Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Install Electric Cooker Legal?

Options
  • 12-02-2015 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I got a new electic cooker from Currys to replace my old one. Recently got the house rewired and they also re wired the connection that my cooker goes on. Im wondering is it legal to install the electric cooker yourself? My dad knows how to do it as done the original. Would this void house insurance do ya think? I will contact them just in case but just trying to get a feel of what the usual situation is.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Since the 1st of October 2013 it has been illegal for a non-Registered Electrical Contractor to carry out most electrical work in domestic premises. Refer to the Restricted Works Decision Paper published by the Commission of Energy Regulation (CER). As detailed in the above document “Minor electrical works” are exempt from this legislation.

The work that you have described would be considered as “Minor electrical works”, so legally you can proceed. However it should be stressed that this work should only be carried out by a competent person.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Hey 2011. I appreciate the reply. Thanks very much.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

richy wrote: »
    Hey 2011. I appreciate the reply. Thanks very much.

No bother.

Advertisement