Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been here 5 years - getting lonely

Options
  • 12-02-2015 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I would have thought the first year or 2 would have been lonely and gotten better. Instead it's the other way around. Anyone else like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've always thought it comes in exponential cycles.

First few months exciting
    Next few months lonely after the novelty wears off
    A stint of comfort after making some sort of social network
    Downward swing when you realise connections might not be a strong a those back home.

And so on and so on...

I'm here 5 and a half and I'm having an Everything is Awesome phase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I would have thought the first year or 2 would have been lonely and gotten better. Instead it's the other way around. Anyone else like that?

The years go quick. There's thousands like you with good qualifications but nothing back home. You will just have to sit down and work out a new approach to meeting people, getting involved outside an Irish circle etc. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mynewstoday

Tell me about it. Been here four years. Time for a change, big time!

Although I would agree, it does, for me, come and go in phases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Tell me about it. Been here four years. Time for a change, big time!

Although I would agree, it does, for me, come and go in phases

Have you not many friends? I had friends but decided my beat my own path. I don't regret my decision but it's tough of a Friday evening!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

My friends are mostly my work friends and a few from football - can completely understand that. I go through phases as well of being lonely and then content and back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

My friends are mostly my work friends and a few from football - can completely understand that. I go through phases as well of being lonely and then content and back

Is it London that does it or our personal circumstances I wonder.

Advertisement