Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overstayed WHV in Oz - Will it affect an application for an IEC Canadian visa?

Options
  • 13-02-2015 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there. I was in Oz for 2 years on a working holiday visa. However, I got the opportunity to be sponsored half way through my 2nd year. Unfortunately for me, the company went into administration about 4 weeks after I lodged my application for sponsorship. Eventually, I was advised by my immigration lawyer to withdraw my application. I was then put on a Bridging Visa which meant - I had "1 month" to leave the country. The thing is, I already had flights booked home from Oz for 2 months after that date and wasn't in a position to book new flights as I had paid $7,000 for the sponsorship visa (which frustratingly wasn't refundable).

Anyway, I'm just wondering what kind of questions are asked in relation to "over-staying temporary visas in other countries" for the IEC application. And how strict, or lenient, can the immigration officers be, given that I had a legitimate reason for overstaying and it wasn't an excessive overstay duration etc.

Should I keep quiet about it, or just explain my situation and hope that they give me a chance?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 9nlik1mqejofsw

Hi there!

Can't say I've been in your position before but I've travelled through Canadian visa customs a good bit and can give you a sense of what they'll ask?

I have a couple of American stamps on my passport and a good bit of Canadian tourist visas stamps too and when I was in with the officer, all I was asked was dates (roughly) of when I went to wherever, how long I was there, who with and what for. That was it? It wasn't a huge grilling, just a Q & A. Unless they get into details, you'll probably be fine? And if that's the case just explain!
    Best advice would to have as much evidence (?) that you can physically have to prove you are prepared to live in Canada i.e enough funds for 3 months, insurance, potential employment/potential housing (not necessary but always help) and you've got somewhere to stay while you're looking for either.

If you lived in Aus for so long, you will need a police cert from them and so that's the only thing that could bring up questions if it said anything on it?

Good luck! It's not a bad as people fear! I was nearly shaking the first time I was sent into the visa room but it's honestly just questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meka

Great, thanks for sharing your experience with me. :)

Advertisement