Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Atkinson got it so wrong it wasnt even funny, MAtic gets tackled a few inches below his knee, no foul and a pay on, some how, gets up, runs about 3 yards and shoves Barnes over from behind and gets sent off.

I can only assume Atkinson though he pushed him in the head or belted him around the ears to send him off.

I dont expect it to be rescinded, no way it will but had Atkinson done his job Barnes would have been sent off.

barnes wasn't even booked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

peteeeed wrote: »
    barnes wasn't even booked

Utterly baffling but given Atkinsons standing as one of the senior refs, I cant see them making an example of him by rescindig the red and dropping him for EPL games this weekend.

Barnes had a job to do but that tackle on Matic was disgraceful, how did he not even blow for a free on Matic. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Atkinson got it so wrong it wasnt even funny, MAtic gets tackled a few inches below his knee, no foul and a pay on, some how, gets up, runs about 3 yards and shoves Barnes over from behind and gets sent off.

I can only assume Atkinson though he pushed him in the head or belted him around the ears to send him off.

I dont expect it to be rescinded, no way it will but had Atkinson done his job Barnes would have been sent off.

I did hear it was an absolutely brutal tackle and he should certainly get done.
    Assuming Atkinson thought it was a fair tackle (totally ridiculous from sounds of it) then he sees Matic jump up and shove Barnes over. Is that not a red in isolation?
    I know you can find instances where it wasnt given but I am sure you could find other instance where reds have been given.

By the sounds of it they only way he can get off is if they are lenient because he suffered such an awful tackle but I really dont think it works that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Will be interesting to follow this, I guess they think they have some sort of chance of getting it reduced/rescinded if they've bothered to try. Good to see.

ronjo wrote: »
    I did hear it was an absolutely brutal tackle and he should certainly get done.
    Assuming Atkinson thought it was a fair tackle (totally ridiculous from sounds of it) then he sees Matic jump up and shove Barnes over. Is that not a red in isolation?
    I know you can find instances where it wasnt given but I am sure you could find other instance where reds have been given.

By the sounds of it they only way he can get off is if they are lenient because he suffered such an awful tackle but I really dont think it works that way.

Its retaliation in its purest form but the circumstances that lead to it are totally warranted a review IMO, its not like he slapped or punched him.

I still dont think he'll get off but Matic hasnt kicked him or punched him or gone head to head hes went over and pushed him to confront him, if Barnes is facing him the worst thing that will happen is they both end up shoving each other and they both get booked but he went down making it look worse than what it was.

Theyre also the fact Barnes has committed the most fouls in the league, hes no angel and hopefully this tackle is a one off and he didnt intend to do Matic but if anyone deserves a 3 game ban its not the guy that nearly got snapped in two.

Theres enough evidence to suggest a push shouldnt be a red card but hopefully will it be taken on merit of what the push was, Matic losing the plot after a highly dangerous tackle but only pushing the guy well away from his face or head.

Its retaliation in its purest form but the circumstances that lead to it are totally warranted a review IMO, its not like he slapped or punched him.

I still dont think he'll get off but Matic hasnt kicked him or punched him or gone head to head hes went over and pushed him to confront him, if Barnes is facing him the worst thing that will happen is they both end up shoving each other and they both get booked but he went down making it look worse than what it was.

Theyre also the fact Barnes has committed the most fouls in the league, hes no angel and hopefully this tackle is a one off and he didnt intend to do Matic but if anyone deserves a 3 game ban its not the guy that nearly got snapped in two.

Thats all fair enough but do they take this into account?
    If so, how much leeway does a player have? I am just wondering how much subjectivity there is in making this decisions.

Barnes wasnt facing him from what you say so that point is irrelevant I would think.

As I said before, I think Barnes should get done based on what I have read only.

I wonder will what Webb said on MNF a few months back carry any water, I think Poll and Halsaley both said Matic should have only been booked also.

• Advertisement

Thats all fair enough but do they take this into account?
    If so, how much leeway does a player have? I am just wondering how much subjectivity there is in making this decisions.

Barnes wasnt facing him from what you say so that point is irrelevant I would think.

As I said before, I think Barnes should get done based on what I have read only.

TBH, I'm not pushed if Barnes is done as long as we can get Matic off from it.

Its near impossible to tell what the FA will do TBH, theres not many incidents of players getting pushed over from behind by other players that I can think of off the top of my head that they can use to compare it too but if theyve any common sense they'll lift it as he didnt push him in the head or face so surely that has to carry some merit when deciding what intent Matic had in confronting Barnes.

The main point for me is, Matic wasnt protected by the ref at all, it doesnt give him the right to take the matters into his own hands but IMO the ref made a 2nd and 3rd error by not sending off Barnes and then sending off Matic.

Its going to go one of to ways, rescinded and maybe downgraded to a yellow or the 3 game ban will stick, I cant see thm tacking on an extra game as we've got a good case here IMO.

TBH, I'm not pushed if Barnes is done as long as we can get Matic off from it.

Its near impossible to tell what the FA will do TBH, theres not many incidents of players getting pushed over from behind by other players that I can think of off the top of my head that they can use to compare it too but if theyve any common sense they'll lift it as he didnt push him in the head or face so surely that has to carry some merit when deciding what intent Matic had in confronting Barnes.

The main point for me is, Matic wasnt protected by the ref at all, it doesnt give him the right to take the matters into his own hands but IMO the ref made a 2nd and 3rd error by not sending off Barnes and then sending off Matic.

Its going to go one of to ways, rescinded and maybe downgraded to a yellow or the 3 game ban will stick, I cant see thm tacking on an extra game as we've got a good case here IMO.

I would be shocked if they added a game on.

Yes I agree..I guess there is no basis to reduce the ban? Its either considered a yellow or violent conduct red.

I would be shocked if they added a game on.

Yes I agree..I guess there is no basis to reduce the ban? Its either considered a yellow or violent conduct red.

I'd iamgine not, it'll be either rescinded or stay in place, I dont thin they'll take a game or two off the total but TBH, its hard to know what will happen.

I wonder what Atkinson wrote down in his match report though

I'd iamgine not, it'll be either rescinded or stay in place, I dont thin they'll take a game or two off the total but TBH, its hard to know what will happen.

I wonder what Atkinson wrote down in his match report though

Can you imagine what it would be like to have a bit of transparency about it all? Would be great to see how he explained the incident.

Can you imagine what it would be like to have a bit of transparency about it all? Would be great to see how he explained the incident.

I'm kind of surprised at Atkinson too, being a senior official you'd expect he'd be better than say Friend, Swarbrick or Moss but hes made a call that beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The tackle was reckless and stupid, and was a red card in itself. However Matic's reaction is a red card all day. You can't run over and forcefully push a player to the ground from behind.

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    The tackle was reckless and stupid, and was a red card in itself. However Matic's reaction is a red card all day. You can't run over and forcefully push a player to the ground from behind.

But its ok to push if hes facing ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

But its ok push if hes facing ya?

If it's reciprocated 'handbags' then I'd personally say a yellow for both. But running up to someone whether they're facing you or have their back turned and pushing them straight over with force it's a red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Push to the chest is yellow, neck or head is red.

Should be simple as that but it won't be

Push to the chest is yellow, neck or head is red.

Should be simple as that but it won't be

Nah, I cant see us getting any favours from the FA but Matic is going to miss a Final now on the back of it.

GavRedKing wrote:
    Nah, I cant see us getting any favours from the FA but Matic is going to miss a Final now on the back of it.

What's going to go against him is that he ran in an aggressive manner or something

• Advertisement

Thorgan hazard has been sold by Chelsea.

6million apparently.

About 5 million profit.

What's going to go against him is that he ran in an aggressive manner or something

Not whats against him but who.

6million apparently.

About 5 million profit.

Good turn of profit again, is he staying with Gladbach so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭anonanymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

FA will take no action against Burnleys Ashley Barnes for tackle on Matic on Saturday
    :mad:

SSN Breaking Yellow Thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

So no action against Barnes and are they **** going too rescind Matic's red.

Unbelievable really.

Good turn of profit again, is he staying with Gladbach so?

Ya, staying with Gladbach.

I can see a lot of those guys being sold, Atsu, Piazon, Moses

From the article
    Hackett said Atkinson's performance was "one of the worst" he has seen, adding: "It was an incompetent display

Thats a load of bo**ocks if Barnes gets away with the tackle and Matic has to serve a 3 game ban.

6million apparently.

About 5 million profit.

buy back option so still on loan :)

• Advertisement

buy back option so still on loan :)

I wonder what the buy back clause is, probably double what Gladbach paid for him.

Always a good way to protect ourselves in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

There's something seriously wrong with the game if Matic has to serve a 3 game ban for pushing and Barnes gets off without so much as a warning after his 'challenge'!
    I'm not saying that as a Chelsea fan, but as a football fan.

Killinator wrote: »
    There's something seriously wrong with the game if Matic has to serve a 3 game ban for pushing and Barnes gets off without so much as a warning after his 'challenge'!

Common sense rarely prevails, very frustrating when you think that the worst that push could have done is a sore back and the tackle could have broken both shin bones on another day. Ridiculous really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

6million apparently.

About 5 million profit.

Strange one that, he's played most of his games from the bench for them.

Killinator wrote: »

If Matic serves a 3 match ban after that tackle is adjudged to not need a retrospective banning when all hes done is pushed a dude over we might as well all pack it up and give in, seriously its a joke of the highest order if Matic serves a ban for this on the back of no punishment being dished out to Barnes.

What if Matic had broke his leg and Barnes wasnt carded? Would he get a 3 game ban while Matic was out for about a year? And the flip side of that is what happened, Matic is ok and hes pushed a guy over and hes still going to have to serve a 3 game ban while Barnes gets nothing.

I cant wait to see what they decide to do with Matics red card, if peole think Jose is petulant now wait until the Red sticks and Barnes gets away free as a bird.

Sheepy99 wrote: »

Represents another few shackles on the balance sheet after a minimal outlay, good business again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think ye are getting shafted on this lads, but unfortunately it's a wider problem with the limits of respective review and the rules of the game. We all depend hugely on a referee not suffering the kind of ridiculous display he turned in on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sheepy99 wrote: »

His stats are very impressive.

1 goal and 13 assists from 18 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Thats a load of bo**ocks if Barnes gets away with the tackle and Matic has to serve a 3 game ban.

Barnes certainly deserved a stronger sanction than Matic. Shows the whole FA disciplinary process to be a farce. If we didn't know that already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Represents another few shackles on the balance sheet after a minimal outlay, good business again.

shackles or schekles ? bit of a difference!

240px-Standard_legirons_taiwan01.jpg

220px-Carthage_EL_shekel_2250013.jpg

greendom wrote: »

:o

I dont expect it to be over turned, theyre pretty incompontent when they want to be or just decide not to get involved with the grey areas of the law and bury their heads in the sand but they have to apply common sense sometimes.

I'm not even pushed about the non-penalties, they happen, but the tackle was mental and the fact that its highly probably that Matic will serve his ban while Barnes is free to play for 3 games is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

greendom wrote: »

So what did you think of 50 Shades of Grey, Gav?............it's obviously still on your mind

RichT wrote: »
    So what did you think of 50 Shades of Grey, Gav?............it's obviously still on your mind

I put the foot down and said under no circumstances was I going to see that tripe......still got dragged to see the bloody Wedding Ringer, it had shackles in it.

1 out of 5 is being generous to that film though, even though I won, I still lost. :o

Here is a log of decisions that have gone for Chelsea and ones that have gone against (all taken from the ESPN match reports, trying to remain as objective as possible, these are their views):

For
    1. Arsenal (H) - Cahill lucky to get away with reckless challenge on Sanchez.
    2. West Brom (H) - Costa goal stands, despite him being a shade offside.
    3. Sunderland (A) - Costa gets away with kick-out at John O' Shea.
    4. Hull (H) - Cahill avoids second booking for dive in Hull box.
    5. Liverpool (H) - Costa not sent off for stamp on Can.
    6. Liverpool (H) - Cahill handball in box missed by referee.

Against
    1. Burnley (A) - Costa tripped by goalkeeper in the box, gets a yellow for diving, was a clear penalty.
    2. Everton (A) - Tim Howard handles outside the area after 8 minutes, gets away with it, lucky to avoid red card.
    3. Arsenal (H) - Calum Chambers not sent off for 2 bookable offences in the first-half.
    4. Man Utd (A) - Ivanovic dragged to ground in box by Smalling, no penalty.
    5. Stoke (A) - Bardsley avoids red card for terrible challenge on Hazard.
    6. Southampton (A) - Fabregas booked for diving when it should have been a penalty.
    7. Spurs (A) - No penalty for clear Vertonghen handball.
    9. Liverpool (H) - Costa denied penalty after being fouled in the box by Skrtel.
    10. Burnley (H) - No penalty for handball blocking Ivanovic shot.
    11. Burnley (H) - Costa bundled over in the box by Shackell, no penalty.
    12. Burnley (H) - Barnes gets away with horrific challenge on Matic.
    13. Burnley (H) - Matic sent off for a push, should have been yellow, it wasn't head height.

• Advertisement

I'll also add to the against campaign by adding Welbecks 2 footed attempted tackle in the Arsenal game.

And in the Utd game Jt also got dragged to the ground in the same incident as Ivanovic and also Ivanovics 2 yellows, 1 one as excellent defending that even Neville thought Di Maria was just weaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Here is a log of decisions that have gone for Chelsea and ones that have gone against (all taken from the ESPN match reports, trying to remain as objective as possible, these are their views):

For

Against
    1. Burnley (A) - Costa tripped by goalkeeper in the box, gets a yellow for diving, was a clear penalty.
    2. Everton (A) - Tim Howard handles outside the area after 8 minutes, gets away with it, lucky to avoid red card.
    3. Arsenal (H) - Calum Chambers not sent off for 2 bookable offences in the first-half.
    6. Southampton (A) - Fabregas booked for diving when it should have been a penalty.
    9. Liverpool (H) - Costa denied penalty after being fouled in the box by Skrtel.
    13. Burnley (H) - Matic sent off for a push, should have been yellow, it wasn't head height.

I think you can remove number 5. fromt he For, he got a three match ban as a result and was branded a criminal by jamie redknapp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Interesting that Webb, Hackett, Gallagher and Poll all have said this was one of the worst refereeing performances they have seen wonder what the FA will do if we appeal? My guess is a one match ban and not a three match ban which I could live with to be fair.

As for Barnes not surprised it was a terrible challenge, if the FA accept that they can do nothing as the ref saw it then the ref really has to be dismissed. Of course that won't happen neither.

Response really is down to us whatever lethargy has get into us of late has to be shook out decisions against are not helping but we have big players they need to stand up and be counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

For
    7.Tottenham(A) - Cahill gets away with lunge on I think it was vertonghen by the touch line.

Against

Shows how much of a liability Cahill has been when Costa is the only other person who got away with something.

Interesting that Webb, Hackett, Gallagher and Poll all have said this was one of the worst refereeing performances they have seen wonder what the FA will do if we appeal? My guess is a one match ban and not a three match ban which I could live with to be fair.

As for Barnes not surprised it was a terrible challenge, if the FA accept that they can do nothing as the ref saw it then the ref really has to be dismissed. Of course that won't happen neither.

Response really is down to us whatever lethargy has get into us of late has to be shook out decisions against are not helping but we have big players they need to stand up and be counted.

Whats worse, if thats the case is, Atkinson seen it, didnt card him or didnt think it warranted even a free kick. :confused:

Even a one match ban would be a joke TBH when others have pushed guys and got nothing but a ticking off or a yellow if there was a bit of skirmish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement