Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The South Korean Fake Banking App Scam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Didn't read the full report but there a fairly nice, readable write up from previous attacks here:
    https://www.fireeye.com/blog/threat-research/2014/07/the-service-you-cant-refuse-a-secluded-hijackrat.html

Basically the banks require you have AV installed on your device. The malware disables the AV before making changes to avoid detection.

There's a possibility we might have something like this here at some stage but it makes more sense to target other areas.

Off the top of my head:
    - South Korea has a larger population/target market
    - Home of Samsung = lots of Android devices to exploit. I'd guesstimate Ireland is closer to 60:40 Android:iOS
    - (Personal Theory) More people have rooted phones and are more into mobile gaming/entertainment - More likely to download "free" versions of apps - might be some restriction on apps available on Google Play. They download files from 3rd party sites etc. so easier to infect devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Didn't read the full report but there a fairly nice, readable write up from previous attacks here:
    https://www.fireeye.com/blog/threat-research/2014/07/the-service-you-cant-refuse-a-secluded-hijackrat.html

Basically the banks require you have AV installed on your device. The malware disables the AV before making changes to avoid detection.

There's a possibility we might have something like this here at some stage but it makes more sense to target other areas.

Off the top of my head:
    - South Korea has a larger population/target market
    - Home of Samsung = lots of Android devices to exploit. I'd guesstimate Ireland is closer to 60:40 Android:iOS
    - (Personal Theory) More people have rooted phones and are more into mobile gaming/entertainment - More likely to download "free" versions of apps - might be some restriction on apps available on Google Play. They download files from 3rd party sites etc. so easier to infect devices.

Installed Mobile security app and I'm clean . yes I can see the free app avenue being the best avenue of attack in this regard.

Advertisement