Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norseman 2015

Options
  • 12-02-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Entry list here - Interesting age profile (still loads of time to get around to it..;)) - One Cork lad, one from Newry and a Dublin-based Pole..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it's only when you see the list laid out like that you get a feeling for how hard this is to get into

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

mossym wrote: »
    it's only when you see the list laid out like that you get a feeling for how hard this is to get into

150 foreign places for what has become one of the iconic bucket list races. I think i have more chance of winning euromillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »
    150 foreign places for what has become one of the iconic bucket list races. I think i have more chance of winning euromillions.

all races should start with a jump from a boat into pitch black water at night in the cold. *may* help with "I cannot swim but want to do the race in 6 months time"

tunney wrote: »
    all races should start with a jump from a boat into pitch black water at night in the cold. *may* help with "I cannot swim but want to do the race in 6 months time"

Pretty sure theyve already softened that cough and you can, if you choose, walk down steps. Sorry :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Pretty sure theyve already softened that cough and you can, if you choose, walk down steps. Sorry :)

Next they will be shortening the swim and supplying swim noodles for those that are feeling insecure (like they are in Dublin 70.30)

• Advertisement

will leave this here. but i'm searching for something else so may be back

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2015/02/05/midmar-s-big-swim-gets-floats

will leave this here. but i'm searching for something else so may be back

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2015/02/05/midmar-s-big-swim-gets-floats
    I hate the trend of nannying. You should be held responsible for your own safety. Anyone CAN'T do it. Only those who train adequately.

the other thing i was looking for was a video, which i thought was from the escape from alcatraz tri, which showed two people doing the swim with the noodles tunney references above. while i can find clips which i think are from the same video, i can't find the bit with the noodles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

the other thing i was looking for was a video, which i thought was from the escape from alcatraz tri, which showed two people doing the swim with the noodles tunney references above. while i can find clips which i think are from the same video, i can't find the bit with the noodles

NY 2011

well done Kurt, that's why i couldn't find it, had the wrong race. i thought it was from the same day as this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

A current and a noodle? Happy days, ah those noodles are the BOMB!
    Can you use more than one of them, one strapped to each leg would add fierce buoyancy altogether..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

well done Kurt, that's why i couldn't find it, had the wrong race. i thought it was from the same day as this:

Loneswimmer has a good discussion of that swim on his blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That counts as 'tough conditions' - seriously?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    That counts as 'tough conditions' - seriously?

having lived quite close to there:

even though it's california, it nor cal, and the water temp is probably 10C on a very good day.
    it's the middle of great white shark territory, which freaks out people completely
    it has one of the most unique current models in the world. they have built a huge scale model of the area to try and understand the currents, it's one of the reasons alcatraz was deemed unescapable, the currents were so bad.

it's a tough swim on a nice day, on a choppy day i can see how it would be considered tough. put it this way, i'd wager that swim would be cancelled in ireland given the temp

all that said i agree with you, it doesn't look that rough. i'm sure the guys that prepared well got through it just fine

having lived quite close to there:

even though it's california, it nor cal, and the water temp is probably 10C on a very good day.
    it's the middle of great white shark territory, which freaks out people completely
    it has one of the most unique current models in the world. they have built a huge scale model of the area to try and understand the currents, it's one of the reasons alcatraz was deemed unescapable, the currents were so bad.

it's a tough swim on a nice day, on a choppy day i can see how it would be considered tough. put it this way, i'd wager that swim would be cancelled in ireland given the temp

all that said i agree with you, it doesn't look that rough. i'm sure the guys that prepared well got through it just fine

One man did escape (albeit got caught on mainland)

going off topic, but a highly recommended trip if anyone in that area. get the guided audio tour. brought numerous friends/family there and all rated it as one of the best things they did on vacation

Advertisement