but it needs the right manager and system to extract that. Right now, hes only played 2 and a bit, 3, full seasons in senior football, it represents a huge gamble no matter what way you look at it. His numbers are good though and he could be excellent. Key word is could be. Its a considerable outlay and one I'd baulk at paying, I'm sure the club are thinking the same thankfully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

If we keep Costa and Remy and both can avoid too many injuries I'd be happy. I dont think Falcao will do much if hes signed but hes a decent 2nd or 3rd option if he can show half of what he did prior to his knee injury.

Griezmann would be very expensive and would probably need someone to be sold to balance the FFP books somewhat.

If JT stays fit he could play 30 + games again I think, although his time at the club is always likely to come to an end with every passing year. I'd hope for Zouma to get more game time, hes better off learning next to JT than next to Cahill but I think unless Cahill f**ks up again, Zouma will be the go to CB from the bench.

I'd reckon right now we're still favourites but not many have done business yet. Utd could lose DeGea, City could lose Aguero, Arsenal still need 2 signings IMO so its a bit early to see how everyone is fixed for the season but if it was starting tomorrow we'd still be favourites.

Cheers Gav, think Bamford would be a better option than Falcao but reckon he will probably be sent out on loan again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Frank lampard OBE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Frank Lampard OBE

I think José might be waiting a while for his honorary knighthood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I think José might be waiting a while for his honorary knighthood.

I'd love to see that. Then chucking his medal into the crowd outside B.Palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

JT26 wrote: »
    Can't wait for JT to have it too the meltdown would be scrumptious!

Jayyyyysus.
    Football... No...the world... Would just stop entirely

Four year deals for Mou and all the coaching staff
    https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/609966733118570496

And Falcao agrees personal terms

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/609967553536987136

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Falcao ???

what seriously ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

From the Sunday Times:
    JOSE MOURINHO is on the point of signing a new four-year Chelsea contract that will affirm his status as the Premier League’s best-paid football manager. He is to be joined at Stamford Bridge next season by Radamel Falcao, who has now agreed personal terms on a transfer to Chelsea.

Falcao has chosen Chelsea after Mourinho promised to handle the striker in a manner which proved beyond Louis Van Gaal during the Colombian’s loan season at Manchester United. According to sources close to the deal, Falcao is now “100%” committed to Chelsea with only the details of what could be a loan or a full transfer to be finalised with AS Monaco.

The question is, has Falcao lost his confidence [which can be restored] or his speed and mobility after his injury [which may be gone permanently, as with Torres].

If it works out, then Mourinho proves his peerless footballing sagacity once again. I just don't understand the need for such a gamble, when there are other, less risky options.

I think the major difference between Torres and Falcao transfers is that the former doesn't seem to have been sanctioned by Mou whereas the Falcao signing has been talked a lot by the management, take from that what you will

I think the major difference between Torres and Falcao transfers is that the former doesn't seem to have been sanctioned by Mou whereas the Falcao signing has been talked a lot by the management, take from that what you will

Torres was signed by Ancellotti

Torres was signed by Ancellotti

Point, but I mean that Torres was not signed by the manager and had to be shoe horned in to justify the expenditure

• Advertisement

Point, but I mean that Torres was not signed by the manager and had to be shoe horned in to justify the expenditure

Oh i get it now. :o

Costa was worth the wait though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Falcao and Alex Song. Falcao definitely suits ye, but what about Costa? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Falcao will join and score us 20 goals,
    Costa will net 25 plus.
    It's going to be some season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Whatever about Falcao I definitely don't want Alex Song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Am I the only one thinking Falcao signing is a huge mistake ?

Im going reserve judgement on Falcao until he performs for us....or doesnt. :o

Im going reserve judgement on Falcao until he performs for us....or doesnt. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

the_monkey wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking Falcao signing is a huge mistake ?

It's a huge gamble alright and one I wasn't overly keen on but I'm reserved to the fact it's most likely going to go ahead now.
    If it comes off it'll be deemed a master stroke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Don't see anything as too huge a gamble for clubs as big as Chelsea. If he doesn't work out, so what? They go and get someone else, if he doesn't work, someone else etc. etc. If Remy is let go, then the gamble gets bigger but still no big deal in the grand scheme of things. Presumably they will end up with 3 strikers, whoever they may be, so one misfiring striker leaves you with 2 to get to the next window. Looking at season just gone, that's effectively what Chelsea had anyway. No offence Drog.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement