Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Johner wrote: »
    Begovic also counts as home grown.

born in germany, grew up in canada , plays for bosnia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

With Tbo and Begovic we are well served with goalkeepers for 4 years at least. It was a shame to see Cech go but he only had 1 season left we are now strong for 4 years with no cash outlay good deal for us in reality.

Kalas confirmed to 'Boro would have liked him to stay more than good enough for the backup & Capital One Cup.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2015/7/13/8945389/tomas-kalas-middlesborough-chelsea-loan-transfer-news

We are still wafer thin in defence we were lucky enough last season regarding injuries and form (only real blip was Cahill for a while) we need to hold onto a few or buy and there is not a lot of quality about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Can't see why some people think that it's not a good move for Begovic. He's had plenty of first team action with Stoke and has exactly zero silverware to show for it. With Chelsea, even with Tbo taking the Premier League and Champion League duties, he's guaranteed a run in two other cup competitions and a good chance of winning them.

Throw in the occasional injury to Tbo and he might even get enough appearances to snag a Premier League medal.

The alternative is lots of first team action at Stoke and win nothing.

Could be as well that he backs himself to take Tbo's spot, maybe maybe not but its a better attitude than say Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Begovic as number 2 GK will get all the medals Courtois would.

Begovic will play probably 10 games with us next year, remember Cech played a good few UCL group games at home in the games which we'd expect to win.

He'll play probably all the Capital 1 cup games and a good deal of the FA cup games too and maybe the odd EPL game if injury or suspension rules out Courtois.

The main thing is we've brought in a GK who while not at Cechs level, isnt such a downgrade that it would cost us points and throw in the fact hes HG too, its a good deal for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Why was Begovic given no 1 and not Courtois?

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Why was Begovic given no 1 and not Courtois?

Courtois was 13 at A.Madrid too so I imagine it doesnt bother him really.

It doesnt mean that Begovic will be the starting GK.

• Advertisement

The main thing is we've added to the strength of our squad with a HG player, that frees up a non-HG slot and its another saving on the player hes replacing in terms of transfer fee and weekly wages.

Savy business again by the club, even if it has seen us lose a club legend to a rival our number 2 GK is again, a very good GK, happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Getting a bit nosier re Pedro. He's going back to pre-season on Wednesday. He said he asked the club to lower his buyout from €150m to €30m, which is about £21m. He'd be a good signing. Offers more of a goal threat then Willian. He scored 6 and assisted 6 last season which isn't fantastic considering Oscar has 6 and 8 but he a lot of his games came from the bench. He is 28 this month though, so would offer little resale value.

For £21m youre getting an experienced campaigner thats won everything in the game at all levels, bit of a no-brainer if he becomes available.

I reckon he'd be our starting RW if he is signed as Willian is either shunted into a #10 role or maybe benched.

The Daily Mail ran with a story saying Barcas current board are blocked from any transfer dealings until the new president is decided on July 18th.

Dont know if its BS or not but the Pedro transfer could rumble on for awhile yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

how'd they manage to sign Turan then?

duploelabs wrote: »
    how'd they manage to sign Turan then?

There is a clause that they can return him to Atletico if the new board don't want him.

• Advertisement

Ya, Turan has a release clause for what they paid for him.

Also, the article said Barcas board are banned from further transfer dealings until the 18th.

I wouldnt believe the Daily Mail at all but its certainly one to watch, we're due to fly out on Wednesday and apart from the current squad I cant see anyone coming in before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Let him off. Never liked him anyway

I dont think hes going to make it with us regardless, if he can find game time elsewhere then sell him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

that's fair enough, it won't work for some players and he;s kicking on a bit now... sell for profit and everyone wins.

• Advertisement

Ranieri takes over at leicester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

peteeeed wrote: »
    Ranieri takes over at leicester

Delighted 'The Tinker Man' is back in The Premiership.

I can now 'enjoy' his management style at someone elses cost. I don't think any other Chelsea manager has frustrated me as much.

We might not even see Ranieri back at Stamford Bridge, as Leicester visit us on the last day of the season............. he could be gone by then.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Lads Pedro would be a great signing, upgrade on Salah anyway.
    If Luis is sold then we are stuck for a left back aren't we?

Lads Pedro would be a great signing, upgrade on Salah anyway.
    If Luis is sold then we are stuck for a left back aren't we?

My solution is to just deploy Zouma there. Guy can play anywhere and be a beast. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pedro is exactly the type of player Jose should like. He's intelligent, he plays the role of whatever system he's given really well. He's not as technically gifted as Suarez or Hazard. He's possibly less aggressive than Alexis. However, he's great at linking play, making space and tracking back onto weak zones. In short, Jose should pretty much love him. Ever see Messi make a run to intentionally create space for other players? Nope. Pedro constantly makes space for others. Or at least, he did. Just like Messi's unbelievably lazy Pedro might have since got lazy too. I don't think he has though. Either way he's worth the gamble if you can get him cheapishly. Little known fact too: he can also play right/left back.

Imo, he'd be an excellent signing for ye. He knows how to execute counter attacks. From what I've seen of Willian he's a bit meh there at times. The only question for Pedrito is if he can adjust to england. Unlike Cesc he's played in Spain and with top technical players all his life. England might be quite an adjustment for him.

Personally though I think he should go to Arsenal.

---Sanchez----Ozil/Giroud----Pedro
    Ozil.Giroud

That'd be a formidable attacking four capable of quick interchanges, that has a nice balance between pace, dexterity and physicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Turtwig wrote:
    Imo, he'd be an excellent signing for ye. He knows how to execute counter attacks. From what I've seen of Willian he's a bit meh there at times. The only question for Pedrito is if he can adjust to england. Unlike Cesc he's played in Spain and with top technical players all his life. England might be quite an adjustment for him.

You can't fault Willian at counter attacks in my opinion, so often he's the initiator of the counter attack with explosive bursts through the middle.

Agree on Pedro though, if the fee is between £15-25 million then I'd take him happily.

Counter attacking is one of Willian's best attributes. He's better at starting them then finishing them mind.

Falcaos taking the dreaded number 9 shirt next year.

Calling it now, he'll score less than 10 goals in total.

Pedro could be an interesting bit of competition for Oscar (in that Willian could easily be moved inside or even Haz). Far more mobile than Oscar anyway which would be nice but not sure if he's as good on the ball... One thing that really doesn't make sense though is signing him and not getting rid of Cuadrado. Really not worth keeping and if Serie A want him and Salah and we can break even across the 2 of them we should get rid. With Bertrand Traore coming back into the fold there's more cover there too so it's not like we need those players bench-warming.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    Pedro could be an interesting bit of competition for Oscar (in that Willian could easily be moved inside or even Haz). Far more mobile than Oscar anyway which would be nice but not sure if he's as good on the ball... One thing that really doesn't make sense though is signing him and not getting rid of Cuadrado. Really not worth keeping and if Serie A want him and Salah and we can break even across the 2 of them we should get rid. With Bertrand Traore coming back into the fold there's more cover there too so it's not like we need those players bench-warming.

I reckon if we can, we'll off load Salah and Cuadrado too.

Especially if we can get in Pedro and fit in Traore too would leaves us with 6 players for 3 positions and a c ouple of them can play across the front 3.

Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Oscar, Traore, Cesc.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I reckon if we can, we'll off load Salah and Cuadrado too.

Especially if we can get in Pedro and fit in Traore too would leaves us with 6 players for 3 positions and a c ouple of them can play across the front 3.

Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Oscar, Traore, Cesc.

Exactly, that's a strong group there with 5 fully experienced senior players and 1 young alternative option to use too. Also with Pedro & Cesc having both done some False9 time with Barca too means there's more options up front if needs be.

Falcaos taking the dreaded number 9 shirt next year.

Calling it now, he'll score less than 10 goals in total.

Since the squad numbers were introduced, our No.9's have been.....

Tony Cascarino
    Mark Stein
    Gianluca Vialli
    Chris Sutton
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    Mateja Kezman
    Hernán Crespo
    Khalid Boulahrouz
    Steve Sidwell
    Franco Di Santo
    Fernando Torres

Stein, Vialli and JFH stand out as great successes, Crespo was OK, Boulahrouz (defender) and Sidwell (midfield) were not really No.9's and the rest Meh.

So step up Radamel Falcao...... were due a good one.

I'd love for Falcao to be a success, I reckon we've more firepower upfront than last season and if Costa can stay fit we'll be sorted.

Exactly, that's a strong group there with 5 fully experienced senior players and 1 young alternative option to use too. Also with Pedro & Cesc having both done some False9 time with Barca too means there's more options up front if needs be.

Also forgot to throw in Remy as an option to play from wide, providing he stays with us.

Lucas Piazon no longer wasting time at Chelsea

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2015/7/14/8956519/lucas-piazon-chelsea-waste-of-time

Sounds plausible guy has done nothing to warrant a place at a big club as yet

Lucas Piazon no longer wasting time at Chelsea

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2015/7/14/8956519/lucas-piazon-chelsea-waste-of-time

Sounds plausible guy has done nothing to warrant a place at a big club as yet

Wasnt that posted yesterday? :confused:

Either way, I can see why getting passed around on lona can be annoying but if youre not talented, youre not going to make it at a club like Chelsea.

bamford to norwich on loan is doing the rounds

RichT wrote: »
    Since the squad numbers were introduced, our No.9's have been.....

Tony Cascarino
    Mark Stein
    Gianluca Vialli
    Chris Sutton
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    Mateja Kezman
    Hernán Crespo
    Khalid Boulahrouz
    Steve Sidwell
    Franco Di Santo
    Fernando Torres

Stein, Vialli and JFH stand out as great successes, Crespo was OK, Boulahrouz (defender) and Sidwell (midfield) were not really No.9's and the rest Meh.

So step up Radamel Falcao...... were due a good one.

Gallery of rouges there and no mistake. Jimmy was stand out loved him fantastic player for us, if only we had got him a season sooner we would certainly have won the league that season (another reason on top of many to dislike Leeds of course). Crespo, Luca and Stein were also in their way good with us too and felt sorry for Sutton he tried really hard just didn't work out for him but not for the lack of effort Kezman could fall into that category too and perhaps Nando.

Boulahrouz was sticking two fingers up really I think, fairly typical of his time with us though. Decent to good centre half with Hamburg we give him number 9 and play him at right back poor lamb never had a chance.

• Advertisement

That may not be a bad loan nice quite Premier league back water. If we start the season with Costa, Falcao and Remy he will simply not see game time so he had done it in league 2, League 1 and the Championship that would be interesting.

Any EPL loan for Bamford would be welcome IMO. Norwich will be doing well to stay up though so if he got anywhere close to 7-10 EPL goals he'd be doing very well, he could well go and score double figures like Ings and Austin, you just never know.

Would be a shocking move imo. Of all the lower clubs they must have the most strikers there, largely big names on big deals I would have thought. Would probably get more playing time in our squad.

If Remy is sold, we could keep Bamford, would be a HG player and also free up another non-HG slot. ;)

If Remy is sold, we could keep Bamford, would be a HG player and also free up another non-HG slot. ;)

I'd be annoyed if we let Remy go though, the only positive this window so far has been that we've had a teeny tiny upgrade in the striker department. Costa, Falcao and Bamford wouldn't be a great trio although maybe with the rest of our creative players dipping in if necessary we could get away with it...

• Advertisement

I'd be annoyed if we let Remy go though, the only positive this window so far has been that we've had a teeny tiny upgrade in the striker department. Costa, Falcao and Bamford wouldn't be a great trio although maybe with the rest of our creative players dipping in if necessary we could get away with it...

Remy might want out himself though, although his injuries at key times when Costa was also out didnt help his game time and we had to rely on Drogba.

Now it looks like we've got a number 1 in Costa and 2 capable CFs if they can stay fit and get some form.

remy and bamford will be in the position of 3rd striker which is a tough spot to be in. as this point in his career i think a seaon in the preimership playing games will be huge for bamford but he will not get that this year with chelsea

Wasnt that posted yesterday? :confused:

Either way, I can see why getting passed around on lona can be annoying but if youre not talented, youre not going to make it at a club like Chelsea.

Yea yesterday it was a waste of time to stay at Chelsea today was backtrack day.

So what about Moses for a season, no worse than Salah and at least homegrown.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2015/7/14/8957939/could-victor-moses-have-a-surprise-part-to-play-at-chelsea

Moses? Jaysus no, he was terrible at the Pool and was hit and miss for Stoke before his injury. Hes the kind of guy you end up panick buying with the HG rules and hope he comes good, ultimately hes playing well above his level and will end up at a mid table club and probably do well enough.

Moses? Jaysus no, he was terrible at the Pool and was hit and miss for Stoke before his injury. Hes the kind of guy you end up panick buying with the HG rules and hope he comes good, ultimately hes playing well above his level and will end up at a mid table club and probably do well enough.

Ah you can hardly blame him for being terrible at Liverpool I know he has a biblical name but miracles are hard to come by now.

He did a nifty job on parting the old red sea, though legend has it that was only an assist the job being finished by God.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement