Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Increase in Buildings Insurance

Options
  • 12-02-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I've just got my Buildings Insurance renewal (for Wolstan Haven in Celbridge) from AXA, and it's gone up from 45 euro per month to 96 per month - over 100% of an increase. I rang them today, and couldn't get a definitive answer why, other than the risk has been reassessed and the premium raised accordingly. The AXA agent just started guessing reasons; too near the Liffey (3/4 of a mile away) or maybe its potential flooding from rainwater drains. Wasn't sure really.

I find it totally unacceptable that can't even answer a basic question about their own policy. Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

kja1888 wrote: »
    I've just got my Buildings Insurance renewal (for Wolstan Haven in Celbridge) from AXA, and it's gone up from 45 euro per month to 96 per month - over 100% of an increase. I rang them today, and couldn't get a definitive answer why, other than the risk has been reassessed and the premium raised accordingly. The AXA agent just started guessing reasons; too near the Liffey (3/4 of a mile away) or maybe its potential flooding from rainwater drains. Wasn't sure really.

I find it totally unacceptable that can't even answer a basic question about their own policy. Anyone else experiencing this?

Eh - very simple. Switch to another insurance company.

I switch almost every year. Currently pay less than €400 for substantial house and contents

also a huge number of people give house value for insurance - whereas it is house rebuild cost. A 4bed semi would have a rebuild cost of about €150,000 to €180,000. Even if you have it insured for 400k, you'll only get the rebuild cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Insurers will almost always quote higher every year and suddenly be able to drop if you tell them you've got a lower quote.

I live on a road that shows on the OPW Flood Map (although if you read the detail, it was from a root blocking a drain and resulted in no house damage, just an impassable road) meaning some insurers run a mile and I'm coming under 400 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I went onto Zurich Insurance website - put in a hosue that is for sale in Wolstan Haven to ensure accurate quote

4 bed semi, rebuid cost 180k, contents 30k, increased excess to €500, no claims for 6 years.

Quote was €255. - Time to enter details was less than 2 minutes.
    Quote with accidental damage was €277

http://www.zurichinsurance.ie/HOME-INSURANCE/

Advertisement