Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

hots wrote: »
    Completely agree, mourinho needs to find his balls and drop 2 of our biggest names.

I only hope once the window is closed whatever politics were at play end and Ivan and Cesc are dropped. Bright side today was RLC and Kenedy both seemed to be really up for it and did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

2 weeks til next game so we could have a few injuries from internationals and few new names, maybe a French midfielder if Roman gets the cheque out after 4 lacklustre performances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Positives ........kenedy and a falcao goal.....that's all I've got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I just realised I had Courtois, Ivan and Fabregas in my Fantasy team.

I wouldn't be the superstitious type but I removed all 3 just in case. Expect normal service to resume next match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

peteeeed wrote: »
    Positives ........kenedy and a falcao goal.....that's all I've got

RLC looked fine. And Pedro was good. Zouma looked good again. It's some really really poor individual performances that are completely fcuking us, they need to be fixed before anything else will sort together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ok first off. Not a Chelsea fan. Not a fan of any team in fact - except underdogs, maybe.

The reaction here to Jose is OTT. Yes Chelsea have not played well with almost a year now and yes Jose does seem to have a 3 year problem at clubs in terms of performances. But here are two other things to consider.

Chelsea are trying to play a higher line offensive attacking football. (Which is why ye badly need a player like stones. Terry just ain't suited for that type of game. Never really was tbh). Do Chelsea need to learn this play way? Absolutely, if you want to be competitive in Europe. People always refer to Jose teams as being defensive. That's true - to an extent. They're also great offensively. Real Madrid, the season they won la liga, were bombarding every team they played against they were pushed back clinging on. The same with inter. The only thing was with every team he's managed so far rotation seems to be an alien concept and come the final leg of the season his players are conked.

Could this be Jose again losing camp and player confidence, a lot of players do lose form (and eventually faith) under his management? Possibly. His players definitely do need a kick up the arse. Cesc, Matic and Ivan in particular. But keep in mind when you're adapting a system growing pains are expected. Give it time, if the problems are ongoing in November then it's time to start posing the harder questions. Not yet though. Not yet.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ok first off. Not a Chelsea fan. Not a fan of any team in fact - except underdogs, maybe.

The reaction here to Jose is OTT. Yes Chelsea have not played well with almost a year now and yes Jose does seem to have a 3 year problem at clubs in terms of performances. But here are two other things to consider.

Chelsea are trying to play a higher line offensive attacking football. (Which is why ye badly need a player like stones. Terry just ain't suited for that type of game. Never really was tbh). Do Chelsea need to learn this play way? Absolutely, if you want to be competitive in Europe. People always refer to Jose teams as being defensive. That's true - to an extent. They're also great offensively. Real Madrid, the season they won la liga, were bombarding every team they played against they were pushed back clinging on. The same with inter. The only thing was with every team he's managed so far rotation seems to be an alien concept.

Could this be Jose again losing camp and player confidence, a lot of players do lose form (and eventually faith) under his management? Possibly. His players definitely do need a kick up the are. Cesc, Matic and Ivan in particular. But keep in mind when you're adapting a system growing pains are expected. Give it time, if the problems are ongoing in November then it's time to start losing the harder questions. Not yet though. Not yet.

Couldn't agree more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Depends on next game whether we be saying it's a rebuilding season. As if the same team plays and loses it be the last season I say.
    We looked a bit better with 2 strikers but defence that won the league looks shaky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Chelsea are trying to play a higher line offensive attacking football. (Which is why ye badly need a player like stones. Terry just ain't suited for that type of game. Never really was tbh). Do Chelsea need to learn this play way? Absolutely, if you want to be competitive in Europe. People always refer to Jose teams as being defensive. That's true - to an extent. They're also great offensively. Real Madrid, the season they won la liga, were bombarding every team they played against they were pushed back clinging on. The same with inter. The only thing was with every team he's managed so far rotation seems to be an alien concept and come the final leg of the season his players are conked.

Could this be Jose again losing camp and player confidence, a lot of players do lose form (and eventually faith) under his management? Possibly. His players definitely do need a kick up the arse. Cesc, Matic and Ivan in particular. But keep in mind when you're adapting a system growing pains are expected. Give it time, if the problems are ongoing in November then it's time to start posing the harder questions. Not yet though. Not yet.

Good analysis, well made. Also easier to make when you've no vested interest. Jose is a goner. He's bad press for the club, especially when he's not winning/playing well. It's all about the bottom line (points n pots). Romans trigger finger will be itching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Lukker- wrote: »
    Falcao on now, f*ck off.

c9u1x.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Falcao was sh*te other then the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Keno wrote: »
    c9u1x.gif

A United fan coming in to mock with a Falcao meme?!
    I've seen it all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If anything will loosen the purse strings, today's display will. The next few days will be exciting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

duploelabs wrote: »
    If anything will loosen the purse strings, today's display will. The next few days will be exciting

Stones is now valued at a gazillion pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Starting line v everton for me

Courtois
    Azp terry zouma rahman
    RLC matic
    Pedro oscar hazard
    Costa

Fabregas shouldn't be played next to matic anymore. #10 spot should be between him and oscar let them fight for it. And willian should be back up to Pedro and hazard or he could play #10 in emergencies.

So imo all we need is a good cm to partner matic. We're not stuck for defenders really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cesc was terrible, only ivanovic was worse imo. The fact azp and matic both came off instead of the other two is mind boggling to say the least. Time and again palace got in behind ivan and cesc gave away stupid balls and kept turning into trouble. Without JT the backline lacked serious balance and a leader too. Kenedy was good, Pedro was decent had a few efforts, Hazard was nowhere and Willian......well Willian was Willian, a waste of money with no end product. RLC and Kenedy were decent when they came on and Falcao looked to get involved and took his goal well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Any chance Cesc can f´ck off back to Barça ???

I´d love to see him play as shít for them as he does for Chelsea lately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

the_monkey wrote: »
    Any chance Cesc can f´ck off back to Barça ???

I´d love to see him play as shít for them as he does for Chelsea lately.

ive been watching fabregas for a while. he was always defensively culpable. like toni kroos or pirlo, defending isnt these guys forte. but matic did the job in protecting the back four.

what has happened is matic isnt working as hard as he used to in protecting that back four.

Roquentin wrote: »
    ive been watching fabregas for a while. he was always defensively culpable. like toni kroos or pirlo, defending isnt these guys forte. but matic did the job in protecting the back four.

what has happened is matic isnt working as hard as he used to in protecting that back four.

It's definitely a little bit of this. But there was a time last season where Cesc showed plenty of tactical nous. He wasn't putting in loads of tackles but he was doing the most important thing in the double pivot, himself and Matic would stay side by side when not in possession. Now after he loses the ball he just seems to slowly drift back into position leaving Matic try and cover the space of 2 players, of course he's going to exposed in a system like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Garzorico wrote: »
    Jose should never have come back - time for him to go. This season is already a washout.

1 win (against a mid table team) 1 draw (against a mid table team) and 2 losses (1 against a mid table team - at home, no less)

Thanks for the memories Jose - dead man walking

Unless you came in here for a wee troll, what the fhuck are you on about....

• Advertisement

Chelsea's biggest mistake was still sacking Ancellotti

Yeaaaaa, i'm sure everybody would much rather having zero European cups...

hahaha ... just checked next game - away to Everton .... hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

0 pts coming up from that one...

I might put a flutter on for Jose to be sacked after that game.

How old are you young monkey?

You come out with some strange statements...

Is anybody else of the opinion that Costa could do with being dropped? He's not playing as well as last year, regardless of the service.

Remy being frozen out?

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    Is anybody else of the opinion that Costa could do with being dropped? He's not playing as well as last year, regardless of the service.

Remy being frozen out?

Maybe not "dropped", but Falcao showed a bit more desire to play some football like a striker and not trying to get in a fight with defenders, which today didn't work out for Costa but has on other occassions

Wouldn't be surprised to see Remy go, I'd be more worried if he stayed because what desire is he showing as a player if he's happy to be 3rd choice striker when we play 1 striker most of the time. Bertrand Traore played up front for Vitesse last year so he wouldn't be a bad choice. The only reason I'd see Remy being kept is Falcao and Costa are liable to injuries, mind you so is Remy

Don't think we'll be signing anyone unfortunately.

Cesc is a luxury that is great when everything is working. At the minute Ivan is still at the beach, Matic has not really started and Cahill is average.

With those 3 poor Cesc can't play really and should be dropped.

I still can't understand how Dave was subbed and Ivan on the pitch at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Cesc is a luxury that is great when everything is working. At the minute Ivan is still at the beach, Matic has not really started and Cahill is average.

With those 3 poor Cesc can't play really and should be dropped.

I still can't understand how Dave was subbed and Ivan on the pitch at the end.

Doubly strange that in his press conference Mourinho said Azpilicueta had played well, weird, weird choice to take him of and leave Ivanovic on, made no sense at all. I'm a big fan of Ivanovic over the years but he has had a woeful start to the season. As has been said, along with Fabregas and most surprisingly to me anyway, Matic.

I'd partner Mikel and Matic together until we can sort our sh*t out.

Alot of people saying drop Cahill, but bar the City game I don't think he has done too much wrong. His protection is Fabregas and Ivanovic too so he's not exactly working with much.

Doubly strange that in his press conference Mourinho said Azpilicueta had played well, weird, weird choice to take him of and leave Ivanovic on, made no sense at all. I'm a big fan of Ivanovic over the years but he has had a woeful start to the season. As has been said, along with Fabregas and most surprisingly to me anyway, Matic.

I'd imagine he left Ivan on for set pieces, Palace have a good few tall players and maybe he was hoping for a goal.

I reckon he was talking about him wehn he said he wish he had taken him off instead though.

• Advertisement

I'd partner Mikel and Matic together until we can sort our sh*t out.

Alot of people saying drop Cahill, but bar the City game I don't think he has done too much wrong. His protection is Fabregas and Ivanovic too so he's not exactly working with much.

I like cahill tbh he rarely does a whole lot wrong but I'd also lik zouma to start getting game time. In fact I'd love to see Zouma at rb some time

It's definitely a little bit of this. But there was a time last season where Cesc showed plenty of tactical nous. He wasn't putting in loads of tackles but he was doing the most important thing in the double pivot, himself and Matic would stay side by side when not in possession. Now after he loses the ball he just seems to slowly drift back into position leaving Matic try and cover the space of 2 players, of course he's going to exposed in a system like that.

its a trade off. what cesc will give you is 20 assists. but a lot of these highly creative players struggle to sprint. as well as that they have to motivate themselves to work or defend. my guess, after last seasons enormous effort to win, cesc is just psychologically tired.

Roquentin wrote: »
    its a trade off. what cesc will give you is 20 assists. but a lot of these highly creative players struggle to sprint. as well as that they have to motivate themselves to work or defend. my guess, after last seasons enormous effort to win, cesc is just psychologically tired.

If he looked like he was going to give 20 assists this year I'd let him be, he's just missing so so many passes. Last year his creativity was enough to mask any other weaknesses as well as the fact that a strong Cesc meant better possession and less defending to do.

hots wrote: »
    If he looked like he was going to give 20 assists this year I'd let him be, he's just missing so so many passes. Last year his creativity was enough to mask any other weaknesses as well as the fact that a strong Cesc meant better possession and less defending to do.

its part of the reason barca let him go and brought in ratikic. ratikic and arda turan will defend and work, which allows the front three to do their bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Panthro wrote: »
    A United fan coming in to mock with a Falcao meme?!
    I've seen it all!

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

My own take is that this team is still in complete transition. Jose inherited a declining squad in season 1. He made enough temporary tweaks to get him through season 2 with the title. But the transition is only halfway there.

My guess is that Jose is frustrated with the transfer window and feels his hands are tied behind his back. With the poor window (meaning late acquisitions), there's a good chance Chelsea are effectively out of this title race (at best, there's no more margin of error).

The question is, is Jose up for seeing the transition through, and is Abramovich ready to see Chelsea go through this season without silverware so new transfers can be integrated and the likes of RLC blooded in, all using real matchtime. RA may have no choice, having botched this transfer window, costing the squad two months' prep time.

• Advertisement

McDave wrote: »
    My own take is that this team is still in complete transition. Jose inherited a declining squad in season 1. He made enough temporary tweaks to get him through season 2 with the title. But the transition is only halfway there.

My guess is that Jose is frustrated with the transfer window and feels his hands are tied behind his back. With the poor window (meaning late acquisitions), there's a good chance Chelsea are effectively out of this title race (at best, there's no more margin of error).

The question is, is Jose up for seeing the transition through, and is Abramovich ready to see Chelsea go through this season without silverware so new transfers can be integrated and the likes of RLC blooded in, all using real matchtime. RA may have no choice, having botched this transfer window, costing the squad two months' prep time.

How can you say we are out of this title race with only 4 games played lol? 34 games yet to play ??

rottie 11 wrote: »
    How can you say we are out of this title race with only 4 games played lol? 34 games yet to play ??

Look at last season, we opened up a gap 8-10 point lead at the start of the season and then maintained it for the rest of the season. At this point I can't see us keeping pace with teams around us.

It's partly down to not strengthening and Jose's inability to drop players who performed well for him last season. I'm at least hoping he's learned his lesson about the latter because I don't think we'll be signing anyone.

Look at last season, we opened up a gap 8-10 point lead at the start of the season and then maintained it for the rest of the season. At this point I can't see us keeping pace with teams around us.

It's partly down to not strengthening and Jose's inability to drop players who performed well for him last season. I'm at least hoping he's learned his lesson about the latter because I don't think we'll be signing anyone.

City were 8 points behind us last season and with 3-4 games we were only ahead because of alfabetical order. So I'm not giving up hope yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

League is far from over. We just cant allow too many slip ups. City will faulter eventually but it depends on whos close to them. Will it be us, arsenal or utd.

I cant see anyone catching them and over taking them until about October or November though.

The league definitely isn't over but there's a lot more pressure on any of the big fixtures now. We've used up some of our free passes already and with city on form we won't get many.

• Advertisement

city look up for it tbh

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Read *closely* what I *actually* wrote.

I said there's a *good chance* we're effectively out of the race. I say it on the basis that we've already shipped 8 points on the top spot, and that with at least four teams in contention, the odds are already stacking against us. And that much of the reason for our deficit is poor preparation, and very late interventions into the transfer market.

Of course, a lot can change with a couple of top signings, a transformation in squad performance, a good run, and results going our way particularly with City being reeled back into the pack. But I see this as a lot of ducks to get in a row, so on that basis there's a good chance we've already ceded too much ground.

Remember what Fergie said about Mou 1's Chelsea just getting and staying ahead. Well we're not even close to that now, and indeed Jose himself is now in uncharted territory.

City really hit the ground running and have done good work in the transfer market, overpaid but got most of what they want.

We have spent too much time flapping about, are the purse strings being pulled in with the stadium expansion possibly under way aka Arsenal. If so fine we will all accept that as it is needed, I mean even for a chap of Romans means half a billion is unlikely to be found down the back of the settee.

If the stadium is to be an entirely separate project then as WAGNH has pointed out on many an occasion we SHOULD have pots of money to strengthen the squad. The world and his dog knew last season our defence was a little shaky, God I said it often enough and I would not compare to TSHO thats for sure. Still we allow 2 possible starters (Christensen and Kalas) to go on loan sell two (Luis & Cech) before any replacements were on board. Reasonably quickly after being bent over a barrel by Stoke we sorted the keeper, the replacement for Luis was signed after the season start and has not seen the pitch as yet we are wafer thin in central defence and central midfield. We really only have 6 defenders for a season of 50 odd games we need to be extremely lucky to get away with that, and we are not as Ivan is leaden footed and Cahill whilst being OK is just that OK.

There is something afoot at the Bridge I suspect, whatever it is it is being kept very much underwraps as there does not appear to be any press speculation. Is Roman insisting we look at the academy before buying players, are the players we want just not available or is the stadium?

Could be an interesting season but at the end of the day we TSHO and he will steer us clear sure of that.

BTW, I do think Jose is in for the longer haul. The test of that will be him holding onto his job, even if things continue to go relatively mediocrely. A bit more patience during this painful enough transition.

And the good news is depite all, we're only 3 points off the other recognised main contenders.

Chalobah on loan to Napoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

McDave wrote: »
    And the good news is depite all, we're only 3 points off the other recognised main contenders.

Good news for City tbh...

Chalobah on loan to Napoli.

Couldn't get playing for Burnley last year, doesn't make any sense

Couldn't get playing for Burnley last year, doesn't make any sense

Must be hard being pushed from pillar to post trying to settle and all. At least Napoli have a proper manager now so he might do something, hope so.

Must be hard being pushed from pillar to post trying to settle and all. At least Napoli have a proper manager now so he might do something, hope so.

Not playing at a crucial age is even worse

I'm not in favour of sending so many players abroad to different leagues. Even if Chalobah is a success, it's in a different league with a different intensity and style of play. Same for all the Vitesse players and the like Pasalic, as well as Kalas and Piazon last year. Playing in the premier league is the best thing for them, that's what I'd have high hopes for Van Ginkel for next year, and had high hopes for Bamford but he's only had 11 minutes in 3 games

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement