Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glucosamine

• 12-02-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi can you give your dog glucosamine for humans.That is would the version we buy, be safe like the one in aldi or tesco.thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Hi, I give my 11 yr old Labx the Glucosamine & Chondroitin (combined) tablet from Tesco. I find it great.
    The tablets are a little big, but she wolfs it down with cheese. After about 3 weeks, I reduced the dose from daily to one every other day, as a maintenance dose. She's flaking around like a young one, it really seemed to improve her stiffness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

A combined glucosamine/chondroitin/manganese supplement would be better. Is your dog arthritic?

You will need to calculate dosage by weight, which is given in pounds here but most Irish dog owners will know their dog's weight in kilos.

"When giving glucosamine and chondroitin for arthritis, start out at high doses: at least 500 mg glucosamine plus 400 mg chondroitin daily for a small dog (up to 25 lbs), 1000/800 mg for a medium-sized dog (25 to 50 lbs), 1500/1200 mg for a large dog (50 to 100 lbs), and 2000/1600 mg for dogs over 100 lbs. If you see improvement, you can try backing off to a smaller dosage. Some dogs do well on less, some need the higher amount to get relief. If you don't see any improvement in four weeks, try a different brand. Different dogs seem to respond better to different brands. Glucosamine/chondroitin can be given with food.

There are many arguments about which form of Glucosamine is best. I have yet to see anything I find convincing, as most of the arguments are made by commercial companies in support of their own products. However, if giving Glucosamine HCl, it should always be combined with Chondroitin Sulfate for better uptake, whereas Glucosamine Sulfate can be given alone. It is best if supplements also include Manganese, which can help increase absorption."

http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html#glucosamine

Advertisement