Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - looking for cosy pub for Sat afternoon

• 12-02-2015 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭

I will have an hour to kill in Mullingar on Sat afternoon.

I know the layout of the town, but I don't know the pubs.

I'm looking for a cosy pub in which to have a pint while I wait.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    • Max 5 mins walk off main street (Austin Friars / Pearse / Oliver Plunkett / Dominick / Patrick streets)
    • Not a hotel bar
    • Not a TV full of screens / sports
    • More like an older pub with snugs
    • Maybe what people might call an "old man's pub", but with a touch of class

Something like Garavan's / Murphy's / Freeney's in Galway city

Or like Maguires / Sean's / the Castle in Athlone

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

Nobody answered your thread, so I'll help even though it's been a while since I was out in Mullingar.

Canton Casey's (just down from the Joe Dolan statue) is the default traditional pub in Mullingar.

Since it's a rugby Saturday it may be difficult to find one not showing sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Wallace's might be a better bet with the rugby on - quieter than Canton's I would say.

Wallace's has an old man's pub feel - quiet during the week but with a trendy crowd on the busier nights. Good pint.

Just off the main street on Mount Street - round the corner from Canton's/Joe Dolan statue/Market Square - Mount street runs from the Market Square towards the County Council bulidings.

www.pubsdirect.ie/wallacesbar

Advertisement