Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak post and beam frame construction

• 12-02-2015 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Has anyone any experience with oak post & beam framing in ireland. I am considering an oak post and beam sunroom which is popular in the UK. My question is more around the glazing (direct and indirect glazing) and possible gaps appearing, lack of air tightness and ingress of water. Has anyone personnel experience with this and Long term ,what is the best approach?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Hi OP,

I've moved your thread over to Construction and Planning. You'll get more appropriate answers here.

The charter for this forum now applies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Keating31

Cheers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Imo Keep the structure inside the window/weathering zone

Thanks BryanF. I take you are suggesting having the windows structurally separate/independent to the oak and placing upright beams inside to support the oak trusses?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Keating31 wrote: »
    Thanks BryanF. I take you are suggesting having the windows structurally separate/independent to the oak and placing upright beams inside to support the oak trusses?

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Keating31 wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with oak post & beam framing in ireland. I am considering an oak post and beam sunroom which is popular in the UK. My question is more around the glazing (direct and indirect glazing) and possible gaps appearing, lack of air tightness and ingress of water. Has anyone personnel experience with this and Long term ,what is the best approach?

If the roof is conventional then it is less problematic than if roof is glazed also

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I am planning on fixing 50mm insulated plaster board to vaulted ceiling followed by timber clad underneath. Is the plaster board required for fire regs or can is instead fix an insulated ridged board follows by timber clad and meet fire regs?

Advertisement