Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour of Flanders Sportive - What Tyres

• 12-02-2015 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭

When I tell people i'm signed up for the Flanders sportive...the first thing they ask me is "What tyres are you using?". I have continental GP 4000 S 23c's on the bike at the moment.

Well..what tyres should I be using?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

We spent a bomb on ZX Aquas going over. Total waste, as it didn't rain. Maybe get 25s, otherwise good puncture protection is only need. I was only one to get puncture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

07Lapierre wrote: »

Over thinking it, the cobbles aren't like pavé. Any beater tyre will do.

• Advertisement

I'm inclined to agree with you...I might change to conti 25's just for the added comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Harry could be right, nice tyre though.

Have one in 24 I won't use again if you want me to post it just pm your address. Eady way to try them

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

19mm tubs pumped up to 200psi - you'll be grand ....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

the cobbles in flanders aren't too bad. I used schwalbe marathon 700*25 the past two years and Ill use them again.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Harry could be right, nice tyre though.

Have one in 24 I won't use again if you want me to post it just pm your address. Eady way to try them

Appreciate the offer, but your OK I have 25's on another bike so I know what there like. The 23's on the bike I intend using in April need to be changed soon, so that's why I was asking about tyres.. I'll just get a new set of conti 25's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

A quick scout of the tech reviews from previous editions of Flanders shows that the pros invariably ride 25mm tubs; I will be riding clincher versions, maybe conti 4 seasons if some wild weather is forecast. I'm more concerned with pushing 36x25 on the Koppenberg after near 200km... !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I'll be using 28mm Specialized Roubaix Pros. Use them here anyway as don't always like sticking to sealed roads. The S-Works Turbos work very well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I used 25s on Flanders. Top tip: don't stand when climbing wet cobbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭QueensGael

JK.BMC wrote: »
    I'm more concerned with pushing 36x25 on the Koppenberg after near 200km... !

Expect it to be a mess, people doing the 3-second track stand and then falling over :p There's not much room to manoeuvre there at all!

25mm should be grand, I used Conti GP 4000 24mm for it a few years ago.

Word of warning, the food stops are a bit rubbish, and hard to find a Spar or similar in those parts - recommend bringing plenty of Mars bars or your fuel of choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I thought the food stops were fine when I did it. Also, frame pumps, bike computers, bottle cages, bidons... all go flying when you hit the cobbles.

WTF, food stops were excellent when I did it about 5 years ago. Maybe things changed.

Bring allen keys, my bottle cage started to come loose.

I was kncocked off on Koppenberg and caught by someone else. Walked a bit, grabbed a fence and started again ok, it was the only way to do it tbh. Hit the climbs relatively hard and scream "mittel frei" for your life the whole way up.

For those who are doing it, others may not agree, ut I wouldn't bother going for the full distance one. There's nothing interesting going on for the first half, then you hit all the climbs with 100+ in your legs and it takes a lot of the fun out of it.

WTF, food stops were excellent when I did it about 5 years ago. Maybe things changed.

Bring allen keys, my bottle cage started to come loose.

I was kncocked off on Koppenberg and caught by someone else. Walked a bit, grabbed a fence and started again ok, it was the only way to do it tbh. Hit the climbs relatively hard and scream "mittel frei" for your life the whole way up.

For those who are doing it, others may not agree, ut I wouldn't bother going for the full distance one. There's nothing interesting going on for the first half, then you hit all the climbs with 100+ in your legs and it takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Agree...we're signed up for the 133k route.

I did it in 2013, and the food stops had these waffle/wafer things with packets of honey, I found them sickly sweet. They had a few bananas too, but no hot drinks,no sanggiches, no cake - you'd have a better feed on the Tour de Burren or the Orwell Randonne! Overall though, it's a great event, well worth doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

2 friends did it last year on Conti GP 4000's (25's). One had several punctures (but he seems to puncture regularly anyway!).

Agree...we're signed up for the 133k route.

Me too.

• Advertisement

QueensGael wrote: »
    I did it in 2013, and the food stops had these waffle/wafer things with packets of honey, I found them sickly sweet. They had a few bananas too, but no hot drinks,no sanggiches, no cake - you'd have a better feed on the Tour de Burren or the Orwell Randonne! Overall though, it's a great event, well worth doing!

You need to go to an Italian sportive - you get spoiled at those. Iced coffee was a welcome treat on a 30C day.

On a similar topic, I've signed up for LBL in April. Has anyone here done it before and would they recommend any particular tyres. (I'll probably default to Gatorskins as I seemed to be jinxed when using GP 4000's).

(Apologies A for hijacking your thread.)

Nameless Phil did LBL last year IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

nak wrote: »
    Me too.

And me :-)

Foodstops in 2013 were rubbish alright. I'm bringing my own sambos :-)

On a similar topic, I've signed up for LBL in April. Has anyone here done it before and would they recommend any particular tyres. (I'll probably default to Gatorskins as I seemed to be jinxed when using GP 4000's).

(Apologies A for hijacking your thread.)

No worries, is the LBL not a bit short for you? Its only 279K! :D

No worries, is the LBL not a bit short for you? Its only 279K! :D
    .....the distance doesn't bother me, it's the 4,500m of climbing that looks daunting! :eek:

Advertisement