Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Race for the Top Four Finish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Southampton
    My predicted top four:
    Chelsea
    United
    Arsenal
    Liverpool

City meltdown...enough to be overtaken by three teams...

Raf32 wrote: »
    Think its time City got a mention in here. Their form is alarming but they should just do it but who knows. 6 teams for three spots now.

You can get 20/1 on City finishing outside the top 4.

I think they'll do it (finish top 4) handy enough.

2nd and 3rd are essentially the same thing bar some extra place money. They'll take one of these spots I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Southampton
    Its all about points on the board.
    The top 4 seem to have opened a big enough gap now with 10 games left. The worst of the 4, Manchester United, have a goal difference far superior to the chasers as well, so that's as good as another point.
    The excitement now is about who chases home Chelsea, surely.
    Liverpool have to play Jonjo Shelvey next, followed by the red teams in 3rd and 4th. Nothing easy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Southampton
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    You can get 20/1 on City finishing outside the top 4.

I think they'll do it (finish top 4) handy enough.

2nd and 3rd are essentially the same thing bar some extra place money. They'll take one of these spots I'd imagine

You are probably right but if they stumble again over next two,
    West Brom (h) and Palace (a) then it sets up a very tasty Manchester Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Southampton
    jacool wrote: »
    The top 4 seem to have opened a big enough gap now with 10 games left. The worst of the 4, Manchester United, have a goal difference far superior to the chasers as well, so that's as good as another point.
    Liverpool have to play Jonjo Shelvey next, followed by the red teams in 3rd and 4th. Nothing easy there.

No, its as good as another half a point. Sorry, a bugbear of mine ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Manchester Utd
    jacool wrote: »

They have to at worst win 1, draw one and lose one of those 3 (with the win coming against Utd) or they've basically no chance (would need 7/7 wins, including Chelsea away) and GD won't come into it.

If Liverpool do what they need on the winning front to get around the 75pt mark, then I can't see there being much difference in GD by the end.
    We don't need to batter Utd or anything. Even a 2 goal victory would bring it back down to 8+/- tonight's GD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Southampton
    ronjo wrote: »
    No, its as good as another half a point. Sorry, a bugbear of mine ;)
    Bugbear noted !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Very important win for Liverpool tonight. and sets up a really superb clash on Sunday. Table is as follows with remaining games below. Presuming Chelsea have it won which is more than fair:

d06fd42da8ae332f11eab23de3d9fbf5.png

Manchester City: WBA (H), Palace (A), Man United (A), West Ham (H), Villa (H), Spurs (A), QPR (H), Swansea (A), Southampton (H).

Arsenal: Newcastle (A), Liverpool (H), Burnley (A), Sunderland (H), Chelsea (H), Hull (A), Swansea (H), Man United (A), WBA (H).

Manchester United: Liverpool (A), Villa (H), Man City (H), Chelsea (A), Everton (A), WBA (H), Palace (A), Arsenal (H), Hull (A).

Liverpool: Man United (H), Arsenal (A), Newcastle (H), Hull (A), WBA (A), QPR (H), Chelsea (A), Palace (H), Stoke (A).

Southampton: Burnley (H), Everton (A), Hull (H), Stoke (A), Spurs (H), Sunderland (A), Leicester (A), Villa (H), Man City (A).

Tottenham: Leicester (H), Burnley (A), Villa (H), Newcastle (A), Southampton (A), Man City (H), Stoke (A), Hull (H), Everton (A).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Tottenham Hotspur
    great ending to the season.
    Not had anything like this in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Southampton
    City would want to get themselves together very fast. Three teams hitting a bit of steam behind them now.

• Advertisement

Arsene Wenger believes 72 points will be needed to make sure of getting a top 4 spot.
    You can see the quality of the teams behind us. Seventy-two points might be enough.

‘People have finished in the top four with 67 points, but if you look at this year, we have 51 points, so it will be in the 70s. It is a tough run-in, similar to last year.’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Southampton
    6 wins from the next 9, so, for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Manchester Utd
    How the hell has that utd defence only conceded 26 goals:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Manchester Utd
    shamrock55 wrote: »

David de Gea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure Liverpool have only conceded four more with Mignolet in goals! ;)

Looking at the for and against across the top 5 its as if everyone is on a diet after last seasons madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Sure Liverpool have only conceded four more with Mignolet in goals! ;)

Looking at the for and against across the top 5 its as if everyone is on a diet after last seasons madness.
    mignolet wasnt in goals for 5 of those goals;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Southampton

It's not as bad as you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Southampton
    Biggest game of the season Sunday in terms of top 4 for both clubs

A draw would put Liverpool favourites, a loss would almost rule United out completely imo

A win for United and going 5 points clear may just about give us the breathing room and morale boost required to finish ahead, points will be dropped but I'm not sure that many will

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Biggest game of the season Sunday in terms of top 4 for both clubs

A draw would put Liverpool favourites, a loss would almost rule United out completely imo

A win for United and going 5 points clear may just about give us the breathing room and morale boost required to finish ahead, points will be dropped but I'm not sure that many will

A loss would not come close to ruling Utd out. Liverpool still have trips to Arsenal, Chelsea, West Brom, Hull and Stoke. Most of those are very tricky. Lots of twists left yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Liverpool
    United have the toughest remaining fixtures .. wouldnt be surprized to see them outside the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Liverpool

Not being in the champions league is the best recipe for getting into it !! Look at Liverpool#'s stats last season ....

United had arguably their best performance of the season v Spurs so they go to Anfield full of confidence.

A loss for either team doesn't rule them out, that's nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Manchester Utd
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    United had arguably their best performance of the season v Spurs so they go to Anfield full of confidence.

A loss for either team doesn't rule them out, that's nonsense.

I don't know a utd win makes it very tough. Have to make up 6 points. I'd take a draw now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Manchester Utd
    Utd recent away form should be a bit of a concern for them. Last 6 DDWDLW
    They have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton, Hull and Palace away. Could drop points in a few of those.

• Southampton
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Utd recent away form should be a bit of a concern for them. Last 6 DDWDLW
    They have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, Everton, Hull and Palace away. Could drop points in a few of those.

We only need a draw against Liverpool, 1 loss out of six is a concern to you?
    If we perform as we did Sunday with the same 11 a result is defiantly achievable at Anfield.
    Its a must win for Liverpool, not Utd
    I will be happy with a draw and most importantly a repeat performance to take confidence to Stamford Bridge thereafter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It's not a must win for a Liverpool.

Have you seen Utd's next few fixtures?

Utd could easily win & yet liverpool could still be ahead of them in the table within the next few weeks.

In my opinion, both teams will be very happy with a draw & as such that'll be the most likely outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Manchester Utd
    The impetus on us will be to win. It's not a must-win, but we are at home, we are behind United, we will be the team expected to win.

I don't think Rodgers or any of the those Liverpool players are at all thinking about settling for a draw and rightly so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Oh I agree, I think we'll be pushing as hard as we can for a win.

However it'd foolish with the fixtures Utd have coming up to go too gung-ho.

Despite the fact most Utd fans would probably be happy with a draw, it'd actually be a better result for Liverpool than Utd.

One thing that might be worth looking at is fixtures teams have against 1) fellow teams challenging for the top four 2) teams fighting against relegation. There's always teams who seem to take their foot off the gas once they're safe and/or virtually ruled out of contention for anything else.

Games against teams with "nothing to play for":

City - 4
    Arsenal - 3
    United - 3
    Liverpool - 4
    Southampton - 2
    Spurs - 3

Games against teams challenging for top four (including Chelsea) or survival:

City - 5
    Arsenal - 6
    United - 6
    Liverpool - 5
    Southampton - 7
    Spurs - 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Liverpool
    Sundays game is huge but sundays result doesnt decide anything. Even if liverpool lose i wouldnt say its over, though it would be a big blow for them. To suggest itd be over for united if they lose is ludicrous, theyd be a point behind liverpool with a far superior goal difference and 8 games to play...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Southampton
    Paully D wrote: »
    One thing that might be worth looking at is fixtures teams have against 1) fellow teams challenging for the top four 2) teams fighting against relegation. There's always teams who seem to take their foot off the gas once they're safe and/or virtually ruled out of contention for anything else.

City - 4
    Arsenal - 3
    United - 3
    Liverpool - 4
    Southampton - 2
    Spurs - 3

City - 5
    Arsenal - 6
    United - 6
    Liverpool - 5
    Southampton - 7
    Spurs - 6

Wasn't that survival myth debunked? They're still mostly pants except for the rare heroic survival story?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Southampton
    MR NINE wrote: »
    Sundays game is huge but sundays result doesnt decide anything. Even if liverpool lose i wouldnt say its over, though it would be a big blow for them. To suggest itd be over for united if they lose is ludicrous, theyd be a point behind liverpool with a far superior goal difference and 8 games to play...

Pool are in title winning form though. A win on Sunday would be absolutely huge for them, if it happens I'd bet anything on them making top 4, Utd's remaining games are just too tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Manchester Utd
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    If we perform as we did Sunday with the same 11 a result is defiantly achievable at Anfield.
    Its a must win for Liverpool, not Utd
    I will be happy with a draw and most importantly a repeat performance to take confidence to Stamford Bridge thereafter

2 wins out of 6 would concern me. And more draws than wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Southampton
    Montroseee wrote: »
    Pool are in title winning form though. A win on Sunday would be absolutely huge for them, if it happens I'd bet anything on them making top 4, Utd's remaining games are just too tough.

in the last 10 games in all competitions, united have won 7, L2, D1

Liverpool have won 7, L1, D2.

pretty similar form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

United have a tough run in but Liverpool are gone if they lose their next two. United have Villa at home after the Anfield battle, Liverpool have Arsenal away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Manchester Utd
    Paully D wrote: »

City - 4
    Arsenal - 3
    United - 3
    Liverpool - 4
    Southampton - 2
    Spurs - 3

City - 5
    Arsenal - 6
    United - 6
    Liverpool - 5
    Southampton - 7
    Spurs - 6

This is basically pointing up that LFC (for instance) should benefit by apprx 3 points more than United allowing for difficulty of games, so in that context a draw would be of benefit to LFC. A loss would not be end of world but making up six points is tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Manchester Utd

Only 2 wins out of 6 isn't a concern for you?

• Southampton
    Only 2 wins out of 6 isn't a concern for you?

If we stick with the 11 that started against Spurs we could hit a run of form. All the matches we are going to play till the end of the season are all winnable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Southampton
    If we stick with the 11 that started against Spurs we could hit a run of form. All the matches we are going to play till the end of the season are all winnable.

I'm not having a go per se but, don't Man Utd have to play, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea from now till the end of the season. So basically what you are saying is that any match all season was winnable, as they are 4 of the best 5 teams in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Southampton
    interesting graph here. Based on this Man Utd will have by far the freshest squad going into the final furlongs...

fatuigue-avg-games.jpg

I'm not having a go per se but, don't Man Utd have to play, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea from now till the end of the season. So basically what you are saying is that any match all season was winnable, as they are 4 of the best 5 teams in the league.

What he is saying essentially is that every match for every team is winnable.

Profound stuff that no one had considered before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its amazing what no Cup football can do for your freshness rating,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Southampton
    United to win the league so.

Its amazing what no Cup football can do for your freshness rating,

It's a silly chart though. I think utd played several players in the MK Dons tie who have not figured since much or even left the club. The figures should really be based on the 15 or so most likely to start if fit which they clearly are not. The clubs in european competition or those who had a deep run will still be top, but at least it would be an honest representation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Southampton
    Knex. wrote: »
    United to win the league so.

with Palace finishing 2nd ? ;)

• Southampton

And look at liverpools run in?
    Chelsea's?
    Arsenals?
    Man city's?
    They all play top tier sides.
    What's the differance? Suddenly there's some crazy impression that Man Utd have no ability to compete.

• Southampton
    5starpool wrote: »
    What he is saying essentially is that every match for every team is winnable.

Profound stuff that no one had considered before.

I responded about a question on form and have made it clear that there's no reason Last Sunday cannot be a catalyst for a good run of form.
    Typical response from you

The top 4 teams that finishes with the most points will take top 4..

• Advertisement

I responded about a question on form and have made it clear that there's no reason Last Sunday cannot be a catalyst for a good run of form.
    Typical response from you

I'm sorry to have disappointed, or perhaps just lived up to your low expectations of me Mick. Your disapproval haunts me, truly.

Advertisement