Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Free up space on iphone

• 12-02-2015 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

As the title suggests, how can I free up space on my iphone? I don't have enough to update to ios8. I also don't have access to the computer my itunes is on right now, it's on my Mams PC I could use it if needed just not to hand.

So I bought more storage on icloud (it's showing as 14g available) but it's a bit confusing- my phone is showing 568 pics are stored to my icloud stream but there are 1000+ pics on my phones photo stream. I'm reluctant to delete these pics off photo stream as they are the only pics of my 8 month old since birth. Can I back up all my pics to my icloud? Will they be permanently stored on there? I've gone into settings and backed up pics and contacts but the icloud stream still only says 568.

I don't have much music on my phone or apps that are using a lot of storage so I think it's pictures, I reckon if I could delete a lot of those id free up space but as I said I don't want to lose them.

Apologies in advance if this is a pretty silly question but I'm finding the icloud a bit mind boggling. How do I view photos on icloud?? I'm generally fine with technology but can't get my head around this at all, I've read Wikipedia's explanation for icloud but I'm still confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

happypants wrote: »
    As the title suggests, how can I free up space on my iphone? I don't have enough to update to ios8. I also don't have access to the computer my itunes is on right now, it's on my Mams PC I could use it if needed just not to hand.

So I bought more storage on icloud (it's showing as 14g available) but it's a bit confusing- my phone is showing 568 pics are stored to my icloud stream but there are 1000+ pics on my phones photo stream. I'm reluctant to delete these pics off photo stream as they are the only pics of my 8 month old since birth. Can I back up all my pics to my icloud? Will they be permanently stored on there? I've gone into settings and backed up pics and contacts but the icloud stream still only says 568.

I don't have much music on my phone or apps that are using a lot of storage so I think it's pictures, I reckon if I could delete a lot of those id free up space but as I said I don't want to lose them.

Apologies in advance if this is a pretty silly question but I'm finding the icloud a bit mind boggling. How do I view photos on icloud?? I'm generally fine with technology but can't get my head around this at all, I've read Wikipedia's explanation for icloud but I'm still confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What you could try is back-up the pictures on Dropbox or another similar app before deleting from your iphone just to make sure you don't loose any, the back-up will take a few hours been so many pictures, also dropbox might not have space with the initial €2 to store all pictures but you could try the referral process that gives you extra 500mb for each person that register using your link but they need to downloads the software on their PC to but it will be better to buy the extra referral space on ebay for about €3, that will give you 16GB.

if you have access to another pc you could connect your iphone to it, go to My Computer, you should see your phone there, copy and paste folders from the Iphone to the PC. After you can delete the pictures from there too so no need to delete 1 picture at the time via the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

You can also try a utility like Phoneclean; IOS tends to leave a lot of spurious files in memory; all of the "other" that comes up when you connect your device to iTunes. My Last iPhone was a 16Gb IPhone 4 and I found I was always short on space; I could get up to 500Mb back by using the utility. (My new iPhone has 64Gb so I don't have that problem yet :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

The new photo storage app from Dropbox "Carousel" is pretty good. Frees up storage on your phone and keeps everything organized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

colmulhall wrote: »
    The new photo storage app from Dropbox "Carousel" is pretty good. Frees up storage on your phone and keeps everything organized.

Agree I use it, works good freed up a lot of space on my phone too.

Advertisement