Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glor Tire? Reality TV and Country Music. Any opinions?

• 12-02-2015 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

First off, I will readily admit to 2 things: I am not a fan of reality TV in general (be that Big Brother, The Voice of Ireland or whatever) and I am not a fan of newer Irish country music in general (with some exceptions). I am a fan of older, bluesier country music mainly from America although I do like a lot of the older Irish acts too.

Over the past 8 years or so, TNG has released Glor Tire, a reality TV show akin to likes of the X Factor, the Voice, You're a Star, etc. The emphasis is on choosing 1 star from around 12 contestants. I have found a few faults with this show but let's look at the positives first.

1. The contestants do not get put down remarks about them from the judges unlike other reality TV shows. They are encouraged and positive things are said.
    2. Many of the contestants are very good.
    3. Sometimes, we do have as a mentor one of the older legends of Irish music rather than the new crop.

However, there are also downsides. These include the following:

1. The contestant themselves only gets to sing a couple of songs so a full flavour of what they can do is not shown.
    2. Often, it looks like a sales pitch for the mentor, who is already famous, to show off their talent or 'talent' (see 3).
    3. Sometimes, we get some good artists. But mostly, the mentors are the likes of Mike Denver and other boyfolk singers. This is a horrible type of music and is overpromoted on TV.
    4. Perhaps, its Irish language orientation, the requirement for singing a song in Irish and so on discourage others from getting involved.

After giving my own analysis, what is the general consensus about this show?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I guess the other big positive is that they are the only mainstream channel even making an effort to provide for fans of the country sound.

Maybe I'm an old crank but I'd happily ditch the 'reality' format. It's just trying to gild a lily.

I'd give all these performers a full half-hour each, five minutes giving a little background on themselves and their, influences, take on music etc. in their best cúpla focail and then 7 or 8 numbers of their choice live on stage in a single take. A great half-hour show and you wouldn't know what is coming each week. They'd all get a decent TV "shop window" break for their repertoire, and if they have the talent could take it from there. Simple but effective. But as I say, maybe I'm just old school on these matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

topper75 wrote: »
    I guess the other big positive is that they are the only mainstream channel even making an effort to provide for fans of the country sound.

Maybe I'm an old crank but I'd happily ditch the 'reality' format. It's just trying to gild a lily.

I'd give all these performers a full half-hour each, five minutes giving a little background on themselves and their, influences, take on music etc. in their best cúpla focail and then 7 or 8 numbers of their choice live on stage in a single take. A great half-hour show and you wouldn't know what is coming each week. They'd all get a decent TV "shop window" break for their repertoire, and if they have the talent could take it from there. Simple but effective. But as I say, maybe I'm just old school on these matters.

I think the same. I would open the thing up to all up and coming country artists and give them a platform to sing their songs. Music and any art should not be a competition. That's sport.

The main problem with country music in Ireland is that it is a closed shop. ONE sound, which I call boyfolk (a hybrid of country and boyband music) is what is promoted to the detriment of other styles. Glor Tire gives exposure to these people and sets up a reality show where new talent is supposed to be found. I think maybe only 2 performers did well out of this show and that was from one of the very early Glor Tire seasons?

How music is presented to the people needs to change. A show where a performer can sing their songs and reach their audience like you describe would be excellent. But the power of the mediocre 'stars' of modern Irish country would not let this happen and their management seem to have the contacts. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Mike Denver on tonight

Advertisement