Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straight outta Compton

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Saw this tonight and, as a big fan of NWA and the Ruthless/Death Row era, I really enjoyed it. It's a great story and I'd recommend it to anyone that has an interest in the topic - even those that don't will probably like it.

Most of the flaws have been mentioned already but to be fair they're minor and they don't take anything away from the story - only those that already have a good knowledge on the story will notice. I was happy to see Tupac making a brief appearance and I'm hoping it will lead to a biopic about his career (as an aside, the resemblance between Tupac and the actor who plays him is just incredible).

CKpNIXoWEAEY52M.jpg
    Well this is all said in an interview just before the movie release while promoting it, it is my understanding and I am big into this rap era that they didn't make it up and that was from different sources as well,but again I am not them or don't know the story to it's truest form but this being said is only recent!

It's not only recent - Dre has always claimed that he and Eazy talked on the phone before he died and that he did visit him while he was in hospital. I'm not sure exactly when this interview with Dre took place but judging by his appearance it seems to be early 2000's, long before any film was in the works: https://youtu.be/lYXOAgO2U_A?t=57m20s

Anyone that has an interest in the film should have a look at this documentary, most of it is covered in the movie but it's worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Anyone else find Jerry's performance mind boggling awful? O'Shea Jackson Jr. was outstanding playing Ice Cube. Soundtrack was brilliant just felt a narrated documentary may have served the group better from people looking from the outside in. And we got an obligatory car chase :p

Yeah I was thinking the same thing myself. Paul Giamatti is usually brilliant, but his performance was, I dunno, just a bit off. The scene near the end with Eazy E in his kitchen was horrendous. I'll be honest, I didnt know it was Ice cube's son playing his father until I IMDB'd the **** out of the film after. I was thinking to myself, how the hell did they get someone who looks so much like Cube to play him? O'shea jr is brilliant though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I loved it anyway , Didn't really get into Rap until dre's 2001 album so it was great to see the story behind nwa even if some of it was wrong , loved it anyway and it would be amazing if they did a follow up about Dre and aftermath and signing Eminem that would be a dream for me as thats when i really got into the whole rap thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Watched it today, very sanitised and portrays Dre et al in a very flattering light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Pretty much agree, it was sanitised a little but when you have two of the main guys from the group producing its not too shocking. But still it was a pretty damn good watch and it goes down as one of the best ever music biopics. I'm not a massive Rap fan, I do love old school rap like NWA (Dre's and Cube's early solo stuff), Public Enemy, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest and Eric B and Rakim. When it had something and was a art before it turned into just Bitches, bling and money.

Anyway back to the film, I thought Ice Cube's son O'Shea was very good as his dad (it's scary how alike he looked like his dad especially the scenes after Ice Cube left NWA), Corey Hawkins as Dre also did some great work. But the film is stolen by Jason Mitchell as Eazy E, the scene when he
    finds out he has HIV, is heartbreaking stuff
    and anytime he's on screen he steals the film. Paul Giamati is as usual great. The Music was great (Straight outta Compton is one of the greatest debut albums ever)ad anything from Dre is great and Ice Cube early stuff is as good as anything released.

If they make any more Rap biopics I would love to see one on Public Enemy (still the best Rap act ever) and Tupac (I see this one been more likely, his life was pretty interesting too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I loved the "movie" but yeah it was obviously sanitized for the big screen. I did think to myself at the end "dre and cube came of this very well" and the the credits rolled "produced by Dr Dre and Ice Cube"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I watched this the other night and was GLUED to it til the end...the interviewer is a mad B***rd!

(it's relevant as i it felt like a sequel to Compton)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

I watched this the other night and was GLUED to it til the end...the interviewer is a mad B***rd!

This is on Netflix too. Haven't watched it yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

Im gonna watch this tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Really thought it was laughably bad.

The scene with dre and snoop dogg writing nothing but a g thang was so cringey. As was the scene with 2pac.

The guy who played dre was absolutely atrocious. Paul Giamatti was terrible too strangely.

Just so cheesy. No depth to any characters. Why were we meant to care about dre's brother? Thought all the characters were really poorly fleshed out. The tension between dre and his ma etc, just didn't seem believable.

Relied far too heavily on party scenes and the soundtrack. Would have much preferred a documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I enjoyed it and still find myself agreeing with the majority of the above.....weird.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Seen it twice (first time was in tiny screen 3 in IFI so had to watch it on big screen in Savoy 1), thought it was excellent and felt real in terms of the music and the scene at the time (which I remember well as I'm, in my 40s). Agree there was a certain level of being economical with the truth, still its a fantastically well made biopic and blows ****e like the Hendrix and James Brown ones out of the water (G). Would love to see an equally as good Public Enemy flick.

• I assume a lot of my points have been addressed I didn't read through all of the thread but here goes.
    My thoughts on the movie after watching it at the weekend;

A really enjoyable movie however some things were brushed under the carpet.

Some things I particularly enjoyed:
    1: Movie gave proper respect to "No Vaseline" the hardest diss track in history IMO
    2: Loved how they first introduced Snoop Dogg:
    When he arrived in the studio and immediate tension between Suge Knight and him was created.
    Always reminds me of this for some reason.

3: Ice Cubes son done really well in his portrayal of his father.

Some questionable items:
    1: Dr. Dre made to be a complete hero, left out the fact that he has smacked up woman in the past (I think if this would have been included it would have taken that hero feel away but doesn't change the fact that it happened)
    2: MC Ren got little or no credit when in fact he wrote a lot of Eazys rhymes and is one of most underrated members of NWA IMO. He has released some great solo work after NWA also.
    3: Completely left out the beef between Eazy and Dre (Dre Day / Sleazy E vs Real Muthaphuckkin G's) and really should have been included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Too much of a puff piece yes, but still enjoyable.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I really enjoyed the movie, the actors that came in were suberb.
    The one actor I have issue with is Paul Giamati as Jerry. He was given way too much screen time, I think it's a case of the movie being made around his character as it's a big name actor rather than focusing more other critical parts of NWA. But, he gave a great account of himself in the role.
    It was also way too fluffy in the final third, I believe that it was made to be alot more amicalble at Eazy's time of passing than it actually was. I think that is more out of respect for Eazy than anything else, but probably not accurate from what I've read and heard.
    MC Ren also didn't get much of a look in, there are also issues with the first NWA (and the posse) album being over looked, and the members of the posse being ignored.
    One example of this is Arabian Prince, not mentioned in the flick, but a huge part of early NWA. People say that he left before the Straight Outta Compton album, but he was still around, it's just that his style of production wasn't hard enough. If you listen to the last few track of the album, you will actually hear heavy influence from Arabian Price as the tracks are a bit more electro.

I thought the reaction scene to No Vaseline was great and portrayed the mixed reactions from all the boys.

Poor Ol' DOC only got a brief bit of airtime as well whereas he is a major influnece in the hostory of NWA.

Overall, I enjoyed the motherf*cking sh*t out of the motherf*cker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement