Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Has any1 tried to DIY the cracked screen?

• 12-02-2015 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

After much first world howling I got my act together and conceded that I could not continue to look at the spidery veins of cracked glass that had appeared after a simple iPhone bounce across the Tarmac. I glanced at some instructions on the web & ordered my fix it pack through amazon which should be winging its way to me as I type. My question to you, has anyone successfully operated on an apple device to a positive outcome so that mommy and baby are reunited & there is no long lasting damage that would heed baby's development? I feel confident enough to perform the op myself. Any tips from other phone surgeons would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

It's pretty simple on the 5 and I'm sure the 5s is almost identical to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Use the guides on ifixit to help ya along.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

I've replaced the screen on my iPhone 4 using a replacement bought off ebay and an iFixit guide. A bit fiddly, but not impossible.

Advice would be to :-
    1. have a clear work area and place each part with it's screws as you disassemble it (there are printable templates for this) as all the screws are different.

2. Be careful not to tear or break the various flex cables as they can be somewhat delicate.

3. Make sure you give yourself sufficient time to do the dis assembly and reassembly. If you lose or damage any of the bits your phone is stuffed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭jay2k6ie

Layla C wrote: »
    After much first world howling I got my act together and conceded that I could not continue to look at the spidery veins of cracked glass that had appeared after a simple iPhone bounce across the Tarmac. I glanced at some instructions on the web & ordered my fix it pack through amazon which should be winging its way to me as I type. My question to you, has anyone successfully operated on an apple device to a positive outcome so that mommy and baby are reunited & there is no long lasting damage that would heed baby's development? I feel confident enough to perform the op myself. Any tips from other phone surgeons would be appreciated.

You're better off getting a reputable repair centre to fix it for you. That way there is no risk of you doing further damage or wasting money on parts that don't work. iPhone 5 screens are cheap enough to have replaced these days approx €60. Reputable repair centres will give you a warranty on the repair for peace of mind.

Advertisement