Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015/16

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Wonder if Ranieri fancies his old job back.

He's defo drop Ivanovic and Cesc

Himself and Jose are complete opposite with regards squad rotation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm sure Mourinho will come good again and he's probably still the right man for Chelsea but I love Ranieri, may not be the best manager ever but a gentleman through and through, that 4th place was gold dust and am pleased he's doing OK at and Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

gosplan wrote: »
    The attack will click and they'll be fine. I'd be worried about the defence though. Ivan and Terry may just be past it which leaves 4 defenders.

I think the uncertainty at the back is transmitting itself through the rest of the team. Terry just may be feeling it's getting beyond him. Ivan shouldn't be in that place yet. But overall, it's hard to make up for their current failings.

Stones was being courted for a reason, which is becoming more evident by the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Willian turned down both Spurs and Liverpool. :pac:

He is now my favourite Chelsea player, hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Somebody needs to tell Ivanovic to stop putting his hands behind his back when he closes the ball down. Its an unnatural thing to do and slows him down. I reckon if he didnt do it there is a fair chance he could've got a block in to prevent the first 2 goals yesterday.

• Advertisement

Somebody needs to tell Ivanovic to stop putting his hands behind his back when he closes the ball down. Its an unnatural thing to do and slows him down. I reckon if he didnt do it there is a fair chance he could've got a block in to prevent the first 2 goals yesterday.

Hes at it awhile now.

Last year we got away with it by and large but his short comings are more exposed when he doesnt have a positive effect on the game at the other end.

The 2nd Naismith goal is an example of players getting at our back 4 too easily and then, none of the back 4 dealing with the issue.

Ivan should be closing the shot but he backs off and holds his ground, Naismith on his weaker left shouldn't be scoring from there but hes got the invite and its a good finish.

similarly with the header,Ivan isnt closing down the cross early enough, resul, great header to make it 1-0.

We'll be back to winning ways on Wednesday anyway but the test will be against Arsenal on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Hes at it awhile now.

Last year we got away with it by and large but his short comings are more exposed when he doesnt have a positive effect on the game at the other end.

The 2nd Naismith goal is an example of players getting at our back 4 too easily and then, none of the back 4 dealing with the issue.

Ivan should be closing the shot but he backs off and holds his ground, Naismith on his weaker left shouldn't be scoring from there but hes got the invite and its a good finish.

similarly with the header,Ivan isnt closing down the cross early enough, resul, great header to make it 1-0.

Its because he is too concerned with getting his hands behind his back. He has been at it a while now Im surprised Mourinho hasnt pulled him up on it. Moreno did it last year and also cost a goal its something that is creeping into defending that annoys me more than it should.

Its because he is too concerned with getting his hands behind his back. He has been at it a while now Im surprised Mourinho hasnt pulled him up on it. Moreno did it last year and also cost a goal its something that is creeping into defending that annoys me more than it should.

Theyre just afraid to give away frees and penos but I see your point, putting your hands behind your back like that might stop that but if a player feints and drags it on youre not going to have natural balance to turn and match his movement.

Rahman to start Wednesday at LB would be good though, even if he scores a hat trick it will still be Ivanovic at RB on Saturday though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Theyre just afraid to give away frees and penos but I see your point, putting your hands behind your back like that might stop that but if a player feints and drags it on youre not going to have natural balance to turn and match his movement.

Rahman to start Wednesday at LB would be good though, even if he scores a hat trick it will still be Ivanovic at RB on Saturday though.

Not a good strategy though.

From 2 yards it's likely a handball would be judged ball to hand or not even seen.

May as well do a vintage era John Terry frog splash at the thing. He got away with loads but in fairness to him he just didn't stick his arms behind his back and the ball happened to hit them. I'm not sure there's an onus on a defender to do this, is there?

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Not a good strategy though.

From 2 yards it's likely a handball would be judged ball to hand or not even seen.

May as well do a vintage era John Terry frog splash at the thing. He got away with loads but in fairness to him he just didn't stick his arms behind his back and the ball happened to hit them. I'm not sure there's an onus on a defender to do this, is there?

Thats the thing, ball hitting you at that distance is usually ball to hand as long as the ref judges your hands to be in a natural position.

A FB should be engaging the oncoming player though but Ivan is scared s*itless he'll be done for pace and just isnt as active in getting out to the ball.

Its not all down to him of course, hes not the scapegoat but theres a serious case to be made for to be at fault for a good 75% of the goals we've shipped.

As I said though, its not all him, otherwise its a simple solution, our issues are much more complicated than just swapping a FB and it has to be sorted ASAP if we want to run this above close or even have them looking over their shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

100% he put his hands behind his back and then turned . most of the goals our coming downs our right hand side

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

McDave wrote: »
    I think the uncertainty at the back is transmitting itself through the rest of the team. Terry just may be feeling it's getting beyond him. Ivan shouldn't be in that place yet. But overall, it's hard to make up for their current failings.

Stones was being courted for a reason, which is becoming more evident by the week.

Yep agree issues are certainly stemming from the back, we all knew we had problems there last year. Which is all the more amazing we lent out players who could help and never bought what we needed. There were monumental mistakes at the Bridge this summer.

Our pre season was a farce for which we are still paying

There seemed to have been no joined up thinking regarding transfers, it seems they were all still congratulating themselves for doing such a splendid job in the 2014 window that they totally messed this one up. Best transfer window by far was City they knew what they wanted and got it, overpaid perhaps but the players are in City blue and thats all that matters really.

Obviously the team have underperformed, some team selections are at best odd. It is almost that we started to believe all the hype around us and just turned up - never works that.

Still it will be interesting, it is a long time since we were such a shambles and TSHO has possibly never experienced this is in his career. What will happen next?

Is Romans finger getting itchy? Are TSHO's feet getting itchy.

I hope not we certainly have the talent in the group to salvage the season, the league is beyond us but we have not had a decent CL run for ages (one semi in 4 years is it not enough if a team wants to consider itself one of the best in the world) so top 4 and CL final and all will be right with the world.

Worry not all us blue Cherubs just apply a little Jules..........

The path of the TSHO is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is TSHO who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children

peteeeed wrote: »
    100% he put his hands behind his back and then turned . most of the goals our coming downs our right hand side

The advice I once got about golf might help him as well.

Give it a three month break then give it up altogether.

There'll be some meltdown if we dont win on Wednesday :pac:

While I expect a few changes, a win still wont gloss over our terrible start. The only thing that might kick start a bit of form is beating Arsenal.

But we're leaving in about an avergae of 2.5 goals a game, do that at home to Arsenal and we'll lose again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

and backing off too. He makes no attempt to pressure the attacker

duploelabs wrote: »
    and backing off too. He makes no attempt to pressure the attacker

Hes afraid to commit, hes not a very mobile FB, not anymore anyway and he only seems to have one speed, which is slow.

Hes not as slow as Terry but Ivan will get roasted by any decent LW or LB in the league at this stage.

Whats annoying too is he never seems to be busting a gut to get back into position either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

FWIW (and yes, newspaper talk should always be taken with a bucket of salt) the Mail puts it down to a general discontent triggered by Jose's treatment of Dr. Eva, Costa going on the batter and Hazard and the Brazilians wanting to play more expansively.

Nothing if not colourful.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3233077/Jose-Mourinho-upset-Chelsea-staff-Eva-Carneiro-treatment-feuding-Diego-Costa-squad-unhappy-Blues-stars-given-manager.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There'll be some meltdown if we dont win on Wednesday :pac:

While I expect a few changes, a win still wont gloss over our terrible start. The only thing that might kick start a bit of form is beating Arsenal.

But we're leaving in about an avergae of 2.5 goals a game, do that at home to Arsenal and we'll lose again.

I wouldn't worry - I can't remember the last time Arsenal scored 0.5 of a goal in a match !

Anyone looking for some toilet reading, check out Neil aShton on the Daily Mail getting the knives out early with some excellent conjecture.

EDIT : aaaahhhh someone just posted the link before I hit f5 :pac:

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry - I can't remember the last time Arsenal scored 0.5 of a goal in a match !

So its either 2 or 3 we'l be letting in so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Lads all this talk of Mourinho getting the bullet is starting to worry me. As much as i dont want him been sacked (IMO best coach in the world) i could really see him been sacked, even tough he just signed a new contract.

When we signed djoniopeinwq and Hector they straight away reminded me of Sidwell and ben Haim. Really worring. If the likes of Hazard and Oscar were complainng of not playing more expansive id imagine Mou would drop them. Just crap paper talk IMO.

As for Ivan putting his hands behind his back, he has been doing it for years. He was at falut for 90% of the goals conceded this season he HAS to be dropped. We seemed to be panicing trying to force the ball forward at times and then when we got a chance to break at speed we just passed side to side like we did not know how to play.

Ivan and Fab have got to be dropped and the rest of the squad needs a kick in the pipe hole!

what a day wrote: »
    Lads all this talk of Mourinho getting the bullet is starting to worry me. As much as i dont want him been sacked (IMO best coach in the world) i could really see him been sacked, even tough he just signed a new contract.

When we signed djoniopeinwq and Hector they straight away reminded me of Sidwell and ben Haim. Really worring. If the likes of Hazard and Oscar were complainng of not playing more expansive id imagine Mou would drop them. Just crap paper talk IMO.

As for Ivan putting his hands behind his back, he has been doing it for years. He was at falut for 90% of the goals conceded this season he HAS to be dropped. We seemed to be panicing trying to force the ball forward at times and then when we got a chance to break at speed we just passed side to side like we did not know how to play.

Ivan and Fab have got to be dropped and the rest of the squad needs a kick in the pipe hole!

I really hope its that simple, I hope its a case of dropping a few players and we'l return to form but these issues seem to run deep.

Nobody should be invincible and a lot of the XI that started against Everton could easily be dropped, however, we know that we'll see probably 8 or 9 of them against Arsenal.

Begovic will play.
    The back 4 might change slightly as Zouma/Cahill/JT will be at CB, Ivan will 100% start against Arsenal, IMO, which is worrying.

Midfield 5 is a disaster, Mikel was meant to protect the back 4 and was s**t, Cesc was s**t as a#10 and Hazard was nowhere. Hard to call whats going to happen there for the Arsenal game but hopefully a fully fit Oscar and Willian coming back will force those in the midfield 5 to be worried about their places.

CF, well Costas not had many chances all told, the half chances he is getting hes taking extra touches or trying to setup goals, last year was different.

We should be comfortable against M. Tel Aviv which should allow us some chnages but its nearly better to play the same XI for Tel Aviv as well as Arsenal to get the winning feeling back among the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I totally agree. As poor as we have been we need our players to click, that will only happen with game time since we had a poor preseason. But Ivan and Fab are at such a poor level its like they are not match fit or have been out for 6 - 8 months and are playing their first game back. They need to be dropped as they are a liability.

Willian should be a good choice to play the number 10 role and id start Mikel again beside Matic.I said it in preseason we need to up grade a hugh amount of players if we want to progress in europe and be even near the same level as Barca Bayern or Madrid.

When you compare squads just look at who would get into any of their squads??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

What a disaster of a weekend lads.

Naismith coming on due to an injury and getting a hat trick, Martinez smug look at the side-line.

Then City winning in injury time was the icing on the cake :mad:

Poor Stevie G
    I remembered him (Jose) winning the Champions League with Inter Milan and the devastation of his players when he left. You could see it in their faces. I understood how they felt because they had shared such a big moment in their careers together.

I never had that with Rafa Benitez. I would have had it with Jose Mourinho.

what a day wrote: »
    I totally agree. As poor as we have been we need our players to click, that will only happen with game time since we had a poor preseason. But Ivan and Fab are at such a poor level its like they are not match fit or have been out for 6 - 8 months and are playing their first game back. They need to be dropped as they are a liability.

Willian should be a good choice to play the number 10 role and id start Mikel again beside Matic.I said it in preseason we need to up grade a hugh amount of players if we want to progress in europe and be even near the same level as Barca Bayern or Madrid.

When you compare squads just look at who would get into any of their squads??

Those 3, Barca, Bayern and Real are so far ahead of the rest its not funny.

You might catch them in a one off game but playing them over 2 legs in Europe, you're on a hiding to nothing.

As it stands anyway and they way we're playing, we'd be beating by most sides in Engand let alone the best in Europe. :o

Win Wednesday and hopefully win Saturday and the season will heopfully kick on. Wednesday week we begin the defence of the Capital 1 cup too which should see more changes an dmore games for the fringe players so getting 3 wins on the spin would be a great feeling for the players.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    FWIW (and yes, newspaper talk should always be taken with a bucket of salt) the Mail puts it down to a general discontent triggered by Jose's treatment of Dr. Eva, Costa going on the batter and Hazard and the Brazilians wanting to play more expansively.

Nothing if not colourful.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3233077/Jose-Mourinho-upset-Chelsea-staff-Eva-Carneiro-treatment-feuding-Diego-Costa-squad-unhappy-Blues-stars-given-manager.html

Ah typical kick them when they are down guff, it's only in Legoland everything is awesome.

Really interested to see the team against Arsenal, sadly I do think Ivan will start. I would love to think that the Everton game was the game they were given to show they were still able but I don't think so.

After Arsenal we have Barcodes, Saints and Villa up we really need to win that 4 to steady the ship.

So pop pickers who do we reckon to get the season going on Wednesday?

Begovic, Dave, Happy, JT, Baba II, RLC, Matic, Oscar, Willian, Pedro, Falcao for me. If Oscar not fit throw in Traore or Kenedy, toss up between Falcao and Remy but if Falcao is going to do anything he needs games (same could be said for Remy though).

Cesc, Ivan, Hazard and Costa deserve to be dropped and should be. At some stage it has to be shown that your place depends upon your form.

• Advertisement

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse Mike Dean is appointed to the Arsenal game

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse Mike Dean is appointed to the Arsenal game

Dean is useless but hes normally worse for Arsenal than he is for us.

I'm flip flopping between the team on Wednesday, I want changes see hwat the guys can do but we should coast past M. tel Aviv whoever we put out.

I'd also like to see the senior guys get a win and some confidence under their belts but the majority of them deserve to be dropped after 5 terrible games so far.

I'd go with
    Begovic,
    Azp, Cahill, Zouma, Rahman
    Matic, RLC
    Willian, Oscar, Kenedy
    Falcao

Rest Pedro and drop the rest.

I'm flip flopping between the team on Wednesday, I want changes see hwat the guys can do but we should coast past M. tel Aviv whoever we put out.

I'd also like to see the senior guys get a win and some confidence under their belts but the majority of them deserve to be dropped after 5 terrible games so far.

I'd go with
    Begovic,
    Azp, Cahill, Zouma, Rahman
    Matic, RLC
    Willian, Oscar, Kenedy
    Falcao

Rest Pedro and drop the rest.

This article reckons. Traore is going to play at some stage

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/chelsea-ready-to-test-traore-in-champions-league

This article reckons. Traore is going to play at some stage

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/chelsea-ready-to-test-traore-in-champions-league

Probably like Loftus Cheek last year, he'll get 15mins at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Moses playing really well for West Ham.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »

Seen he came off late. How he do for the 80 odd minutes?

Johner wrote: »

Our best player by a country mile pre season go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Is our CL game tomorrow nite being shown on any tv channel

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Is our CL game tomorrow nite being shown on any tv channel

BT sport

BT sport

Balls

• Advertisement

Our best player by a country mile pre season go figure.

We should have seen the writing on the wall for this terrible start when he was the only stand out performer. :eek: :pac:

Balls

RTE 2 are showing Dinamo Zagreb v Arsenal

RTE 2 are showing Dinamo Zagreb v Arsenal

Can I not press the red button on sky and get the match choice no?

Can I not press the red button on sky and get the match choice no?

sky don't have the rights , you need a separate setanta subscription

quite possibly the worst article on chelsea ever, no basis of fact

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/chelsea-ban-banter-and-deny-costa-terry-bust-up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

The thing about Jose is hes one of the best managers in the world.

IF your team are playing shite you would prey you could sign Jose to turn it around.

When he is already your manager and you're playing shite i really dont know wtf you're going to do.

Ya, the Champions League is on BT/Setanta for the next 3 years at least, they won the rights from Sky.

hence why Sky arent mentioning anything about the UCL at all :pac:

quite possibly the worst article on chelsea ever, no basis of fact

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/chelsea-ban-banter-and-deny-costa-terry-bust-up

Early season conjecture, its great craic altogether.

Early season conjecture, its great craic altogether.

a banter ban

Ya, the Champions League is on BT/Setanta for the next 3 years at least, they won the rights from Sky.

hence why Sky arent mentioning anything about the UCL at all :pac:

but somehow my bill went up

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement