Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell Randonnee 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

Lumen wrote: »
    Markers sprayed on the road, marshalls and lots of people going the same way.

Note that we won't be spraying the roads this year due to council objections so instead will be using signs along the road. We'll also have marshals at every junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Sound Ghosty. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Can't make it Saturday if anyone else needs a place. PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Think I missed it, what was the new aspect this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rocwood

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hi
    Have been hit with asthma related chest infection so will have a spare slot going.

Ok can I take your slot, haven't used boards before, how do I get in contact

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TALL1

Can't make it Saturday if anyone else needs a place. PM me.

Im looking for a place what do i need to do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Rocwood wrote: »
    Ok can I take your slot, haven't used boards before, how do I get in contact

Send a PM (private message).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

I have chest infection so can't make it :( PM if anybody looking for a place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Mine is available too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

TALL1 wrote: »
    Im looking for a place what do i need to do ?
    PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hi
    Have been hit with asthma related chest infection so will have a spare slot going.
    sy wrote: »
    I have chest infection so can't make it :( PM if anybody looking for a place

Ah FFS. I was looking forward to catching up and having a chat.:(

Speedy recovery chaps.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

I'll be marshalling so will keep an eye out for the boardies.

Cycled the route yesterday. Make sure you keep enough in the tank for the second accent of sally gap. Last part is though enough just before the crossroads.

Handy enough from there back to finish. Enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ArdRi71

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

If anyone cant make it I would be interested in taking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Work has decreed that I'm over in Morocco for the week :(

Anyone want an entry pm me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Think I missed it, what was the new aspect this year?

KOM and QOM competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Mine is sold now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TALL1

I got my entry sorted
    Looking for another one for a pal
    Anyone got one to transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭devonp

weather/ kit advice sought:

given the forecast(s) ranging from sunny morning with developing pm showers (RTE) to heavy rain (yr.no)
    what would experienced wicklow mountain cyclists advise ?? for the OR-2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭lissard

Looks like a very similar forecast to we had for last Saturday. For that I had Nanoflex leg-warmers and arm-warmers, base layer, club jersey and shorts, gillet, merino winter socks, shoe covers,a cap and winter gloves. Still froze on descents. Not sure exactly what I could have done differently to make things warmer - maybe a long sleeve merino base layer and winter jacket.

lissard wrote: »
    Looks like a very similar forecast to we had for last Saturday. For that I had Nanoflex leg-warmers and arm-warmers, base layer, club jersey and shorts, gillet, merino winter socks, shoe covers,a cap and winter gloves. Still froze on descents. Not sure exactly what I could have done differently to make things warmer - maybe a long sleeve merino base layer and winter jacket.

cheers for that, which reminds me i have a long sleeve merino base layer (Aldi 19e) maybe i'll wear it with my normal base layer, it packs up pretty small if i overheat:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Work has decreed that I'm over in Morocco for the week :(

Anyone want an entry pm me...

Gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

After last Sat I plan to go with 2 pairs socks and heavy duty shoe covers (just wore my lighter shower-proof ones last Sat and my feet got very wet). Puma compression tights, Nike running tights, bib shorts, lidl leg warmers, puma compression base layer, Nike "wooly" base layer, Jersey, gabba, shower jacket and lidl arm warmers. Nike running gloves, Adidas water resistant gloves.

As you can see I'm going with as many layers as I can. 4, counting shoes and over shoes on feet, 3 on legs, 5 including shower jacket on torso. I'll also have two layers of headwear under my lid, and 2 layers on hands.

My big worry is that if/when rain permeates that lot I'll have basically built a highly efficient fridge around my entire body! My second big worry is that if there's a sunny spell I'll boil-in-in-the-bag!

Rb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

^^^^^
    large-9367-joey.jpg

^^^^^
    large-9367-joey.jpg

Time for lunges!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 papa_shango

got an entry folks if someone looking for one-knees can't take the pain--pm me in interested
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 YAGO

Hi I would buy an entry if someone is not going :D
    Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Dinging

What's car parking like on the day? Do I need to arrive early to get a spot or do most people cycle to register and then head off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

i have an entry i wont be using

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Dinging wrote: »
    What's car parking like on the day? Do I need to arrive early to get a spot or do most people cycle to register and then head off?

Depends on where you are living, the 150K is bad enough without adding to it :eek:

Car parking has been fine the last few years, plenty of room in the school grounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

How do you transfer your entry? Sorry if it's been posted here already - couldn't see it.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Unfortunately I have to give the Randonee a miss. A friend also has a spare entry so I have two available at cost (€30 each). PM me if you are interested.

Weather Forecast, assuming reliable, looks like rain in the afternoon (from lunch onwards)

be nice to at least start in the dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

bazermc wrote: »
    Weather Forecast, assuming reliable, looks like rain in the afternoon (from lunch onwards)

YR.no predicting rain all day, hope you're right though cos I'm marshalling for the morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

We'll be grand.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    We'll be grand.

Hmmmmmm, I distinctly remember a similar post from a different user the day before the Skoda Tour of Wicklow last Saturday and I nearly died of hypothermia that day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Another abandoner here due to complete lack of fitness. My one 80-90km cycle this year nearly killed me, so at this stage it'd be ridiculous to try this weekend. Very jealous of those entering as I really enjoyed it before. Given that it's putting money towards a charity I'm not too fussed on getting money from anyone else so your entry is paid.

If someone wants the place then just PM me and maybe make a small donation towards Ross Nugent Foundation or Nepal or something instead.

UPDATE - gone to billyhead

Hmmmmmm, I distinctly remember a similar post from a different user the day before the Skoda Tour of Wicklow last Saturday and I nearly died of hypothermia that day :rolleyes:

Folks, the organising committee are meeting tonight to discuss the route given the forecast. I was one of those caught out last Saturday and there's no way any cyclist should have to go through those conditions again.

Once the call is made on the route, we'll let people know through the various channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

g0g wrote: »
    Another abandoner here due to complete lack of fitness. My one 80-90km cycle this year nearly killed me, so at this stage it'd be ridiculous to try this weekend. Very jealous of those entering as I really enjoyed it before. Given that it's putting money towards a charity I'm not too fussed on getting money from anyone else so your entry is paid.

If someone wants the place then just PM me and maybe make a small donation towards Ross Nugent Foundation or Nepal or something instead.

UPDATE - gone to billyhead

billyhead just cancelled so entry is available again to first taker

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    Folks, the organising committee are meeting tonight to discuss the route given the forecast. I was one of those caught out last Saturday and there's no way any cyclist should have to go through those conditions again.

Once the call is made on the route, we'll let people know through the various channels.

So have you handed us our sentence?

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote: »

Hi all,
    As most of you may be aware, the weather forecast for this weekend is not in our favour and for the safety and enjoyment of participants it is with great reluctance that we have decided to change the route for Saturday. The decision was made based on a number of factors including last week’s Skoda Tour of Wicklow where similar conditions were experienced and we wanted to ensure that we maximize riders safety.

Updated plan
    Basically, with our new route we’ve removed most of the higher, more exposed climbs that we deemed could be very dangerous in the conditions. We’ve also had reports of oil on one of the steeper climbs thus making it hazardous. We’ve believe that we’ve come up with a route that is still very challenging and should provide each rider with the great sense of achievement on completion.

Our new route : http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7695327

The start of the event will still go ahead at 9am and we’ve tried to ensure that we can accommodate the extra cars that may be arriving.

The only real change we’ve made regarding the food and water stops are :

· The first water stop will still be situated at the top of Djouce hill.
    · Our feed stop will be in the same location in Laragh.
    · The final water stop will now be located at the Luggala crossroads.

We’ve asked that as part of the food at the finish, that the chip van will provide teas and coffees to those who may want them. We’ve also ensured that there will be plenty of hot water for showers for those that want to avail of them.

Given that we’ve taken out the climbs, we’ve also decided to cancel this year’s KOM and QOM competitions and will instead donate the cost of the jerseys to our associated charity. Hopefully it’s something we will try next year if the conditions are suitable.

Once again, our apologies for this late change but we feel that given the circumstances, we’d prefer to provide a event that everyone can get around safely rather than one where people may suffer unnecessarily.

Any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sometimes you'd be thankful for a bit of rain, wouldn't you?

D9Male wrote: »

A suspended sentence of 29K :P

I have an entry i cant use (and its even easier than usual:P)
    if anyone wants it PM me
    not fussed about the 30e, just ask that the user might donate to the Ross Nugent foundation, not quite sure how i transfer the registration(prob just email my pdf ??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    As most of you may be aware, the weather forecast for this weekend is not in our favour and for the safety and enjoyment of participants it is with great reluctance that we have decided to change the route for Saturday. The decision was made based on a number of factors including last week’s Skoda Tour of Wicklow where similar conditions were experienced and we wanted to ensure that we maximize riders safety.

Updated plan
    Basically, with our new route we’ve removed most of the higher, more exposed climbs that we deemed could be very dangerous in the conditions. We’ve also had reports of oil on one of the steeper climbs thus making it hazardous. We’ve believe that we’ve come up with a route that is still very challenging and should provide each rider with the great sense of achievement on completion.

Our new route : http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7695327

The start of the event will still go ahead at 9am and we’ve tried to ensure that we can accommodate the extra cars that may be arriving.

The only real change we’ve made regarding the food and water stops are :

· The first water stop will still be situated at the top of Djouce hill.
    · Our feed stop will be in the same location in Laragh.
    · The final water stop will now be located at the Luggala crossroads.

We’ve asked that as part of the food at the finish, that the chip van will provide teas and coffees to those who may want them. We’ve also ensured that there will be plenty of hot water for showers for those that want to avail of them.

Given that we’ve taken out the climbs, we’ve also decided to cancel this year’s KOM and QOM competitions and will instead donate the cost of the jerseys to our associated charity. Hopefully it’s something we will try next year if the conditions are suitable.

Once again, our apologies for this late change but we feel that given the circumstances, we’d prefer to provide a event that everyone can get around safely rather than one where people may suffer unnecessarily.

Any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks

Well done Orwell. Proper decision in the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

After doing the route last Sunday and marshalling this Saturday, I propose you do the same original route that was planned for this weekend next year but add on Devils Elbow for that extra bit of suffering to make up for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

MichealD wrote: »
    Well done Orwell. Proper decision in the circumstances.

Now there's proper affirmation, the President himself has given his approval of the decision. I wonder if the Council of State were involved in helping him reach his decision? :D:D

I agree, it is a good decision. Nothing whatsoever to do with laziness on my part. I particularly welcome the chip van news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Whats the bets tomorrow ends up the best day of the year so far. Warm temperatures, gentle breeze always going with you and clear blue skies.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Whats the bets tomorrow ends up the best day of the year so far. Warm temperatures, gentle breeze always going with you and clear blue skies.

I'll take that bet!

Advertisement