Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to Xbox Live

Options
  • 12-02-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

not sure if its the right place to post..my sons have xbox live wirelessly connected. got a new modem from vodafone due to issues with old one.

Ever since new one set up xbox either cant access the internet or xbox live. vodafone fobbed me off with "google dns settings"

Any help appreciated as my sons are driving me crazy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Xbox One or the 360?

Either way if the router was changed then then the wireless security key , network name etc. will have changed too so could be just a matter of going into network settings on the xbox and scanning for the new network and entering the key.

If it's not that let us know what error if any it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭roxybargains

calex71 wrote: »
    Xbox One or the 360?

Either way if the router was changed then then the wireless security key , network name etc. will have changed too so could be just a matter of going into network settings on the xbox and scanning for the new network and entering the key.

If it's not that let us know what error if any it gets.

Its a 360, i have the new network set up, i can see it in wireless connections but if i test the connection the xbox sees the router and fails either at hitting the internet or xbox live.

error msg says unable to connect please try again or something along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

With eircom it used to be the built on firewall on the modem if it was set any higher then low

stuchyg wrote: »
    With eircom it used to be the built on firewall on the modem if it was set any higher then low

just checked and firewall is set to low

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Have you run through the trouble shooter on Xbox.com?

It's here.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Have you run through the trouble shooter on Xbox.com?

It's here.

thanks...ive been through that and just cant pin point the issue

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

thanks...ive been through that and just cant pin point the issue

Have you tried inputting IP, DNS, gateway etc manually? I seem to recall not being able to get my 260 to connect to the internet until i did that a few years ago.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Have you tried inputting IP, DNS, gateway etc manually? I seem to recall not being able to get my 260 to connect to the internet until i did that a few years ago.

this is what vodafone tech guy suggested..only problem is ive no idea what the dns is, and is the ip the router ip address etc??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

this is what vodafone tech guy suggested..only problem is ive no idea what the dns is, and is the ip the router ip address etc??

For dns you can use google dns, so set the primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4 I think.

Do you know how to access your router through a web browser? If you do, look to see if you can set up a static IP address on it then give the xbox the same IP address.

For dns you can use google dns, so set the primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4 I think.

Do you know how to access your router through a web browser? If you do, look to see if you can set up a static IP address on it then give the xbox the same IP address.

i can access the router so il have a look and try set a static IP

if i manually set dns to the numbers u quoted subnet mask at the usual 255 etc and what is the gateway?

• Advertisement

probably my poor tech skills but cant see where i can set IP to static?

i can access the router so il have a look and try set a static IP

if i manually set dns to the numbers u quoted subnet mask at the usual 255 etc and what is the gateway?

Gateway will be the same address as your router, so whatever you typed into your browser to access it, 192.168.1.254 is the one for an eircom router for example.

For the static IP maybe see if you can look at what devices are connected to the router and if you can see the xbox, then see is there an option to assign an IP to that device. I'm not familiar with vodafone routers so maybe google the make and model of the router for a tutorial.

Gateway will be the same address as your router, so whatever you typed into your browser to access it, 192.168.1.254 is the one for an eircom router for example.

For the static IP maybe see if you can look at what devices are connected to the router and if you can see the xbox, then see is there an option to assign an IP to that device. I'm not familiar with vodafone routers so maybe google the make and model of the router for a tutorial.

Found the table in the LAN settings but i cant see the device just what must be wireless card numbers..

thanks for the info though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

For a static IP, you should set it on your Xbox 360 rather than the router.

See this guide at portforward.com, it's pretty extensive. The only tricky part is finding out what your routers DCHP range is.

Basically, one of the settings on your router should be called something like DCHP range, and it'll give two addresses, along the lines of 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.100.

You want to give your Xbox an IP address that's NOT in that range.

If that doesn't work, then you can go onto the next step of port forwarding, which is here.

Thanks for that..il have a read through the links in detail.

hopefully it resolves the issue as its only since replacing the router.

one other question would a cat5 wired connection solve the problem?

Thanks for that..il have a read through the links in detail.

hopefully it resolves the issue as its only since replacing the router.

one other question would a cat5 wired connection solve the problem?

Most likely, yes.

Most likely, yes.

thanks to all for the advice...port forwarding didnt work so 30 meters of cat5 cable did solve it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

thanks to all for the advice...port forwarding didnt work so 30 meters of cat5 cable did solve it!

I assume you have one of the white vodafone routers that sits upright ??

Here are the settings I'm using http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93250270&postcount=133

You will have to log on as admin to access some of the settings I have on the pictures. admin admin1234 is the user / password.

Thing is you should not should not have to port forward to connect to xbox live if nat is strict usually it will just affect the ability to join games, is there a static ip address set on the xbox by any chance???? go into the network settings on the xbox and default them all or set to automatic.

Thanks for the info and link to the NAT thread..its relevent as since networking the kids xbox it works fine but gives a warning msg to say NAT is set to moderate...im gonna try to port forward tomorrow after work..

Would have done it today but oldest son downloaded an update for Battlefield 3 which corrupted the flash drive... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

Guys, I'm gonna bump this thread as I don't want to start another one...and I'm at my wits end!

Have a 360 that was all fine and dandyo a year ago (the last time I played it!).
    Have efibre (F1000 router).
    Manual setting everywhere on the Xbox.
    IP Address 192.168.1.88
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.254
    Primary DNS 159.134.0.1
    Secondary DNS 159.134.0.2
    Have 4 ports open for port forwarding.

On test, I can reach the network but not the internet.

This used work a year ago, and the only difference now is I'm using homeplugs. But since I'm seeing the network, I'm accessing the router, so they're not the issue.

Anybody out there able to help a weary middle-aged man?

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Guys, I'm gonna bump this thread as I don't want to start another one...and I'm at my wits end!

Have a 360 that was all fine and dandyo a year ago (the last time I played it!).
    Have efibre (F1000 router).
    Manual setting everywhere on the Xbox.
    IP Address 192.168.1.88
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.254
    Primary DNS 159.134.0.1
    Secondary DNS 159.134.0.2
    Have 4 ports open for port forwarding.

On test, I can reach the network but not the internet.

This used work a year ago, and the only difference now is I'm using homeplugs. But since I'm seeing the network, I'm accessing the router, so they're not the issue.

Anybody out there able to help a weary middle-aged man?

Nothing jumps out at me. What error message does the test give?

DNS Error.

Oh, and I've tried the Google DNS addresses of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Flog all good.

Oh, and I've tried the Google DNS addresses of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Flog all good.

And are the ports definitely still forwarded? I.e. any update pushed out by Eircom may have reset them.

And are the ports definitely still forwarded? I.e. any update pushed out by Eircom may have reset them.

Don't know how I'd check that.

They're still listed in the router. Maybe delete and redo?

And is it good practice to restart the modem after each change, or is it updated on the fly?

Don't know how I'd check that.

They're still listed in the router. Maybe delete and redo?

And is it good practice to restart the modem after each change, or is it updated on the fly?

If they're still listed then they're still there. Most routers will restart any time you make a change that needs a restart automatically, so that should be fine. However, it could be useful to power cycle everything, turn 360 and router off, then unplug, wait 30 seconds, reconnect everything and try again.

Next thing I'd suggest is probably awkward, but connect the 360 directly to the network. I'd just want to 100% rule out the homeplugs, as you've said, those are the only real change between working and not working.

Anecdotal, but I have seen totally random issues with homeplugs before, nowhere near enough to stop recommending them(I think they're brilliant), but it can happen.

Will try that, thanks. Was trying to discount everything before moving the Xbox!

Do you know anything about FSD3?
    That's been acting up recently, and I'm wondering if it's possible to format the Xbox hdd and do a clean install.

Will try that, thanks. Was trying to discount everything before moving the Xbox!

Do you know anything about FSD3?
    That's been acting up recently, and I'm wondering if it's possible to format the Xbox hdd and do a clean install.

No, got out of the modding scene ages and ages ago. I'd chipped my original Xbox, but then I realised that I was spending more time keeping it operational than I was playing games, so I vowed never to get into again! Sorry I can't help on that more.

No worries. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sleazy Gonzales

No worries. Thanks for your help.

Try changing your static ip address from 88 to 90 (192.168.1.90) On the xbox and in your routers port forward settings

When switching from wireless to wired, you need to also change the static ip

Advertisement