Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straight outta Compton

• 12-02-2015 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Going by the trailer this looks kind of good, a hip hop biopic which chronicles the NWA rise to fame in the mid 1980s with the events of the Rodney King beating taking place at one of the most dangerous times in L.A's history.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

That is an impressive trailer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I wouldn't be a fan of the people involved or the music, but that actually looks like it'll be a pretty good watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Rodney King was murdered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ipso wrote: »

Yeah, finished the job didn't they.

Mofos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

When's it out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

humanji wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't be a fan of the people involved or the music, but that actually looks like it'll be a pretty good watch.

I like the nwa music, its proper hip hop and not the watered down ****e were fed today. I like ice cube but never had time for easy e always seemed like a thug to me. Also if I remember correctly Dr dre beat the **** out of a female presenter backstage at an award ceremony in the early 90s.

Anyway trailer looks fantastic I will be going to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PhineasPhreak

Really looking forward to this. Big fan of NWA's 'Straight Outta Compton' - one of the greatest album's of all time in my opinion.

Excellent trailer! Really looking forward to it.

It's not out until August though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

efil4zaggin

the last decent rap album, i hate all rap music now except that and what was before it.

Movie looks awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

ricero wrote: »
    I like the nwa music, its proper hip hop and not the watered down ****e were fed today. I like ice cube but never had time for easy e always seemed like a thug to me. Also if I remember correctly Dr dre beat the **** out of a female presenter backstage at an award ceremony in the early 90s.

Anyway trailer looks fantastic I will be going to see it.

Of course Easy E was a thug!!! The music and lifestyle is based on ThugLife .......... NWA as a band and album was funded by drug money ......... no Easy E, no NWA.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »

By water??? He was found drowned in his swimming pool after an alcohol, marijuana, cocaine and pcp binge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    efil4zaggin

the last decent rap album, i hate all rap music now except that and what was before it.

Movie looks awesome.

You missing out on a lot of amazing hip hop with that outlook.

Going by the trailer this looks kind of good, a hip hop biopic which chronicles the NWA rise to fame in the mid 1980s with the events of the Rodney King beating taking place at one of the most dangerous times in L.A's history.

That really takes me back to my early teen years ......... thought I was an OG for a couple of years after listening to NWA, Ice-T and later on Snoop Dogg, Tupac etc.!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Of course Easy E was a thug!!! The music and lifestyle is based on ThugLife .......... NWA as a band and album was funded by drug money ......... no Easy E, no NWA.

First of all it's Eazy E

Second of all Thug Life was a Tupac idea, not NWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Thug Life wasn't an idea, it was a "band" or supergroup of MC's, Tupac was one of the members, think it was Pac, Stretch, Kato, the Rated R and a few others....

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    First of all it's Eazy E

First of all ........... relax with the Grammar Nazism, take it eazzzzy. :p

Second of all, I'm fully aware that Tupac Amaru Shakur (is "2pac" acceptable? :rolleyes:) coined the phrase "ThugLife" (he had it tattooed on his abdomen ffs!) and made it famous, however I was referring to "ThugLife" as a recognisable phrase used in Gangster (excuse me, "Gangsta") Rap and Gang Culture ( to describe the lifestyle of Mr. E before and during his rise to fame ........ that ok Cuz? :rolleyes:

Fieldog wrote: »
    Thug Life wasn't an idea, it was a "band" or supergroup of MC's, Tupac was one of the members, think it was Pac, Stretch, Kato, the Rated R and a few others....

You're right ....... T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E ("The Hate U Give Little Infants F***s Everyone") was a group founded by 2Pac with Mopreme, Macadoshis, Big Syke and The Rated R ........... the codes set down by "ThugLife" were later used on the streets during the Bloods/Crips truce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Well that was motherf*cking tremendous.

N*gga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Saw it last week. A tremendous film. Probably the best biopic I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

ricero wrote: »
    Saw it last week. A tremendous film. Probably the best biopic I have ever seen.

Better than "Control" about Ian Curtis?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Watched this tonight, it is absolutely fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anybody with even just a passing interest in proper rap/hip hop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

Just seen it - Left out a lot of stuff in it such as the diss songs.

Never said that Eazy E recieved a good percentage of what Dre released to get out of contract as Suge beating Eazy didn't get him out of contract.

Film never mentioned that Dre used to wear lipstick and dress like a women lol!

Still pretty awesome for people who like hip hop and how corrupt the cops were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

No "Dre Day" either. Only diss song was Ice Cube's. I thought it was an okay film, at best, but it's far from a great biopic tbf. Jason Mitchell who played Eazy E was exceptional though. Hopefully he win some awards for that performance. Look forward for sure to seeing more from him.

Eazy's daughter is making a documentary about his life. Should be interesting considering the views of people closest to him:
    iamyungeazy I've been known my pops was killed. His death never added up 2 what ppl have always said maybe they think we're idiots blind to the truth idk....but 4 u new fans, youngsters & ppl who just don't know much notice in #StraightOuttaCompton Eazy did not get sick until after the studio incident with suge and look how he acknowledged & admits on this interview with #JimmyKimmel injecting ppl instead of shooting them is a new thing that's done. the truth is out there its just blinded by the fact that Eric had alot of sex #FreeYourMind #RipEazyE #EazyE #****SugeKnight

Good flick. Would disagree with the above on the actor playing Eazy-E though, didn't really make me feel like he was the real Eazy, a bit on the soft side. Some of his acting I thought was a bit hammy too when he was getting sick etc, very forced. But thats nitpicking at the same time.

Had a feeling this was gonna be a Dre and Cube vehicle but it wasn't, it was pretty real.

Giamati may well be the best actor of the last 10 years, everything he is in he is just superb.
    These guys really were the best, Rap doesn't seem real anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

These guys really were the best, Rap doesn't seem real anymore

That's because it's not, it's an embarrassment nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I'm not aiming this at you specifically, but some people just don't seem to understand that hip hop isn't one single thing.

Hip hop, taken generally, is alive and well and there's no shortage of quality albums. It's just that the most critically-lauded artists don't break through as they once did.

In the early to mid 90s the best albums were also the most commercially successful. That day is gone. There are some exceptions, like Kendrick Lamar, who (while you may or may not like him) is certainly not an embarrassment.

There are so many unique movements and sub-genres that have really pushed the 'genre' forward. The instrumental and experimental scene, occupied by people like Flying Lotus, is incredibly vibrant and, thankfully, it's actually making it into the mainstream (albeit in a somewhat watered down form) via albums like Lamar's latest.

So yes, the big, loud, ugly hip hop that we hear these days, most especially in its mutant EDM form, is a total embarrassment. But genuine hip hop, in the spirit of all of those great albums that we know and love, is still delivering and evolving.

Personally, I don't think 90s hip hop will ever be topped, and I also think the same about 90s house. The mistake, however, would be hearing 'deep house' on the radio, or watching Kanye at Glastonbury, and thinking that that's all there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

2 words - Kendrick Lamar.

Thought Straight Outta Compton was very good. Looked to be quite sanitised in many scenes - was expecting to see a much grittier movie. But definitely a 4 star yarn. The acting was excellent too and some genuinely funny moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Brilliant from start to finish. Great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

How much of a role has The DOC got in it?

I'm looking forward to seeing this. It definitely seems like a film you can only really see in the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Really enjoyed this,I'll admit that I'm old enough to have gotten the album when it first came out.
    Not as gritty as it could have been but I'm sure Dre wasn't going to allow certain things to appear in the movie,despite that there were some great performances and it was nice to see a young Snoop and Tupac make an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it tonight and I thought it was OK. I think biopics in general make bad movies, so this would one of the better ones. I can't help but feel though that this would've made an exceptional documentary as opposed to a feature film.
    The first 45 minutes was really good, but then it kind of desended into a caper movie that went nowhere really.
    Like I said it's an ok movie but a documentary would've done the job a lot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Great biopic. I was too young to know what and who NWA were at the time. I was born in 1991 but loved their music when I was a teenager so i knew the story before it unfolded etc due to documentaries and the stories in their songs.

Dr.Dre hasn't beaten any women up in the movie..hmm :cool:

Thoroughly enjoyable movie for fans of the group and people who just like a good ole biopic.

I read a kind of sequal is being talk about about Dr. Dre and when snoop dogg rise to fame came..I assume Eminem would feature too. I'd love if this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

As a big NWA fan, thought it was dirt, typical hollywood cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

As I said in my post,Dre and a couple more who were involved with NWA had a hand in this movie so a lot of stuff was glossed over so as not to portray them in too negative a light.There could/should have been a few scenes of domestic abuse etc. but now that Dre is such a big shot in business he wanted to keep his image clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I'm not a fan, but I quite enjoyed it.

What exactly made it 'dirt'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I'm not a fan, but I quite enjoyed it.

What exactly made it 'dirt'?

One of the most cheesiest films i've seen. You could tell Dr.Dre had a big influence, seemed to be the Dr.Dre film for the most part, didnt touch on Mc.Ren at all, some of the cast was ridiculous as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

If you know the story of NWA you could tell Dre had a big influence in making himself look as clean as possible in this film.

Besides that I thought it was decent, even if a bit biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

Watched it on Friday night there and still enjoyed it! A couple things that bothered me but I understand they will stick fictional things into the movie to make it better! I don't think eazy-E and dre ever had that phone call a week before he died,they never got to speak before it and that haunted dre and also they had tupac in 1993 in the death row studio recording when tupac didn't sign for death row until 1995,but I think they just wanted to get tupac into the film!
    Off topic here but a couple great books to read if anyone is interested in the death row situation and biggie ,tupac murders is "LAbyrinth" and "murder rap" 2 brilliant books and will open your eyes to the corruption of the LAPD and the cops David mack and Raphael Perez's involvement in biggies murder! Crazy!!

Watched it on Friday night there and still enjoyed it! A couple things that bothered me but I understand they will stick fictional things into the movie to make it better! I don't think eazy-E and dre ever had that phone call a week before he died,they never got to speak before it and that haunted dre and also they had tupac in 1993 in the death row studio recording when tupac didn't sign for death row until 1995,but I think they just wanted to get tupac into the film!
    Off topic here but a couple great books to read if anyone is interested in the death row situation and biggie ,tupac murders is "LAbyrinth" and "murder rap" 2 brilliant books and will open your eyes to the corruption of the LAPD and the cops David mack and Raphael Perez's involvement in biggies murder! Crazy!!

Did Dr. Dre and Ice Cube really make things right with Eazy-E just before Eazy's death from AIDS?
    Yes, and it played out much like it does in the movie. "I was so fortunate to be able to get on the phone with him and talk about maybe putting N.W.A back together," says Dre, "and we chopped it up about old times and what have you and maybe not even two weeks after that, he was in the hospital." Dr. Dre visited him in the hospital, but by that time Eazy was on life support and didn't know Dre was in the room. Dre just leaned over and whispered a few words in his ear. A day or two later, Eazy was gone. -RollingStone.com

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/straight-outta-compton/

Falf wrote:
    Let's get this on, can anyone tell me where to get the best bag of chips in Galway, I think, although its a tad bit outside Galway would be nico's in cleargalway after that I would have to say mc donnagh's on quey street, what do ye think???

MadDog76 wrote:
    Did Dr. Dre and Ice Cube really make things right with Eazy-E just before Eazy's death from AIDS? Yes, and it played out much like it does in the movie. "I was so fortunate to be able to get on the phone with him and talk about maybe putting N.W.A back together," says Dre, "and we chopped it up about old times and what have you and maybe not even two weeks after that, he was in the hospital." Dr. Dre visited him in the hospital, but by that time Eazy was on life support and didn't know Dre was in the room. Dre just leaned over and whispered a few words in his ear. A day or two later, Eazy was gone. -RollingStone.com

Well this is all said in an interview just before the movie release while promoting it, it is my understanding and I am big into this rap era that they didn't make it up and that was from different sources as well,but again I am not them or don't know the story to it's truest form but this being said is only recent!
    But to make a silly mistake having tupac in the death row studio in 1993 makes me think any little thing can be exaggerated just for impact on the movie! I'd like to think that they made it up or spoke soon before he died as that would give him a lot of inner peace but Hollywood movies I would take with a pinch of salt,even true stories!! I remember when the movie came out about the temptations (which I think is still the best biographical movie on a music artist/group) they stretched a lot of facts in that movie about Paul Williams,David ruffin,etc and Otis Williams was the guy involved in making the movie and him an original temptation and still to this day is!
    But again I would like to think they made it up! Great movie all the same!

• Advertisement

Well this is all said in an interview just before the movie release while promoting it, it is my understanding and I am big into this rap era that they didn't make it up and that was from different sources as well,but again I am not them or don't know the story to it's truest form but this being said is only recent!
    But to make a silly mistake having tupac in the death row studio in 1993 makes me think any little thing can be exaggerated just for impact on the movie! I'd like to think that they made it up or spoke soon before he died as that would give him a lot of inner peace but Hollywood movies I would take with a pinch of salt,even true stories!! I remember when the movie came out about the temptations (which I think is still the best biographical movie on a music artist/group) they stretched a lot of facts in that movie about Paul Williams,David ruffin,etc and Otis Williams was the guy involved in making the movie and him an original temptation and still to this day is!
    But again I would like to think they made it up! Great movie all the same!

Only Dre knows either way ......... what's with the "best chipper in Galway" stuff? :confused:

MadDog76 wrote:
    Only Dre knows either way ......... what's with the "best chipper in Galway" stuff?

MadDog76 wrote:
    Only Dre knows either way ......... what's with the "best chipper in Galway" stuff?

Hahahah I don't know! I was in a thread reading it for a second and I must of copied a post by accident but I do not know how I pasted it either so the phone must have a mind of it's own ðŸ˜

Watched it on Friday night there and still enjoyed it! A couple things that bothered me but I understand they will stick fictional things into the movie to make it better! I don't think eazy-E and dre ever had that phone call a week before he died,they never got to speak before it and that haunted dre..

Actually Dre has said that he was shooting a video and someone came up to him with a mobile phone and Eazy was on the other end and they chatted.
    .. and also they had tupac in 1993 in the death row studio recording when tupac didn't sign for death row until 1995,but I think they just wanted to get tupac into the film!

That's true. California Love wasn't recorded until after Eazy died. A good six months after.
    Tupac's opening line is actually, "Out on bail fresh outta jail.." and he was released in Oct '95.
    Easy died in March '95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Looking forward to catching this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Better than "Control" about Ian Curtis?
    yeah more guns and ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Anyone else find Jerry's performance mind boggling awful? O'Shea Jackson Jr. was outstanding playing Ice Cube. Soundtrack was brilliant just felt a narrated documentary may have served the group better from people looking from the outside in. And we got an obligatory car chase :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Anyone else find Jerry's performance mind boggling awful? O'Shea Jackson Jr. was outstanding playing Ice Cube. Soundtrack was brilliant just felt a narrated documentary may have served the group better from people looking from the outside in. And we got an obligatory car chase :p
    you can piece together the entire plotline on youtube through real footage and documentaries if you wish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Oasis1974 wrote: »

I have to agree Ice Cube Jr did a fantastic job playing his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

That's true. California Love wasn't recorded until after Eazy died. A good six months after.
    Tupac's opening line is actually, "Out on bail fresh outta jail.." and he was released in Oct '95.
    Easy died in March '95.

also Dre never played the track for Pac or so the story goes before this movie came out that Suge took the track from Dre's house after being told about it and gave it to Pac, by the time Pac signed for Death Row Dre was working on getting off the label and was planning on using it as his first post Death Row single, finally Hail Mary being from the Makaveli album would of been recorded a good while later as that album was done in something like 8 days before he died but as they say creative license and all that.

As for the movie itself I thought it was very good and no point did I think to myself this is the final third of the movie, I felt it wasn't rushed and flowed from story to story easily, a bit disappointing the fact the MC Ren was basically a mime until after Cube left the group and all of a sudden started getting lines

Also strange that there was no Nate Dogg or Warren G especially with Warren G being Dre's step brother

Finally I felt the Snoop & Dre scene was very cringe of them doing the opening lines of Nuthin' but a G Thing compared to how natural it showed Dre teaching Eazy how to rap to the beat earlier in the movie

DermoMIO wrote: »
    Also strange that there was no Nate Dogg or Warren G especially with Warren G being Dre's step brother

Finally I felt the Snoop & Dre scene was very cringe of them doing the opening lines of Nuthin' but a G Thing compared to how natural it showed Dre teaching Eazy how to rap to the beat earlier in the movie

Yeah, agree on both points. The latter was just lazy and felt shoehorned in. Be interesting to see a director's cut someday though.

Watched the following (hour long) interview with Yella earlier and I had never known that he was the only one of NWA to attended Eazy's funeral. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement