Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The hottest new drinking fad for this season is here!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

eternal wrote: »
    Nobody asked you to scowl.
    Ah it's good craic giving out about the young wans though, little do they realise we were twice as bad when we were young.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Whosthis wrote: »
    Water board them, with vodka.

This will probably be the next 'fad'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

€5.50?

Seriously, where do people think we live? Some impoverished African colony from the 19th century?

According to some very bitter people, every student without exception is a good for nothing waste of tax-payers/daddy's money.

Ever. Since Universities were founded hundreds of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

According to some very bitter people, every student without exception is a good for nothing waste of tax-payers/daddy's money.

Ever. Since Universities were founded hundreds of years ago.
    They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

vienne86 wrote: »
    Always wonder where students get the cash to buy a bottle of booze, even cheap. They're always broke.

Theres always money for booze, esp when your a student, I said it back when I was one and still true looking back, you could be broke as feck even if your working parttime as well as college (getting less than minimum wage though :mad:) but youll always somehow find you have enough for beers for most of the day and a chicken roll :D:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Frynge wrote: »
    I didn't understand any of that!

Ah your a young wan so, id say :pac::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Anybody seen any evidence of this actually being a thing?

Besides that Independent article and the Mirror with pretty much the same I couldn't find anything.

Only video of it on youtube is from 2006 and no mention of it on twitter. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

What's the big deal? What teenager hasn't collapsed in a pile of their own vomit after sinking a few naggins? Rite of passage and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I heard of this. From a friends brother. But it wasn't surprise a friend in class with a naggin and have them drink it on next night out. It was surprise a friend with a naggin and have them drink it in the class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I know plenty of us used to get wasted drunk when in college but not downing a naggin of vodka in one go as part of a "craze".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

I heard of this. From a friends brother. But it wasn't surprise a friend in class with a naggin and have them drink it on next night out. It was surprise a friend with a naggin and have them drink it in the class.

Makes slightly more sense, otherwise why would surprising them in class be a factor? Why not any time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

naggin isn't that much drink like whats the big deal
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Downing it one go (or trying to).

vienne86 wrote: »
    Always wonder where students get the cash to buy a bottle of booze, even cheap. They're always broke.

Jobs? Sometimes generous parents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,659 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Explains Waterford IT's status as national clown college perfectly then.

• Advertisement

Downing it one go (or trying to).

It would be a funner fad if the challenge was to down the naggin in class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Light weights the lot of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

All these fecking challenges annoy me more for the fact that it's such regimented organised "craic" rather than the amount of alcohol consumed.

Back in my day if you wanted to neck a pint or down a naggin you just got on with it.

"But we're having FUN! This is so much FUN! Lets all upload our videos to facebook som everyone can see the FUN we're having! Look at how FUN we are!............You're not looking :( "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

"But we're having FUN! This is so much FUN! Lets all upload our videos to facebook som everyone can see the FUN we're having! Look at how FUN we are!............You're not looking :( "

http://i.imgur.com/jOKlO1Z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I like a drink but my 35 year old liver would not be able to process a naggin fast enough so i would probably hit the deck:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Explains Waterford IT's status as national clown college perfectly then.

Do tell where is WIT mentioned in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't remember any of these 'games' when I was in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't remember any of these 'games' when I was in college.

I'm guessing they could be an American import. I used to go out with an American fella in my early 20s and when I was visiting him once, we went to a party where people spent most of the day faffing about playing drinking games when I would've rather just sat down, drank and talked. It was fun but getting down to business and having a laugh is much more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Naggins.

The calling card of the alcoholic. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Here's a crazy idea for a student drinking game - Moderation.

The top students know that getting so drunk you cannot remember the night isn't going to do much for your final grade. Or for your ability to cope with a big workload and project deliverables.

"deliverables"...Oh, Christ!

David Brent strikes again.

Indeed the naggin necking could adversely affect their blue-sky out-of-the-box thinking causing a paradigm shift in the requisite synergies to collate attendant metrics. I think we'd better take this offline.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I'm a working professional in a decent job with a pension and all those grown up things, and €5.50 is still a lot of money to me!

Certainly more than I'd spend just to look "cool" on Facebook for participating in the latest fad.

5.50 is the price of a fucking pint or a junk meal in a fast food outlet. What is your take home pay each month from your decent job? A tenner?

I was an impoverished student back in the day but my classmates and I still manged to get hammered in the Stag's Head every Friday after lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

strobe wrote: »
    New drinking fad..?

OMG it's 2004 1988 again!! It worked Marty!!

FYP:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Bunch of lil bitches, do it with a litre of lidl rum, then get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Back in my day we drank hash and smoked ecstasy into our veins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

An File wrote: »
    The story goes he made himself throw up as soon as the lads stopped the camera.
    I'd imagine he didn't need to encourage himself too much before he got sick!
    They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers

Jaysus if we carried on with half of that stuff we wouldn't be able to type stuff on boards today because we'd have been killed or beaten senseless. You left out referring to older people especially neighbours as Mr or Mrs and NEVER by their first name no matter how well we knew them. Getting a boot in the hole back then involved large heavy steel toed hobnailed yokes that could cripple you on the first impact.

Maybe its time to return to those happy days?

• Advertisement

Jesus, if that kind of thing takes off then we're all in trouble :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Back in my day we used to roll out of the castle on horseback and raid the local townspeople, we'd take what we want, drink what we want and probably set fire to the town as we left with the women in chains. Them were the days I tells ya, a naggin wouldn't have even been a warm up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

ScumLord wrote: »
    Back in my day we used to roll out of the castle on horseback and raid the local townspeople, we'd take what we want, drink what we want and probably set fire to the town as we left with the women in chains. Them were the days I tells ya, a naggin wouldn't have even been a warm up.

"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women."

Man, those were the days...

ScumLord wrote: »

I remember them days well. Good, clean, honest to god fun. And everyone would shake hands at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

How many of those students are throwing the vodka down the sink/hiding away in another bottle for normal consumption and refilling with water and pretending to be langers to look like theyre cool?

But then there's always one idiot that'll try to do it for real.

How many of those students are throwing the vodka down the sink/hiding away in another bottle for normal consumption and refilling with water and pretending to be langers to look like theyre cool?

But then there's always one idiot that'll try to do it for real.

The necknomination proved that most were drinking for real. And some died because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Why would you publicise this the week before Galway RAG week. Did you see those videos outside Supermacs, the place will be bad enough without a 'down a naggin and prove you're a man' challenge.

God help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Used to do that when I was 14. Pansies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Got "caught" with this twice this week during RAG week. The rule was it could be done to you after 10:30 am and you had an hour to drink the naggin, not wait until that night to drink it. Era it is a bit of a laugh, most college students could handle drinking a naggin anyway so it's pretty harmless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

6 Seconds was my record back in 1990. Grant's Vodka the tipple of choice.

I was 6 seconds too. Back in the good old days. 6 cans of Strongbow and a naggin for a tenner. And i'm still alive to tell the tale.

Wouldn't do it now, well not every weekend haha, but its just part of grpwing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

At least if you think they are idiots you can understand yourself from the perspective of your younger self who couldn't understand why you are such a square?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Bukfast........now they were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Hardly a new fad. Pretty sure drinking games where you've to down drinks have been around for a good few years at this stage.

Got "caught" with this twice this week during RAG week. The rule was it could be done to you after 10:30 am and you had an hour to drink the naggin, not wait until that night to drink it. Era it is a bit of a laugh, most college students could handle drinking a naggin anyway so it's pretty harmless.

An hour? So just normal drinking really....Ha I like the fact they made it 10.30.....that half hour adds a touch of panache to the affair :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement