Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ireland to Spain ferry...whatever happened to that?

• 13-02-2015 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

rat_race wrote: »
    Stopped from lack of business first, then the boat went to the Med and caught fire.
    Was on the news recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

^^

Not enough business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Shame, I'd planned to use it for tour around Spain. Other options are more hassle.

gbob wrote: »
    Shame, I'd planned to use it for tour around Spain. Other options are more hassle.
    Yeah it would have been a nice option, reports were good from anyone that used it, most just went to France by the sounds of it.
    Was another day to Gijon with stopover in St Nazaire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gbob wrote: »

Ferry to England, drive for three hours, then ferry to spain. Very little longer or more expensive to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yeah it would have been a nice option, reports were good from anyone that used it, most just went to France by the sounds of it.
    Was another day to Gijon with stopover in St Nazaire.

I think it was faster to get off at St Nazire and drive the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

Why on earth don't they have direct ferry from Rosslare to Gijón???

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Not enough business...feck sake. But surely these things take a while to get a name. And why would they introduce a new route without doing market research...or if they did market research, they didn't market it after the service started.

I literally heard nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

They were getting sponsored by the Asturias government and they pulled the plug because of the crisis so they decided to pull out. Same thing happened with Ryanair flying to Santiago de Compostela. The Galician government stopped paying Ryanair and O'Leary discontinued the flights. The lesson is better keep your own companies instead of selling them out or you may end up in the hands of foreign companies who only care about profit.

I saw it on Bargain alerts, booked for 15th June.
    Close to the date I found out they were cancelling up to the 18th of June.
    Cancelled and booked Brittany Ferries out of Cork.
    In fairness they gave a full refund or would have put us on to the Irish Ferries sailing on the same date, but part of the attraction was the St Nazaire landing which saves quite a lot of miles on the Roscoff landing.
    Gijon would have been cool but I guess there isn't enough demand from Ireland for a direct service.
    You could go UK-Plymouth-Santander in the summer with Brittany, More or less the same thing as there was a stop in St Nazaire for a few Hrs with LD lines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement