Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York!

Options
  • 12-02-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am looking to go to New York in March for 5 days - does anyone have an idea as to how much spending money to take? Any what the weather might be like? And is the Statue of Liberty open for visitors?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

How long is a piece of string? Depends how much you want to buy!

Regarding the other questions, google is your best friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

the statue of liberty is open but gets booked up very quickly quite far in advance so it mightn't be available for March.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Do a circle line cruise instead of a trip out to the Statue:
    http://www.circleline42.com/new-york-cruises/cruise-details.aspx?id=1

You see much more and it goes around the Statue anyway so you can take pics etc. The queuing is also less intense than down at Battery Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Was there over New year, food & drink prices were similar to here, taxi's are reasonable enough, metro / subway good value & efficient,

Book your Statue of Liberty ticket before you go as the stand by line for the ferry will be long otherwise, you may not get a ticket to the Crown, that sells out months in advance but you should get to the pedestal ok

http://www.statuecruises.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

If you want to do things by boat, you can also take the Staten Island Ferry for free - it cruises close by the statue too.

The Circle Line isn't bad, but can get very crowded. I took my parents on this instead - http://www.sail-nyc.com/schooner-america-2.0-sails

The yacht holds around 75 passengers, but there were only 13 of us the day we went. It cost a bit more than the Circle Line, but it was well worth it.

We passed a Circle Line boat at one point and it was crammed to the gills with people, half of whom were stuck inside. The outside seats fill up fast in nice weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

Weather wise - I was there last March. It was very hit and miss so have a warm coat. One day it could have been 10-12C and the next it was -5C. I remember it being extremely cold on Paddy's Day in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

I went last March for Paddy's week, weather was cold, pretty much like it was here in Dublin, i'd say bring some warm clothes for sure!

I'd definitely recommend getting the Staten Island Ferry (which is free) while you're there, it goes over to Staten Island from Lower Manhattan (down near the WTC site), you get some great views of the city, the statue of liberty and it's free - so well worth the trip..

Enjoy your visit - totally jealous!

Advertisement