Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choked barrels on 22rifles?

Options
  • 12-02-2015 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever heard of this?
    I seem to remember reading it somewhere! I even remember DIY methods for re-establishing the choke after cutting a barrel shorter.

I was informed today by someone of standing that no such thing exists.

Can anyone share their opinion or experience on this. We are only talking a few ten-thou of an inch at most.

Perhaps I only ever seen it on airgun rifled barrels but it's also possible that I also seen it mentioned in relatiion to 22lr rifled barrels..

Any guidance or opinion is sought and welcomed..

PS perhaps I seen it in a list of reasons as to why an air rifle barrel can't or shouldn't be used for 22lr rounds..
    ???? A chap called Taylor from Uk has a system for swaging the rifling pattern into the outside of the barrel, afaik he gas made both 22air rifle and 22lr barrels with this method and afaik they both display a choked profile due to the nature of the machining???

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Discussion on it here from a couple of years ago.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of this?
    I seem to remember reading it somewhere! I even remember DIY methods for re-establishing the choke after cutting a barrel shorter.

I was informed today by someone of standing that no such thing exists.

Can anyone share their opinion or experience on this. We are only talking a few ten-thou of an inch at most.

Perhaps I only ever seen it on airgun rifled barrels but it's also possible that I also seen it mentioned in relatiion to 22lr rifled barrels..

Any guidance or opinion is sought and welcomed..

PS perhaps I seen it in a list of reasons as to why an air rifle barrel can't or shouldn't be used for 22lr rounds..
    ???? A chap called Taylor from Uk has a system for swaging the rifling pattern into the outside of the barrel, afaik he gas made both 22air rifle and 22lr barrels with this method and afaik they both display a choked profile due to the nature of the machining???

Hi Zxthinger,most top .22lr barrels are choked and even cheaper CZ barrels, too.Very easy to prove weather or not a .22lr barrel is choked .Pm me if you like.
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads,

This is a discussion forum. Having discussions via PM is counter to the reason for the forum. So if you want to discuss something then do so on thread.

Anything of a personal/private nature, that you want to keep between yourselves, can be done via PM, but there is NO need to post on thread that PMs are being received and replied to.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

top brands like Anschutz would prob be more known for the choked or tapered barrel, I believe the barrel is tighter about 1/4 inch from the muzzle, but a lot of manufacturers barrels are tighter near the muzzle. Manufactures like Anschutz do not recommend shortening their barrels for this reason , Anschutz would say you are cutting away the accuracy.

Don't know if its still the case but if a gunsmith was cutting a barrel they used to try and find another tight spot in the barrel and cut muzzle side of it.

Advertisement