Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting the Cord?

• 12-02-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I have a Smart TV, I have a NAS, I have good broadband and I have Sky.

I want to get rid of Sky, my options are to get a Freeview/Soarview box or maybe a HTPC?

I know nothing about HTPC's, can I get live TV and live pause/series link functionality working? How? This seems like magic to me.

Any help appreciated, keep it relatively simplistic though.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

One way would be usb to dvb stick for your htpc then feed saorview into that and set up a tvheadend server on your htpc and link kodi to that. Few bits of info for you to start thinking about it. I was going to do this but frankly the filmon plugin for our htpc provides most of the live tv that me or the oh need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Have a look into Linux Set top boxes, I had the first gen of the Vu+ Duo, there is a newer model since, it ran a very popular image/os called OpenVix, there are many alternatives, it provided full live pause/series link (auto timer) they called it functionality, you can use it to watch all the FTA channels available using your existing Sky satellite, there are many plugins available for it as well as lots of things you can do with it, !! vu+ is the high end, there are cheaper options

Advertisement