Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colonoscopie. What to expect

• 12-02-2015 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi all Ive been called for my first colonoscopy in CUH. They are checking to see if I have Chrones or Bowel Cancer 😳. I'm a bad patient and have been reading horrible reviews. Are they sore and am I put asleep x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have had two. For the first one, I was put under so don't remember it. That actually sucked because I woke up all groggy.

The second time I was awake. They just gave me some sort of pain killer but I was awake and watched what they were doing on the screen. It was uncomfortable but that's about it. I actually thought it was fun watching it on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I had one myself. Was put under for it and was not a bother. Once I fell asleep, next thing i knew, I was awake in a room and after 30 mins or so was ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

I had a relatively bad experience (won't scare you with details!) but even then it wasn't too bad overall.
    For a lot of people the prep the day before is the worst part. I still shudder when I think of all that Klean Prep....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have had both ends done on different occasions. Got knocked out both. Are have to say there is nothing to it. Got wheeled in. Asked a few q's and woke up to breakfast.
    Get it done. And don't worry about the proceedure concentrate on your health.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's absolutely fine. The prep the day before is te worst part, but that's just diarrhoea that doesn't really hurt for a few hours.

I was under deep sedation for the colonscopy itself, I think everyone is these days.

No matter how bad you think it might be, it's no bowel cancer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The day before is the worst part. I was out cold for the proceedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

The Clean Prep stuff is evil but the procedure is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Hi all Ive been called for my first colonoscopy in CUH. They are checking to see if I have Chrones or Bowel Cancer 😳. I'm a bad patient and have been reading horrible reviews. Are they sore and am I put asleep x

I have heard the procedure can be fine. No real issues apart from the liquids you ingest prior to the the procedure. Hope it all goes well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The Clean Prep stuff is evil but the procedure is fine.

Oh right, forgot about that part. Blocked it out of my memory as a bad experience.

Word of advice, don't try and make the cleanprep stuff taste better by adding blackcurrent cordial. It just makes it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Saruman wrote: »
    Oh right, forgot about that part. Blocked it out of my memory as a bad experience.

Word of advice, don't try and make the cleanprep stuff taste better by adding blackcurrent cordial. It just makes it worse.

Hold your nose and just lob it into your mouth.

....that's what she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

Brian? wrote: »
    I was under deep sedation for the colonscopy itself, I think everyone is these days.

Unfortunately not the case - depends on the hospital. I saw/felt/remember far more than I bargained for... :eek:
    (But it was still OK and wouldn't put me off having it done again)
    But completely agree - it's so worth having done to either get a diagnoses/get treatment started, or just get peace of mind if all clear.

Saruman wrote:
    Ah I'd say the opposite! Drinking 3-4L of anything that tasted the same would make me gag (especially the Klean Prep "vanilla" flavour...)
    I alternated each 250ml glass. One glass with blackcurrant/one glass with tropical, one glass with lemon cordial. And the odd plain one thrown in to mix it up a bit. Lots of ice, and a straw, also helped me a bit.

But seriously OP you'll be fine, and it's 100% worth having done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Had my second one 2 weeks ago, for both was given a sedative and a painkiller but not an anaesthetic.

Moviprep beate Kleanprep - Kleanprep is vile.

Was awake and remember procedures. Bit uncomfortable but not unbearable. Was eating a curry that night no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 laydee_g

hi everyone,

I had severe constipation and was put on Klean Prep (vile) to clear me out. The problem is im still bloated!! i look 9 month pregnant. Its been 2 days since my cleanout but still bloated, is this normal?
    thank you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

laydee_g wrote: »
    hi everyone,

I had severe constipation and was put on Klean Prep (vile) to clear me out. The problem is im still bloated!! i look 9 month pregnant. Its been 2 days since my cleanout but still bloated, is this normal?
    thank you

Sorry, but medical advice isn't allowed on the forum, you should consult your doctor

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement