Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical / 3G control /heating

Options
  • 12-02-2015 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Not sure if correct forum pls remove mods thank you , if not.
    I have recently got the fast reliable I mean reliable Internet BB to house
    I just wondered is it possible to set up an app/or whatever to turn on heating.
    Have modern controls and bolier , and maybe a light through smart phone app.

Thank you
    Edit just reading about climote , that's what I'm looking for but without the further yearly subscription seems crazy money just to switch heat on and off. Any advice appreciated

Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I use a thing called lightwaverf to do that. I setup heating, a couple of lights, and some sockets on it, to control using the phone app for the system. Control from anywhere.

Easy to setup timers etc on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Bruthal wrote: »
    I use a thing called lightwaverf to do that. I setup heating, a couple of lights, and some sockets on it, to control using the phone app for the system. Control from anywhere.

Easy to setup timers etc on it as well.

Cool thks for reply that is exactly what I'm looking for. Was it expensive? Have you a link? My just saw website that's fab! You say you have heating on it. I wonder is it like the sockets you can just retrofit a couple ? I have a heating control beside boiler in kitchen .. Is it just a case of direct swop? Had you any issues or problems setting that up in particular many thks paddy

Link

The wifi link (second in list) is the main device which links phone to system via the router it will be plugged into.

I used the inline relay (8th in list) to control heating, by adding it into the heating control loop.

On page 2 there is an energy monitor which I have setup in the system also, I use that to show me that items I switched on have actually come on, as the wattage shows up on the phone screen energy display part of the app.

Thks is there a fee to use it? Where did you buy it? Can you say rough ish price for sockets / inline relay ...did you fit in line relay yourself? I have a feed I think it is anyway beside the boiler control switch it might be handy to fit.. Ta

No fee to use.

I connected the relay myself, but I have experienced in such matters, which would be recommended. If you dont know what you are at with heating wiring, best to get someone to do that part.

Those relays are actually designed for controlling curtains or similar, so they have 2 way switching + off. So one relay could do 2 zones, if a person knew what they were at.

Prices are on that site, although in sterling. I got them in maplin myself.

They are available on amazon as well.

• Advertisement

Sound. Thank you. Just reading mixed reviews Amazon. Happy you are happy with heating works ok that's the main thing.
    Cheers

Sound. Thank you. Just reading mixed reviews Amazon. Happy you are happy with heating works ok that's the main thing.
    Cheers

The heating controls apparently causing some grief.

I wont be using them as the relay does the job fine. Never any problem with relays, light dimmers, or sockets.

The heating controls apparently causing some grief.

I wont be using them as the relay does the job fine. Never any problem with relays, light dimmers, or sockets.

Cool if the relay can switch two zones ch & hw that will do. I presume it's only a matter of wiring the switch wires to the relevant outputs of relay from heating control ( think I have an old wiring diagram round somewhere ) Cheers ps! Can you offer advice on correct wiring if one required it!?

Cool if the relay can switch two zones ch & hw that will do. I presume it's only a matter of wiring the switch wires to the relevant outputs of relay from heating control ( think I have an old wiring diagram round somewhere ) Cheers ps! Can you offer advice on correct wiring if one required it!?

Actually it would be better to get a relay for each zone if you want to be able to switch them on and off independently from the phone.

As for wiring, im sure I could.

Is there a 2 channel timer on the heating?

I dont bother with the timer now, I just program in timers with the app.

But the relays could be used to switch in parallel with the existing timer channels if keeping the existing clock was preferred.

Actually it would be better to get a relay for each zone if you want to be able to switch them on and off independently from the phone.

As for wiring, im sure I could.

Is there a 2 channel timer on the heating?

I dont bother with the timer now, I just program in timers with the app.

But the relays could be used to switch in parallel with the existing timer channels if keeping the existing clock was preferred.

Ya I think I would do as you do now. Use app altogether instead of timer . Yap I can switch heat and or water independent or together. 2 relays would be ideal as I set hot water at weekends only and hot water and heat weekday mornings. Appreciate that you may be able to offer wiring advice if I got bogged down cheers paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Depending on how the heating system is wired, u may need two separate relays rather than one box with 2 relays.
    I built my own control System for a 4 zone system 10 years ago and I had to use 11 pin relays to cut both live and neutral on each zone, the first relays were 9 pin, not cutting the neutral so all zones came on if one zone was turned on.
    Just a thought.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrWatt

I've said it to climote from day one about the sim card and subscription. No need for it. They should have had used WiFi.

The nest is by far the best out there. It has all the bells and whistles but the best one is it runs itself. No need to even worry about timing or even switching on. PM me if you have any questions because its not suitable for every situation.

The next ..had you a link to this please. I really only want really to be able to turn the lights on and off occasionally. All I need is a simple relay to turn the boiler on and off. Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

.......I really only want really to be able to turn the lights on and off occasionally. All I need is a simple relay to turn the boiler on and off. Thks
    Then consider a GSM relay, you can, I believe, get up to 7 controls on one SIM.
    This link from fleabay is just the idea
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/7-Switch-GSM-Remote-Control-Relay-Quad-Band-/200525147857

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MrWatt

The next ..had you a link to this please. I really only want really to be able to turn the lights on and off occasionally. All I need is a simple relay to turn the boiler on and off. Thks

Am I allowed post a link? It's really only suitable for your heating. As for the light you could use a separate app for that.

MrWatt wrote: »
    Am I allowed post a link? It's really only suitable for your heating. As for the light you could use a separate app for that.

Ah sound thks one app will do! Cheers

Ah sound thks one app will do! Cheers

I have this control for heat ..... Anyone used the lightrf system control with one of these / danfoss ... Two switch wires if that's correct terminology ... One ch and one hw... Doesn't bother me really about being able to switch both on ....just central heating I'm thinking ... To be able to have house warm when in way home out of routine thks

Advertisement