Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daycare/crèche etc

Options
  • 12-02-2015 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking at putting my 2y2m old son into daycare for maybe 2-3 mornings per week. Reason being, I think the interaction and structure it could provide could be beneficial for him. He's loads of energy and just wants to learn learn learn. So basically I only know of one play school (9am-12pm) which would be ideal but is booked out.

There seems to be absolutely no play schools otherwise in Dublin so I think it looks like crèche is the only option until he begins Montessori in September?

Many crèches are completely full at the moment until September and I was hoping for him to start now.

Would anyone have any opinions on Rathfarnham Daycare? They only have 2 full days avaliable per week. We only wanted mornings but I spose we have really limited options. We could drop Him in late and pick him up early I spose as long as we pay. It's €450 for 2 days per week per month. Would be grateful if anyone has any feedback on this place?

He's never ever been away from me so naturally extremely anxious about putting him somewhere to be minding by anybody else. But I think it might be good for him. Would appreciate any feedback/opinions/ options on anyother play schools/crèches etc in the south Dublin area (d4,d6,d14).

Thanks and sorry for the long post. I prob could've made it a lot more succinct :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Sligo, not sure if Blackrock would be an option but Simbas have two play schools in the area, the one in the village I would be more familiar with. They take kids from 20 months and its mornings only.

One of my friends had her 2 year old there until they moved out of the area and spoke very highly of it. It's probably where we'll put our eldest part time from September before she starts ecce year in 2016.

They start at 2 mornings and are very competitive in price, would be worth a call and a visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks a million! That's just the kind of thing I'm looking for tbh! Going to have a look at the website now. I bet they are all booked tho :(. I don't fancy our chances very much. But this sort of thing would be perfect. Fingers crossed :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thanks a million! That's just the kind of thing I'm looking for tbh! Going to have a look at the website now. I bet they are all booked tho :(. I don't fancy our chances very much. But this sort of thing would be perfect. Fingers crossed :).

They are really flexible and had availability both times I called, we were originally going to put our eldest in last June when she finished creche but decided to keep her off until this September.

They are really flexible and had availability both times I called, we were originally going to put our eldest in last June when she finished creche but decided to keep her off until this September.

O thanks so much for the recommendation. It's literally exactly what we are looking for. I have spent all day googling trying to find places and I've been ringing round places all day. But all I seem to find are crèches. Playground/playschool would be the ideal.

I'm going to ring them first thing tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on :). Thanks again!

Also, of anyone knows of another playschools would really appreciate any names? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Hi there, we had a nanny emergency recently and called around crèches in booterstown, blackrock, UCD (area where we live ) and D1/D4 close to dart, and were all booked till summer :( don't know about play schools though
    Are you interested in play groups as well ? There is one in mount Merrion, near Deer park

• Advertisement

scaryfairy wrote: »
    Hi there, we had a nanny emergency recently and called around crèches in booterstown, blackrock, UCD (area where we live ) and D1/D4 close to dart, and were all booked till summer :( don't know about play schools though
    Are you interested in play groups as well ? There is one in mount Merrion, near Deer park

Yes I've rang around a lot in all those areas aswell. The ucd one looked great but totally booked and there's a waiting list aswell!

When you say play groups do you mean like parent toddler groups? We go to a good few of these aswell :). Went to the mt merrion one last week (tues/wed at 10.30-12). Was great. And we will keep going to the groups but I really think he needs something a bit more structured a couple days per week aswell as the fun stuff we can do together :).

Rang simbas this morning. Currently they are full but did say things can change quick enough. Going to have a look on Monday anyway to see what it's like. Fingers crossed something comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

If your in rathfarham Tots & Co up in nutgrove have places

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Yes I've rang around a lot in all those areas aswell. The ucd one looked great but totally booked and there's a waiting list aswell!

When you say play groups do you mean like parent toddler groups? We go to a good few of these aswell :). Went to the mt merrion one last week (tues/wed at 10.30-12). Was great. And we will keep going to the groups but I really think he needs something a bit more structured a couple days per week aswell as the fun stuff we can do together :).
    yes, sorry, meant to say parent toddler groups. I work full time :( so not that well versed in these options... will have to ask his Nanny to bring him to this group. good luck with your search!

neris wrote: »
    If your in rathfarham Tots & Co up in nutgrove have places

Thanks. I'm not in Rathfatham but willing to travel so will have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Sligo...I've no advice at all...just wanted to join in on a moan! Trying to sign S up for the ECCE year in Sept has been a nightmare! Every where booked up...other are glorified playschools claiming to be montessori, but not a bronze stairs or pink tower in sight! I finally found a place that's a 15 min drive away. Childminder is not going to be happy, but I couldn't get anywhere else!

Sligo...I've no advice at all...just wanted to join in on a moan! Trying to sign S up for the ECCE year in Sept has been a nightmare! Every where booked up...other are glorified playschools claiming to be montessori, but not a bronze stairs or pink tower in sight! I finally found a place that's a 15 min drive away. Childminder is not going to be happy, but I couldn't get anywhere else!

O no! :(. I really didn't think it would be so bloody difficult! The Montessori T is starting in in September do not provide the free Ecce year (the following year) We have to pay! Maybe I should start putting him on some lists for the following year to make sure we have options if we decide we don't want to be paying for it. It's mad. I never in my right mind thought there would be such a demand :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

O no! :(. I really didn't think it would be so bloody difficult! The Montessori T is starting in in September do not provide the free Ecce year (the following year) We have to pay! Maybe I should start putting him on some lists for the following year to make sure we have options if we decide we don't want to be paying for it. It's mad. I never in my right mind thought there would be such a demand :(.

Me neither. We were lucky with F. He was already in Creche when his ECCE application went in so of course they took him. But S is starting from scratch! People were telling me last Sept to sign him up and I thought they were mad! It's so ridiculous....I can't even be sure he's got a primary school place yet, and now the worry of the ECCE!

Advertisement