Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ammo limit

Options
  • 12-02-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Just received my first shotgun licence but have been restricted to 100 rounds of ammo. I think I filled in 350 on app form. Is this normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Just received my first shotgun licence but have been restricted to 100 rounds of ammo. I think I filled in 350 on app form. Is this normal.

Did you submit a letter with your application stating why you need 350 rounds of ammo?

You have to spell out your case for the ammo amount that you requested otherwise they sometimes give you the default amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

No I just put it on the form. Was talking to 3 different guards and none of them ever gave me an indication that ammo was an issue. I have to say the guards were all friendly but to be quite honest fairly clueless regarding app. The contradicted each other and even themselves on numerous issues.

Not blaming them for ammo issue but the app process could be streamlined a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

No I just put it on the form. Was talking to 3 different guards and none of them ever gave me an indication that ammo was an issue. I have to say the guards were all friendly but to be quite honest fairly clueless regarding app. The contradicted each other and even themselves on numerous issues.

Not blaming them for ammo issue but the app process could be streamlined a lot.

Your experience is typical of the current Irish system.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭black powder colt

If its just for hunting they can be reluctant to give more then 100 if you want more be sure to tell them your into clay shooting.also explain to them you need different types of shot for different game you will have to put this in writing which means you will probably have to apply again.

Will tip away at the moment. Would I really have to apply for new licence. Could new one not be amended. Wish I had known all this before I started. The whole process is very frustrating and very anti-newbie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Will tip away at the moment. Would I really have to apply for new licence. Could new one not be amended.

Yes it can.

Simply go to your FO, explain why you need more than the default 1100 round limit, have a piece of paper with the reasons outlined too, and give it to him/her.

He can run it by the Super and if agreed they'll simply reprint the license with the required amount or a higher amount than you have, but still not the amount you were looking for.

The reason for talking to the FO is it could have been an oversight, so you could in fact go in, keep the explanation paper in your pocket and explain that they made a mistake. Sometimes they simply reprint the license with the amount being sought.

More with honey than vinegar, and all that lark.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

But I actually have licence now ie I paid an post the 80 euro. Can it still be amended. I feel a bit of a fool now I don't know if this was specified on the form I sent to an post as if I spotted it I would have gone to guards before paying. What would be a reasonable ammo qty to request. I originally applied under pigeon and pest control but now feel I would like to shoot clays as well. By the way thanks for all the help.

Having the license or not does not matter. You were granted the license under the information you supplied on the FCA1 so not paying for it, and going back to amend the ammo limit would be the same as trying it when you have the license.

So go back, with your license, and try and sort it now. The Gardaí work on certain activities for certain amounts. The 100 is a default amount for all licenses and is also the amount they see as enough for vermin and pest control. The amounts listed (shotgun and rifle) are:
    1. Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
    2. Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
    3. Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
    4. Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds

Clay pigeon shooting can fall between category 3 and 4. So in order to get a higher amount on your license you need to show why, and for what purpose. So if you wanted to do clays, pest control, etc you could say something like:

"I request the amount on my shotgun license be increased from 100 to 500 for the following reason:
    1. Clay pigeon shooting using dedicated clay cartridges
    2. Pest control using dedicated game cartridges
    3. The need to have enough of each type for their respective purposes
    4. Distance to dealer being excessive
    5. Buying bulk slabs of cartridges to reduce trips to dealer and for cost reasons
    6. Empty cartridges are treated the same as live cartridges so my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired cartridges in my possession.
    For these reasons the limit of 100 cartridges is insufficient to allow me to pursue both clay shooting and pest control while staying within the conditions of my license".

Even if they deem 500 to be too much and award 300, 325, 350, 400 it's more than you have. close to what you want and a sight bit better than what you have. IOW ask for slightly more than you need so a smaller amount is exactly what you want.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks again. I'll let u know how I get on.

Do. Just go in prepared, talk first and if that failss hand in the paper with your reasons for requesting the ammo increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Cass wrote: »
    ]Empty cartridges are treated the same as live cartridges

Can you explain that one Cass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

knockon wrote: »
    Can you explain that one Cass?

Self explanatory really empty shells are classed the same as live. If you have 100 rounds and fire One you still have 100.

The law states that ammunition is:
    Ammunition for a firearm or any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition

Component part being the bullet, the case, the propellant, the primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Cass wrote: »
    The law states that ammunition is:

Component part being the bullet, the case, the propellant, the primer.

and I found that in the Firearms Act of 1925.....learned something new..thanks.

So I dumped my shotgun shells in the household bin after a day shooting clays...would I really be taken seriously if one was to suggest that to a Super that the empty shells are included in my limit? Only asking.

and I found that in the Firearms Act of 1925.....learned something new..thanks.

So I dumped my shotgun shells in the household bin after a day shooting clays...would I really be taken seriously if one was to suggest that to a Super that the empty shells are included in my limit? Only asking.

That have a hard job arguing With the law when it's in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I thought it was only reloadable rounds, ie. centrefire? Maybe I'm wrong (probably am) but I don't think you can reload shotgun shells...

...........would I really be taken seriously if one was to suggest that to a Super that the empty shells are included in my limit? Only asking.
    Well the nly way i can answer that is to say it's the law. How the Super or the Garda on the day acts is completely up to him.

There has been a case of a chap brought to court for having a bullet display. As he did not have a license for every caliber in the display he was technically breaking the firearms act. The judge threw the case out citing that the display was a decoration and not to be used for reloading or nefarious purposes. IOW common sense prevailed. However he was still charged and brought to court.

I've also got a friend that had his house raided, guns seized and the only thing they found was an empty .45 cal pistol shell. Now the chap owns a couple of handguns and the empty was in his pistol box. IOW it could have landed there from someone else's gun when he was on the range. It took two years and a couple of court appearances for him to get his guns back.

So it's illegal to have any component part without the appropriate license and while history has shown that common sense is mostly applied in the curt (not by AGS) is the cost and hassle worth it?

The same applies to empties. So when i got rid of my 6.5x55 i took all my empty brass to the range and dumped it there as i had no license for it, and hence was in possession of unlicensed component parts.
    Longranger wrote: »
    Maybe I'm wrong (probably am) but I don't think you can reload shotgun shells...
    Pretty much everything can be reloaded and shotgun shells are no different. It's very popular in the states, but even if it were allowed here the cost saving is not huge and most factory shells do the job perfectly. IOW you would most likely not get the same performance enhancement that you would from a C/F reloaded round.

Same with .22lr. It can be reloaded but it's dangerous and not worth it when you consider batch testing, and the quality of factory stuff is already up there in terms of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Longranger wrote: »
    I thought it was only reloadable rounds, ie. centrefire? Maybe I'm wrong (probably am) but I don't think you can reload shotgun shells...

it is all rounds including rimfire which are the only rounds cant be reloaded, it is possible to reload pistol shotgun and rifle cartridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

I applied for 500, and when the super called me he asked if I really needed it or if I could do with 250. So now I got 250. I applied for a double barrel for clay shooting.

I guess it's normal they're trying to talk you down a bit. 100 seems awfully low though, that won't be enough for a clay shooter over a busy weekend. If you're buying your ammo in the place you're shooting (as I do) it doesn't really matter, but if you don't 100 is too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    100 seems awfully low though, that won't be enough for a clay shooter over a busy weekend.
    Try having that limit on your air rifle cert, when a single tin of pellets has 500 in it :D

• Advertisement

If you've three guns and each has a 500 limit does that mean you can have 1500 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yes, but within obvious constraints (can't have 1500 .243 rounds if you only have one licence for a .243 and the other two licences are for something else, for example).

Advertisement