Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Guiness and craic in wexford town

Options
  • 12-02-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Howdy, heading to wexford town saturday week for the night. Looking for good pint of guiness and food with bit of athmosphere as well.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Simon Lamberts on the main street is a good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Not too many bars around town do food aswell, so I'll just recommend some decent pubs -

Loch and Quay
    Simons Place (Good food also)
    Bugler Doyles
    Sky and the Ground
    Kellys on the Corner

For food I would recommend -

The Vine (Thai)
    Cistin Eile (Irish grub but fantastically done)
    The Emerald Gardens (Chinese)
    The Yard (Steak etc. normal grub)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

I'd head for dinner in the yard either the restaurant or the tapas bar out the back and over to Maggie May's. Plenty of chippers around, go rough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Great thanks for the help, which pub has the best guiness or are they all good?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sharkys good chipper and you can sit in and eat there. It's over beside Argos

• Advertisement

mooeire wrote: »
    Great thanks for the help, which pub has the best guiness or are they all good?

Guinness is lovely in The White Horse (across from Talbot Hotel - forgot to mention that as a suggestion also), Bugler Doyles and Loch and Quay.

Would be drinking it in pubs geared towards younger people (Maggie Mays, though I'm not certain on that) as the pint wouldnt have as much custom as the others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Mackens for a Pint of Guiness and Lovely view too

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Corvo wrote: »
    Guinness is lovely in The White Horse (across from Talbot Hotel - forgot to mention that as a suggestion also), Bugler Doyles and Loch and Quay.

Would be drinking it in pubs geared towards younger people (Maggie Mays, though I'm not certain on that) as the pint wouldnt have as much custom as the others

you would or wouldnt be drinking it in younger pubs??

mooeire wrote: »
    you would or wouldnt be drinking it in younger pubs??

Sorry, wouldn't! Not saying there is much wrong with it, but you wouldn't see too many drinking Guinness in Maggie Mays or The Stores at nighttime! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I had one of the nicest pints of Guinness ever in T. Morris on Monck street. Its not far from the train station. They also had a pint bottle of cidona!

Go to Thomas Moore just around the corner from Whites, Its a fantastic pub, one of the best run in Ireland imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm heading to Wexford this weekend with Mrs Billy & will be looking to try out as many of the Guinness recommendations as possible. I was wondering if anyone could also recommend any bars that do decent cocktails in the town?

Metro17 comes up in Google, but when I see that cocktails are for €5 I get the feeling that it ain't the sort of place that I'm looking for. Preferably looking for something with a 30's/40's clientele.

I've booked The Vine for Friday evening (had a fantastic meal there last year), & was thinking of Le Tire Bouchon on Saturday - is it still going?

I'm heading to Wexford this weekend with Mrs Billy & will be looking to try out as many of the Guinness recommendations as possible. I was wondering if anyone could also recommend any bars that do decent cocktails in the town?

Metro17 comes up in Google, but when I see that cocktails are for €5 I get the feeling that it ain't the sort of place that I'm looking for. Preferably looking for something with a 30's/40's clientele.

I've booked The Vine for Friday evening (had a fantastic meal there last year), & was thinking of Le Tire Bouchon on Saturday - is it still going?
    You seriously wont go wrong Guinness wise on T. Morris

The undertakers is a good pub and the weather is to be decent so you can sit outside and watch the busy town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Now closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Afraid Le Tire Bouchon is gone too. Not really anything like it in town now. If you like tapas, try The Little Yard on Saturday: http://www.theyard.ie/little-yard/

And Burger Mac for a dirty greasy burger after hours:D

I might give Cistín Eile a shot on Saturday night if I can get a table. And pending other recommendations try the Thomas Moore Tavern for a cocktail or three for Mrs Billy afterwards.

I'll pass on Burger Mac thanks. :) Any suggestions for a kebab though? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I'll pass on Burger Mac thanks. :)Any suggestions for a kebab though? ;)

Yep, don't even think about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I might give Cistín Eile a shot on Saturday night if I can get a table. And pending other recommendations try the Thomas Moore Tavern for a cocktail or three for Mrs Billy afterwards.

I'll pass on Burger Mac thanks. :) Any suggestions for a kebab though? ;)

If you like your food, then book Cistin Eile (they have a website). Second best is La Cote, which is mainly fish focussed.

As regards Guinness, the Loch & Quay is by far the best pint in the town. The Undertakers is also quite good. Its mediocre after that. (Trust me I have done quite extensive research!)

Kebabs..... there are 2 kebab shops in the town, Abra and Kebab Bite. Neither warrant a visit.

STB. wrote: »
    If you like your food, then book Cistin Eile (they have a website). Second best is La Cote, which is mainly fish focussed.

As regards Guinness, the Loch & Quay is by far the best pint in the town. The Undertakers is also quite good. Its mediocre after that. (Trust me I have done quite extensive research!)

Kebabs..... there are 2 kebab shops in the town, Abra and Kebab Bite. Neither warrant a visit.

Hey, don't forget Zam Zam's! Also not worth a visit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Hey, don't forget Zam Zam's! Also not worth a visit! :D

Are the still going ? I don't know how they survive, so hidden away at the back of the library. Its the same guys that own Kebab Bite.

I had kebabs out of both, getting so much doner meat always makes me suspicious. Abra is by far the worst though. They don't even have a spit. So where does the kebab meat come from ? Mysterious, no ?

• Advertisement

There is another chipper down the end of the town but the name escapes me now.
    There is a little coffee shop on the corner of the main street opposite dunnes called nosh. Its lovely for a coffee and a sandwich which was a fiver for both last time I was there. I have moved home to Dublin since I used to regularly visit Wexford so the memory is getting a bit hazy!
    I really cant recommend Thomas Moore's pub enough. I had many a great night there its a fine pub

Are the still going ? I don't know how they survive, so hidden away at the back of the library. Its the same guys that own Kebab Bite.

I had kebabs out of both, getting so much doner meat always makes me suspicious. Abra is by far the worst though. They don't even have a spit. So where does the kebab meat come from ? Mysterious, no ?

I wouldn't step foot in any of those kebab shops (I have been guilty of going into Abra after a night out however, much to my regret).

I live only up the road from Zam Zams and I never see anyone sitting in it. Like never. Its just empty seats. So what happens with the meat cooked for that night or whatever? I know doner meat isn't exactly Angus Beef quality anyway, but come on... They get delivery orders but can't imagine they are flying out...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And Burger Mac for a dirty greasy burger after hours:D

The worst "burger" place in town IMO

Zam Zams is the place to go by all accounts by kebab affecionados (im not one)

Nonna Rosa is a super little place but you will need to book it.
    I wouldn't step foot in any of those kebab shops (I have been guilty of going into Abra after a night out however, much to my regret).

I live only up the road from Zam Zams and I never see anyone sitting in it. Like never. Its just empty seats. So what happens with the meat cooked for that night or whatever? I know doner meat isn't exactly Angus Beef quality anyway, but come on... They get delivery orders but can't imagine they are flying out...

I heard anyone thats gone to it has thought it was great, there is a wait like 20-30 mins but worth it when received. PS - It's on Mallon (Mallen?) Street

Oh and Bugler Doyles great for stout and Sky and the Ground for good craft brews (both down south main st near Nonna Rosa, Cistean Eile)

Ate in The Vine last night. It was top class. Service very friendly but not as good as it could have been. The food was spectacular!

Decent pints were had in Maggie May's, The Sky & The Ground, & John Barry's this afternoon. More to be had later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

They aren't owned by the same people.

Both are decent as regards fast food imo with Kebab Bite being better.

Just a bit more feedback...

We tried (& failed) to eat at Cistín Eile & then Spice on Saturday night - both places were full. So we tried Greenacres, & delighted we were too. The food & service was absolutely cracking. We were blown away. €30 for 4 courses - sure you can't go wrong. And really, really fabulous food too.

Advertisement