Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Shows how much of a liability Cahill has been when Costa is the only other person who got away with something.

The tackle on Sanchez was terrible, he was lucky to stay on that day but so to was Kosclieny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Here is a log of decisions that have gone for Chelsea and ones that have gone against (all taken from the ESPN match reports, trying to remain as objective as possible, these are their views):

For
    1. Arsenal (H) - Cahill lucky to get away with reckless challenge on Sanchez.
    2. West Brom (H) - Costa goal stands, despite him being a shade offside.
    3. Sunderland (A) - Costa gets away with kick-out at John O' Shea.
    4. Hull (H) - Cahill avoids second booking for dive in Hull box.
    5. Liverpool (H) - Costa not sent off for stamp on Can.
    6. Liverpool (H) - Cahill handball in box missed by referee.

Against
    1. Burnley (A) - Costa tripped by goalkeeper in the box, gets a yellow for diving, was a clear penalty.
    2. Everton (A) - Tim Howard handles outside the area after 8 minutes, gets away with it, lucky to avoid red card.
    3. Arsenal (H) - Calum Chambers not sent off for 2 bookable offences in the first-half.
    4. Man Utd (A) - Ivanovic dragged to ground in box by Smalling, no penalty.
    5. Stoke (A) - Bardsley avoids red card for terrible challenge on Hazard.
    6. Southampton (A) - Fabregas booked for diving when it should have been a penalty.
    7. Spurs (A) - No penalty for clear Vertonghen handball.
    9. Liverpool (H) - Costa denied penalty after being fouled in the box by Skrtel.
    10. Burnley (H) - No penalty for handball blocking Ivanovic shot.
    11. Burnley (H) - Costa bundled over in the box by Shackell, no penalty.
    12. Burnley (H) - Barnes gets away with horrific challenge on Matic.
    13. Burnley (H) - Matic sent off for a push, should have been yellow, it wasn't head height.

That's life though. I could probably name double that for Liverpool easily. Only 13 dodgy desicions is nothing. Costa handled in the square against liverpool as well. That liverpool first leg should even up most of the dodgy ones if you win the cup.

niallo27 wrote: »
    That's life though. I could probably name double that for Liverpool easily. Only 13 dodgy desicions is nothing. Costa handled in the square against liverpool as well. That liverpool first leg should even up most of the dodgy ones when you win the cup.

fixed that for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'll also add to the against campaign by adding Welbecks 2 footed attempted tackle in the Arsenal game.

And in the Utd game Jt also got dragged to the ground in the same incident as Ivanovic and also Ivanovics 2 yellows, 1 one as excellent defending that even Neville thought Di Maria was just weaker.

Let ye not forget Mikel's horror tackle on Arteta breaking his shin pad last season.

Jose takes to the media and 'says it's a man's game' and Arsenal are whinging. Then he comes out with his hypocritical dross after the Burnley game.

I fully behind a Barnes ban and a Matic rescind as I said here early on Saturday. But the hypocrisy is sickening. Imagine if Dyche had come out with the above comments like Jose last year.

Let ye not forget Mikel's horror tackle on Arteta breaking his shin pad last season.

Jose takes to the media and 'says it's a man's game' and Arsenal are whinging. Then he comes out with his hypocritical dross after the Burnley game.

I fully behind a Barnes ban and a Matic rescind as I said here early on Saturday. But the hypocrisy is sickening. Imagine if Dyche had come out with the above comments like Jose last year.

That Mikel tackle was two players going for a 50/50 where one got caught as both went to ground for the ball, Arteta managed to play on without any issue, at the very worst that would have been a yellow for being late but its not in the same league as Barnes tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

This rule that there cannot be retrospective punishment if the ref sees it is bull****. It basically says referees are always right and see stuff perfectly (don't we know the opposite is true!)
    Referees will make mistakes it's human. But there should be a method of correction like rugby when they get it wrong without undermining them which retrospective punishment isn't doing.
    It's a ridiculous miscarriage of justice that after that Matic will be the one punished.
    The FA's protection of referees is pathetic at times. They can't be criticised in interviews or the manager is punished, they rarely get punished for bad games, they don't get decisions that are blatantly wrong overturned and they are never made come out and explain why they made decisions which would clear a bit up at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Just watching cundy on chelsea tv and he asked the question if Costa had done what Barnes had done on Matic he would almost certainly have been banned retrospectivly, he also said that there is a rule where a push below the neck is a yellow and a push to the neck or above is a red so by the letter of the law Matic didn't deserve his red but only time will tell weather the FA can show some form son competency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

That Mikel tackle was two players going for a 50/50 where one got caught as both went to ground for the ball, Arteta managed to play on without any issue, at the very worst that would have been a yellow for being late but its not in the same league as Barnes tackle.

Eh was Matic not able to get up off the ground and run after Barnes?? Does that make it ok?? A yellow for being late as well so by that logic?!

Ridiculous. Horrifically late tackle...hypocrisy justifying it is similar to Jose's whinge on saturday evening and respective complaints from Arsenal at the time.

Eh was Matic not able to get up off the ground and run after Barnes?? Does that make it ok?? A yellow for being late as well so by that logic?!

Ridiculous. Horrifically late tackle...hypocrisy justifying it is similar to Jose's whinge on saturday evening and respective complaints from Arsenal at the time.

I'd say go back and watch the video of Mikels "tackle" again. Both players are honestly going for the ball, both players were reckless, by definition of sliding in with out control but its a 50/50 that neither were pulling out and both could have got hurt.

Thankfully neither were, bar a bit of plastic. Barnes tackle isnt even in the same stratosphere as Mikels attempt to get the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭BarcodeMuncher

Have you seen the tackle, Mikel and Arteta both went in for a 50-50 , yes Mikel was late, yellow was warranted but a fraction of a second differently and Arteta was in the wrong, it in no way compares to Barnes tackle in its severity and intent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

niallo27 wrote:
    That's life though. I could probably name double that for Liverpool easily. Only 13 dodgy desicions is nothing. Costa handled in the square against liverpool as well. That liverpool first leg should even up most of the dodgy ones if you win the cup.

Yeah any team could get plenty of decisions go against them. I'm talking game changing decisions that were mentioned in the ESPN match reports as being wrong.

I challenge anyone to research it objectively like I did and find a team in the Premier League that has suffered that many poor game-changing refereeing decisions as Chelsea this season.

I certainly expect nothing from you anyway niallo.....

niallo27 wrote: »

That's throwing statements around that have no factual basis just because you want to make the Chelsea argument look weaker.

Here's what you would come up with for Liverpool niallo27. Amazingly ye have had a lot more major decisions than Chelsea go ye're way and had less major decisions than Chelsea go against ye. Actually ye have had 9 decisions wrongly go ye're way and 9 wrongly go against ye, its actually evened itself out, whereas Chelsea have had 5 wrongly go our way and had 13 wrongly go against us, a difference of 8!

Cant include Costa's handle in the box as its widely considered by neutrals (and ESPN whose info I used) not to be a penalty, and this has to be objective.

All from the ESPN match reports, not personal opinion.

For
    1. City (A) - Moreno fouls Zabaleta in the box, no penalty given.
    2. Spurs (A) - Allen wins penalty on a ''very soft decision''.
    3. Everton (H) - Moreno fouls Lukaku in the box, no penalty given.
    4. Sunderland (H) - Wickham hauled down by Skrtel in the box, no penalty given.
    5. Leicester (H) - Penalty given to Liverpool for handball when it in fact hit Morgan's head.
    6. Southampton (A) - Can fouls Djurijic in the box, ref misses it.
    7. Southampton (A) - Allen also fouls Djurijic in the area and gets away with it.
    8. Southampton (A) - Mignolet handles the ball outside the box, no punishment.
    9. Chelsea (A) - Costa not given penalty for foul by Skrtel.

Against
    1. Villa (H) - Senderos should be sent-off for challenge on Balotelli, ref didnt see it.
    2. Everton (H) - Barry handles in the box, no penalty given.
    3. Hull (H) - Sterling penalised for handball when in fact he should have gotten a penalty.
    4. Stoke (H) - Lucas denied when he should have been awarded a penalty.
    5. Leicester (A) - Schmeicel should have been off for bringing down Gerrard, got away with it.
    6. Man Utd (A) - Mata offside when he scored, goal stood.
    7. Swansea (H) - Shelvey elbow missed by ref, should have been red card.
    8. Bolton (H) - Henderson should get a penalty but doesnt.
    9. Chelsea (A) - Costa not sent off for stamp on Can.

Martin Atkinson is dropped from this weekends Ref duties, he will however be a 4th official at the Man Utd game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I wanted Burnley to stay up before the weekend. Hope they go down and stay there now.

Rob beasley has also reported the EPL league ref assesor at the Bridge Saturday agreed with all the decisions made by Atkinson....

hhhmmmmm

Anthony Taylor is the ref for our final on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

Rob beasley has also reported the EPL league ref assesor at the Bridge Saturday agreed with all the decisions made by Atkinson....

hhhmmmmm

WHAT!
    I'm sure he'll be a good lad and explain how they were the correct decisions.......

Killinator wrote: »
    WHAT!
    Is the assessor a bit simple?!

Thats what Beasley is writing, if its fact its mental.

Although I think the assessor just goes on what he sees in real time but if hes in the stands judging in real time hes further away from the action than any official.

Its also being reported by the Guardian that our grounds for appeal is on an excessive sentence ground, so its not to get it rescinded but to get it reduced.

• Advertisement

Dyche has had his say, and its moronic.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/23/sean-dyche-jose-mourinho-ashley-barnes
    “I find it hard to believe all these people who have now come out, especially the manager using very, very strong phrases about that moment, didn’t have any reaction at all at that live moment

So because nobody but Matic, the injured party, reacts, it makes it ok. :confused:

Do us a favour dyche.....

Thats what Beasley is writing, if its fact its mental.

Although I think the assessor just goes on what he sees in real time but if hes in the stands judging in real time hes further away from the action than any official.

Another flawless system!

Its nearly more important we win both league games Matic is currently out of than the Capital one cup IMO.

Both games are hugely difficult, home to Southampton and away to west Ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Anthony Taylor is the ref for our final on Sunday

Yeer in for another terrible referee performance so. Worst in the league.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Yeer in for another terrible referee performance so. Worst in the league.

I think thats Jon Moss but taylor isnt great.

i'm surprised one of the more senior refs didnt get the gig even though I know Taylor is on the FIFA list and all that jazz.

GavRedKing wrote:
    Its nearly more important we win both league games Matic is currently out of than the Capital one cup IMO.

If you were offered.....

Option 1: Win the Capital One Cup and take 4 points from the next two league games.

or....

Option 2: Spurs win the Capital One Cup but Chelsea get 6 points in next 2 league games.

What do you take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If you were offered.....

Option 1: Win the Capital One Cup and take 4 points from the next two league games.

or....

Option 2: Spurs win the Capital One Cup but Chelsea get 6 points in next 2 league games.

What do you take?

We need a platform, I think City and Pool will draw so I don't think we'd lose ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

If you were offered.....

or....

What do you take?

Defiantly Option 1. Couldn't handle watching those ***** celebrate at Wembley Sunday.

I'd personally say cup + 4 points, I know dropping points is bad for the league run but there's something to be said for the players, especially the new lads, getting a medal round their neck and a taste of success.

And its Spurs, so, you know...

I'd say the same, but if we win the league anyway then the Capital One Cup win will in the minds of most people be rendered pretty insignificant! Look at City last year, forgotten about really that they won the Capital One!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Seems I'm a jynx somewhat when i go to games. Least i saw a goal this time. Good shot on Brogans btw Gav. Good spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

By and large it does not matter who referees Sunday's match there are very few good refs in the premier league at the moment. And if the assessor in the stand agreed with the decisions of a totally incompetent performance then the English FA are in serious trouble. Does it really need players to have serious injuries before they take some action I wonder?

There have been rumours of the PL breaking away from the FA and paddling their own canoe, issues like this will only give that traction which would be a shame. The FA really need to understand people will always accept a mistake but when these mistakes are repeated and repeated then we enter a world of incompetence. Atkinson was awful on Saturday he was poor in the Spurs Arsenal game, he was poor in the Liverpool Everton game. How many games does that man have to ruin before the penny drops I wonder?

One small wonder though Atkinson managed to get us a positive (ish) piece in the Daily Mail that don't happen often if ever actually

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2966403/The-FA-ban-unrepentant-Barnes-Martin-Atkinson-gardening-leave-rescind-Matic-s-red-card.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

If you were offered.....

or....

What do you take?

Personally, I'd take 2 based on I think Pool will take points off City and a gap will open up again and we'll have a game hand, now I'd prefer 6 points and a cup but thats unlikely and anyway, a capital one cup is nothing when compared to the main title.

It could push us on if we win and it could deflate us if we lose so I can subscribe to the 1st option also.

I cant wait to win the league this year, the tears will be sweet, there shall be many lemons to pass out and I shall re-joice at lesser clubs finishing outside of the top 4 and others being relegated.

May will be a good month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Our from this year is worrying, only one really good performance against Swansea.

Johner wrote: »
    Our from this year is worrying, only one really good performance against Swansea.

It hasnt been great but our biggest rival, city have had equally or worse results in terms of points claimed.

I'm not bothered about Utd, Pool, Arsenal or Spurs, they wont make a oush at the title that will see them leap frog us or City, it would take a huge collapse of sackable proportions for that too happen.

You can only hope with a light schedule over the next few weeks we get it right on the training ground. It should be seen as worrying by the FA that the assessor concurred with Atkinson's errors as this will lead to a place they don't want to go. The football league buried their head in the sand years ago and the PL was born, it can happen again. It seems quite obvious that the FA are run by yes men devoid of independent thought that is a very dangerous position for any organisation to get itself into.

Thinking about it why did Wenger not get a red for pushing TSHO recently, personally I think it would have been a joke but if they are to be consistent then he should have been.

You can only hope with a light schedule over the next few weeks we get it right on the training ground. It should be seen as worrying by the FA that the assessor concurred with Atkinson's errors as this will lead to a place they don't want to go. The football league buried their head in the sand years ago and the PL was born, it can happen again. It seems quite obvious that the FA are run by yes men devoid of independent thought that is a very dangerous position for any organisation to get itself into.

Thinking about it why did Wenger not get a red for pushing TSHO recently, personally I think it would have been a joke but if they are to be consistent then he should have been.

Had it been the other way around there would have been a ban. we dont get favours form the FA, f**k it, we dont even seem to get the right calls from them, i dont want to sound like a deluded RAWK poster but its pretty clear to see this year, one or two bad calls you're annoyed about but when you get so many against you it starts to take on a different light.

We still shouldnt have to rely on refs but when such blatant calls are being ignored or turned down its hard to think other than a "campaign" which I want to believe isnt happening and its just s**t reffing but then that brings about its own set of issues, huge ones.

Do we want City to win tonight? I find it hard to cheer for them or any other English club in European competition but tonight it makes sense to cheer for City.

We'd have an easier time beating City than Barcelona and if City are in the Quarter-Finals then they will have 2 huge games as distractions from the league....

But I also adore Lionel Messi and it would hurt me to see Ronaldo win the Ballon D'Or again so wouldn't like Barcelona to be knocked out this early, solely because of that

I think theyll have to much about them and theyll beat City over the two legs.

Would love to see City win tonight, don't think it would do us much harm for City to progress and I really do dislike Barca so a good 3-1 win would be good keep them both interested for the second leg then see City through after peno's.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »

TBH our form this year has been dire. We have a really light schedule now so plenty of time to iron out the creases on the training gound. Regardless of what happens to Matic there is no reason why we should not hit the ground running against the happy hammers next week.

Speaking of Matic when will the result of the appeal be known (I am assuming we did launch an appeal).

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Don't care who goes through between City and Barcelona. I'd be more apprehensive playing City in a QF tbh.

We shouldn't really be counting our chickens yet though. We need to get beyond the immediate danger posed by a strong PSG side first. They're a totally different proposition to last season with Ibra and Cavan playing well and, in all honesty, they have talent all over the rest of the park. Still may be less than the sum of their parts but I'd be cautious talking about QFs at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

The whole season will end on a sour note, with no league and a defeat on Sunday. And it all looked so promising while still unbeaten with the only points dropped against United and City, both away. To add to that, this thread will become last season's Liverpool thread, albeit over a greater stretch of months, perhaps just as popular, but for differing reasons given that not all of us at the minute are going "Aww yea, we're gonna win, let's whip Palace 6, 7 nil", but because everyone hates Mourinho.

Extreme view but that's what i'm feeling at the moment. Wouldn't it be nice to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

The whole season will end on a sour note, with no league and a defeat on Sunday. And it all looked so promising while still unbeaten with the only points dropped against United and City, both away. To add to that, this thread will become last season's Liverpool thread, albeit over a greater stretch of months, perhaps just as popular, but for differing reasons given that not all of us at the minute are going "Aww yea, we're gonna win, let's whip Palace 6, 7 nil", but because everyone hates Mourinho.

Extreme view but that's what i'm feeling at the moment. Wouldn't it be nice to be proved wrong.

Don't care who goes through between City and Barcelona. I'd be more apprehensive playing City in a QF tbh.

We shouldn't really be counting our chickens yet though. We need to get beyond the immediate danger posed by a strong PSG side first. They're a totally different proposition to last season with Ibra and Cavan playing well and, in all honesty, they have talent all over the rest of the park. Still may be less than the sum of their parts but I'd be cautious talking about QFs at this stage.

I meant from a keeping City occupied aspect for our PL chances. The PSG game will be very tight they are a decent team.

TBH our form this year has been dire. We have a really light schedule now so plenty of time to iron out the creases on the training gound. Regardless of what happens to Matic there is no reason why we should not hit the ground running against the happy hammers next week.

Speaking of Matic when will the result of the appeal be known (I am assuming we did launch an appeal).

The appeal has been lodged so its up to the FA to set a date for the hearing, I'd assume it will be later this week, probably Thursday or Friday, the deadline to appeal the decision was today lunch time I'm sure.

Of course, even if we go 1 up at the Bridge it changes nothing about PSG approach to the game, they have to score to go through, so going 1 down wont chnage their way of playing. I think we're a better team but its not that simple really, if they score first for instance we'll have to chase the game and could be picked off, the first goal is crucial, we get it and theyre forced into a slight tactical change, if they get it we'll have to go balls to the wall to win.

You could be right, I've said it that if we win the league cup it could set us up for the thirst and desire for trophies in May, subsequently it could see us fall to pieces if we lose and pick up less than 3 points from the next 2 games.

FWIW, I'd give up the league cup trophy if it meant we win the league, its more important. For Spurs a trophy defines their season as I dont think they'll get top 4. For us, if we win the league cup final and not the league its a failure, simple as.

Spurs might be happy with the league cup and a push for 4th, I'd be disgusted with just winning the league cup and losing the league in the long run.

I meant from a keeping City occupied aspect for our PL chances. The PSG game will be very tight they are a decent team.

Arsenal have the best chance to get through of all the English teams.

Monaco should be a cake walk for them and in the QF, depending on the draw, you could have an easier path to the semi final.

Avoid Bayern/Real/Barca in the QF's and you've got a decent shout of making the SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Finally someone sees sense in here.

All this racism bollix will kick of the campaign even more strongly against us.

the gap will be 2 pts soon, then -1 point (but with a game in hand) ... then -4 and then we will never be top again.

All over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Arsenal have the best chance to get through of all the English teams.

Monaco should be a cake walk for them and in the QF, depending on the draw, you could have an easier path to the semi final.

Avoid Bayern/Real/Barca in the QF's and you've got a decent shout of making the SF.

I actually disagree, they have the easiest draw of the English teams but it's not going to be a cake walk. Monaco have a mean defense, exactly the type of team that Wenger hates playing IMO.

• Advertisement

the_monkey wrote: »
    Finally someone sees sense in here.

All this racism bollix will kick of the campaign even more strongly against us.

the gap will be 2 pts soon, then -1 point (but with a game in hand) ... then -4 and then we will never be top again.

All over.

I'd be surprised if City beat Pool away next weekend, Pool are in good form at the moment and will certainly put it up to City, dont forget theyve a chance to points on the board against a rival as Spurs arent playing.

I'll be cheering us and pool on in the same day, feels weird and dirty but if we win and pool win then f**k it, anyhting can happen.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I actually disagree, they have the easiest draw of the English teams but it's not going to be a cake walk. Monaco have a mean defense, exactly the type of team that Wenger hates playing IMO.

I know about their defence but theyve got 5 or 6 players out of the game I'm sure I read somewhere. If Arsenal take a lead to Monaco they'll go through with ease I'd reckon, would make for an interesting 2nd leg too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement